Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default strap antenna mast to chimney ??

George wrote:
On 9/25/2012 9:57 PM, gregz wrote:
"Atila Iskander" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Atila Iskander wrote:

"chaniarts" wrote in message
On 9/24/2012 6:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the
house

Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast
1) Tripod base on roof
2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution
If so, what is the best way to do it ?

you can get a strap kit at home depot. unless you're going through
hurricanes frequently, they're just fine if the chimney is in good shape.

Thanks
Not yet sure it's going to be a permanent install.
But the Chimney is in good shape and is actually a 3 chimney stack -
Furnace + 2 fireplaces.

Attic space not an option or eaves mount?
How big and heavy is the antenna?
There are various hardware kits available at places
like RS.

This is the antenna that was given me (free)
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/C2-Clearstream-DTV-antenna.html
It's supposed to be used outdoor
Indoor causes about 50% performance loss, so indoor is not an option.
Also attic insulation includes aluminum foil, so it would be probably
100% loss of performance.

I can walk the roof to the chimney stack,
Eaves would require 3 floor ladder or leaning over roof edge to attach
(not interested)

Some still broadcast on VHF frequencies this antenna will not pick up. The
numbers are small.

Greg

Sometimes the government can be extra ingenious. When they did the move
to DTV here all stations except one are now on UHF frequencies. It
simplifies outdoor antennas so much...

It was the local PBS stations which got all ready to go UHF, and the FCC
came back and said they had to use channel 13. I think the station had the
same feelings. I was talking to them at the time because I was doing some
interference testing on building near antenna.

Greg