Bernie Hunt

Default Asbestos Containment

I'm in the process of replacing my mother in law's stove and when I removed
the old stove, I think I have found a panel of asbestos being used to shield
the heat from the wall next to the stove. It's intact and is covered by the
stove. Is there any thing I can spray over the panel to contain any asbestos
that it may contain? I have a HVLP sprayer and can spray most any kind of
liquid. Is there a product that is heat resistant that I can incapsolate the
panel with?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Bernie Hunt" in
t:

I'm in the process of replacing my mother in law's stove and when I
removed the old stove, I think I have found a panel of asbestos being
used to shield the heat from the wall next to the stove. It's intact
and is covered by the stove. Is there any thing I can spray over the
panel to contain any asbestos that it may contain? I have a HVLP
sprayer and can spray most any kind of liquid. Is there a product that
is heat resistant that I can incapsolate the panel with?

if behind the stove, it's probably sticky with 70 years of old grease
fumes... :-)

hasn't the panel been painted a few times yet?

maybe chimney-insert sellers can suggest patch or sealers?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
t...
I'm in the process of replacing my mother in law's stove and when I
removed the old stove, I think I have found a panel of asbestos being used
to shield the heat from the wall next to the stove. It's intact and is
covered by the stove. Is there any thing I can spray over the panel to
contain any asbestos that it may contain?

If you are talking about a typical home style kitchen stove, no heat shield
is necesary. The wall can be painted with latex paint so if that is good
enough for any home, it will be good enough over the panel, should you
desire leaving it in place. Or cover it with a thin piece of sheet metal.

DanG

The transite sheet; unless it has been rubbed, drilled, sanded,
sawn. etc; would not be in a friable condition. At this time it
is not a controlled material here. When I say controlled, it does
not have to go to a registered landfill and does not have to be
dealt with by licensed contractors, at least not here.

There is no reason to encapsulate it. Was it screwed or nailed?
Why ;not just remove it if it worries you?

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

[...]

If its a hard/rigid board, like an asbestos shingle, and it doesn't flake,
puff, or shed dust when you poke it with your finger, then you don't need
to encapsulate it with anything. If you just want to pamper your own
phobias, take the thing out entirely, bury it in the back yard in the dark of
the
moon, and replace it with sheetmetal.

--Goedjn