Posted to alt.home.repair

Default strap antenna mast to chimney ??

I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney

Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2012 9:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

Is this a trick question?

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1079225.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2012 6:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

you can get a strap kit at home depot. unless you're going through
hurricanes frequently, they're just fine if the chimney is in good shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message
On 9/24/2012 6:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the
house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

you can get a strap kit at home depot. unless you're going through
hurricanes frequently, they're just fine if the chimney is in good shape.

Thanks
Not yet sure it's going to be a permanent install.
But the Chimney is in good shape and is actually a 3 chimney stack -
Furnace + 2 fireplaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 8:02*am, "Atila Iskander" wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) * *Tripod base on roof
2) * *Strap mast to brick chimney

Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

Before there was cable, everyone had an antenna on the roof of their
house. A t least half of those were fastened to the chimney by straps
that went around the chimney. Rich folks used stainless steeel
straps, poorer folks used ordinary iron straps that rusted after a
couple of years. It was one way to see who had more money without
having to ask. So, if you want to impress folks, be sure to get a
mounting kit with stainless steel strapsg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atila Iskander" wrote in message
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

If the chimney is in good shape, it is fine. There are strapping kits for
that. Also if the pole goes to the roof, put a block of wood or other
material between the roof and the pole to keep from cutting in to the roof.

One other thing to look at, if the antenna is on a chimney is how much the
chimney is used and what is comming out of it. The gasses comming off the
chimney may harm the antenna, rotator, or feed line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2012 8:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

millions of tv antennas were mounted this way. There's a kit to do it.
Google is your friend.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Atila Iskander wrote:

"chaniarts" wrote in message
On 9/24/2012 6:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the
house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

you can get a strap kit at home depot. unless you're going through
hurricanes frequently, they're just fine if the chimney is in good shape.

Thanks
Not yet sure it's going to be a permanent install.
But the Chimney is in good shape and is actually a 3 chimney stack -
Furnace + 2 fireplaces.

Attic space not an option or eaves mount?
How big and heavy is the antenna?
There are various hardware kits available at places
like RS.

=
(m'

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Atila Iskander" wrote in message
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the
house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

If the chimney is in good shape, it is fine. There are strapping kits for
that. Also if the pole goes to the roof, put a block of wood or other
material between the roof and the pole to keep from cutting in to the
roof.

One other thing to look at, if the antenna is on a chimney is how much the
chimney is used and what is comming out of it. The gasses comming off the
chimney may harm the antenna, rotator, or feed line.

Fireplaces not used at all.
They're the old style where more heat goes up the flue than goes into the
house
The furnace and ho water heater are vented separately now
Looking at putting high efficiency gas fireplace into one.
A modern wood-burner stove in the other as a "just-in-case" heat backup.. A
friend put one in his basement, and he can heat a whole 2 storey house with
it.
But those plans are not future projects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 9/24/2012 8:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the
house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

millions of tv antennas were mounted this way. There's a kit to do it.
Google is your friend.

Already did.
Although I've never seen one in actual use that I remember
But was worried about possible damage to chimney

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/12 8:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

I wonder if a ratchet strap would work. Maybe attach the
antenna mounting pipe to a treated 1x6 or 2x4. Strap the whole
thing to the chimney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 6:02*am, "Atila Iskander" wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) * *Tripod base on roof
2) * *Strap mast to brick chimney

Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

From experience, strap to chimney is ok, BUT don't count on the
strapping for real strength. The strength in a wind comes from how ell
you do the guy wires. But putting the antenna up on a calm day is a
lot easier. oh yeah watch out for the pole to accidentally punch the
roof and causing a leak, so prevent that too
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Atila Iskander wrote:

"chaniarts" wrote in message
[...]

This is the antenna that was given me (free)
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/C2-Clearstream-DTV-antenna.html
It's supposed to be used outdoor
Indoor causes about 50% performance loss, so indoor is not an option.
Also attic insulation includes aluminum foil, so it would be probably
100% loss of performance.

I can walk the roof to the chimney stack,
Eaves would require 3 floor ladder or leaning over roof edge to attach
(not interested)

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Atila Iskander" wrote in message
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

As others have said, using a chimney mount is quite easy, and secure if the
chimney is in good condition. I've used them for decades at several
different houses. If the masting is over 10 ft. and/or the antenna is large,
it's best to guy the masting. I just installed a new chimney mount on my
current house and bought a Channel Master 3080 chimney mount kit which has
heavy duty brackets and 12 ft. long straps. I got it for $15 from
Amazon.com. Some kits have straps that are only 6 feet long so measure your
chimney before you buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atila Iskander" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Atila Iskander wrote:

"chaniarts" wrote in message
[...]

Some still broadcast on VHF frequencies this antenna will not pick up. The
numbers are small.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"gregz" wrote in message
"Atila Iskander" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

.................................................. ........SNIP...................................... .................................................. ..
Some still broadcast on VHF frequencies this antenna will not pick up. The
numbers are small.

Greg

Quite true.....the OP might want to go to www.tvfool.com and find out what
"real frequency" their local channels are being broadcast on (versus the
virtual channel numbers which mean nothing to the antenna). If any are real
channel 2 thru 13 then a VHF/UHF combination antenna might be needed.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

Posted to alt.home.repair

SRN wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
"Atila Iskander" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

.................................................. .......SNIP....................................... .................................................. .
Some still broadcast on VHF frequencies this antenna will not pick up. The
numbers are small.

Greg

Quite true.....the OP might want to go to www.tvfool.com and find out what
"real frequency" their local channels are being broadcast on (versus the
virtual channel numbers which mean nothing to the antenna). If any are real
channel 2 thru 13 then a VHF/UHF combination antenna might be needed.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

Hmmm,
It all depends how far the transmitter is what the channels are VHF or
UHF,etc. I home brewed a log periodic antenna measuring ~4 feet boom
length and ~3 feet wide at longest element. It covers VHF/UHF bands.
Installed in the attic of my cabin 70 miles away from the city.
My cabin roof is metal standing rib. This antenna work pretty good.
No need to worry about wind or lightning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2012 9:57 PM, gregz wrote:
"Atila Iskander" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Atila Iskander wrote:

"chaniarts" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes the government can be extra ingenious. When they did the move
to DTV here all stations except one are now on UHF frequencies. It
simplifies outdoor antennas so much...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, 26 September 2012 08:45:09 UTC-4, George wrote:

Sometimes the government can be extra ingenious. When they did the move
to DTV here all stations except one are now on UHF frequencies. It
simplifies outdoor antennas so much...

Doesn't it, though? Sure is nice to have a use for all those signal combiners we've got lying around.

But just to be extra, EXTRA ingenious, during the transitional phase, those same stations had their DTV signals on temporary UHF allocations. I mean, no sense having a testing phase that actually mimics the proposed final conditions, right?

Hey, let's add another really, really clever bit: in the country's largest market, let's make sure one of the stations whose signal will be reverting to VHF after everyone's put up their UHF-only antennas ... is the one sending out the TV Guide On-Screen signal!

Chip C
Toronto

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
"Atila Iskander" wrote:

I can walk the roof to the chimney stack,
Eaves would require 3 floor ladder or leaning over roof edge to attach
(not interested)

Some still broadcast on VHF frequencies this antenna will not pick up. The
numbers are small.

1) Not sure what you mean by "the numbers are small".
2) Hadn't noticed that the ClearStream was UHF only
But I am currently picking up all channels with the Clearstream,
indoors at ground level., including the two stations broadcasting in VHF
(according to TVFool.com).
So it should work even better higher up with no walls

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atila Iskander" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Atila Iskander wrote:

"chaniarts" wrote in message
[...]

It was the local PBS stations which got all ready to go UHF, and the FCC
came back and said they had to use channel 13. I think the station had the
same feelings. I was talking to them at the time because I was doing some
interference testing on building near antenna.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atila Iskander" wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
"Atila Iskander" wrote:

I can walk the roof to the chimney stack,
Eaves would require 3 floor ladder or leaning over roof edge to attach
(not interested)

Some still broadcast on VHF frequencies this antenna will not pick up. The
numbers are small.

1) Not sure what you mean by "the numbers are small".
2) Hadn't noticed that the ClearStream was UHF only
But I am currently picking up all channels with the Clearstream,
indoors at ground level., including the two stations broadcasting in VHF
(according to TVFool.com).
So it should work even better higher up with no walls

Only one channel here on VHF that I know of.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:02:38 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney

Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

This was common on older homes, and worked well as long as the chinmey
was solid. However, you may be in for a shock if you have a newer home,
because most new homes no longer have a chimney. Modern furnaces only
need a pvc pipe venting out the wall to get rid of exhaust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Over time (years), the gases released by your chimney or flue pipe have
a nasty effect on the antenna, pitting the aluminum quite badly,
possibly having an impact on reception, or at least that is what I have
seen at my location over a span of 5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the
house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney

Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

This was common on older homes, and worked well as long as the chinmey
was solid. However, you may be in for a shock if you have a newer home,
because most new homes no longer have a chimney. Modern furnaces only
need a pvc pipe venting out the wall to get rid of exhaust.

Solid brick chimney, going all the way down to the basement, built in 1953.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Stone" wrote in message
Over time (years), the gases released by your chimney or flue pipe have a
nasty effect on the antenna, pitting the aluminum quite badly, possibly
having an impact on reception, or at least that is what I have seen at my
location over a span of 5 years.

Who know where I or technology will be in 5 years...