Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Cellphone puzzler questions

I've had a basic Tracfone for a few years. It makes calls, texts, and
can get basic internet service. It's just a simple phone without any
bells and whistles. I can download pictures for a fee to use as
wallpaper, or download ringtones also for a fee. I dont want a contract
phone, because I dont make that many calls or send many texts. A $20
phone card will last me 2 or 3 months.

However I'm looking into getting a more advanced phone. The main reason
is that it has a larger screen and full keyboard. Both of these are
needed, since my eyesite is not the greatest and texting with the
standard keypad is miserable. The other advantage is that it has a
camera. Although I do have a regular digital camera, I do like the idea
of having a camera phone, because I often want to take a picture and
dont have my camera with me.

My question is this? If I take a picture with the camera, how do I get
the picture onto my computer? The phone I'm looking at, is a LG501C,
which is compatible with Tracfone. It says it has "Bluetooth
Technology".... What does that do? Is that some sort of cable that
connects to a computer for transferring photos? I dont see any sense
having a phone camera if I cant get the pictures out of the phone and
onto my computer.

(I've heard some people saying they can send pictures to friends who use
Facebook, but I dont and wont use Facebook, so that leaves out that
option).

Seems the young kids understand all of this cellphone stuff, but an old
fart like myself is totally confused by it....

Thanks for all advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You can buy a USB cable which connects to the phone. I got one with a
charger for the car, and a case for 9.99 + 3.00 S&H. I haven't tried
that cable yet. I think Bluetooth is mostly for connecting to those
"head/ear sets" you see people wearing, but some computers may have it
too (probably not many). Good luck!

Bill

The phone I'm looking at, is a LG501C,
which is compatible with Tracfone. It says it has "Bluetooth
Technology".... What does that do? Is that some sort of cable that
connects to a computer for transferring photos? I dont see any sense
having a phone camera if I cant get the pictures out of the phone and
onto my computer.

(I've heard some people saying they can send pictures to friends who use
Facebook, but I dont and wont use Facebook, so that leaves out that
option).

Seems the young kids understand all of this cellphone stuff, but an old
fart like myself is totally confused by it....

Thanks for all advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
The phone will come with a manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

what did the manufacturers site say when you looked up that phone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Some phones you can purchase a USB kit to interface with the computer. Other
the charging cord (has a USB plug) does the same function. I'm playing
with a BlueTooth enabled phone now that 'should' do the deed. So far I'm
not doing well but I think that's a case of open user.

As to the other. We use pagepluscellular.com and I'm told you can get for a
price the ability to send and receive data. I've not done that yet so I can
say how well it works or the cost. We have two phones (prepaid) on the
system and one cost $10 /120day and the other $25/120 days. (we don't talk
that much)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Unsolicited advice: Consider buying your 'phone - whatever one you choose -
from a reliable Ebay seller. It will be as much as 90% less than the same
phone bought from a network supplier. Batteries too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/20/2012 11:50 PM, Lisa BB. wrote:

[snip]

You get the pics off the phone and on to a PC by purchasing a cable that
plugs into the phone. Then the PC sees the phone as another drive. You
drag and drop to your PC.

I wish my phone (LG420G Tracfone) would do that. However, I can get
pictures off it using Bluetooth.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Praying is like a rocking chair-- it'll give you something to do, but
it won't get you anywhere. [Gypsy Rose Lee]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:51:45 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I wish my phone (LG420G Tracfone) would do that. However, I can get
pictures off it using Bluetooth.

Please explain how you do that!!!!!

I dont understand anything about Blue Tooth, or even what it is....
Someone said that it works for those hands-free devices too, but what is
it? Is it a cable, a connector, a software, or what??????

If I was 13 years old, I'd probably know all of this
Seems that all the kids learn these days in school, is how to use a
cellphone...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You can buy a USB blutooth dongle (mine was less than 10 bucks) and
transfer files from your phone (including photo files) to your computer
via bluetooth....or you can save your photos on the SD card and put
that in your computer card reader,... or you can use a cable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9IfpSz7c7M
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:49:09 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I'm sure it will, but that dont help me before the purchase. I wont buy
it if I cant get the pictures out of it. I wont have a manual until I
buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Sep 2012 04:50:14 GMT, "Lisa BB."
wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

I have the LG 800g. Triple minutes 4 life. I love it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31632_7...fones-lg-800g-
prepaid-touch-screen-feature-phone/

Look on you tube.

As for the LG501C, the buttons are small and so is the screen.
I had one and got rid of it.
The LG800g has a virutal QWERTY keyboard as well as other stuff u r looking
for.

You get the pics off the phone and on to a PC by purchasing a cable that
plugs into the phone. Then the PC sees the phone as another drive. You
drag and drop to your PC.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Isn't that just a standard USB cable?

Thanks for all your useful help!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

[...]

has anyone suggested that he can just email them to himself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:00:44 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

[...]

That costs money., Although I have no idea how much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:30:22 -0500,
wrote:

[...]

Bluetooth is the same as a cable without the cable. It's good for 3
or 4 feet iirc. Maybe more.

I bought both of these two almost exactly a year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00

One worked and the other didnt' seem to, but since they were $1.80 and
2.15 I didn't mind much I didn't spend much time on the first one
after the second one worked immediately. Just plug it in.

Now they are cheaper, under a dollar and under two dollars, including
shipping, I think it was the one without the CD that worked. But
if it was the other one, I still didn't need the CD with XP (or
higher, I assume) All I did is plug it in to a USB jack. The
computer sees it and installs it.

I dont see any sense
having a phone camera if I cant get the pictures out of the phone and
onto my computer.

(I've heard some people saying they can send pictures to friends who use
Facebook, but I dont and wont use Facebook, so that leaves out that
option).

Smart guy. Facebook is run by people who didn't have faces, so now
they use their membes' Sort of like zombies.

Seems the young kids understand all of this cellphone stuff, but an old
fart like myself is totally confused by it....

Thanks for all advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:52:54 -0500,
wrote:

On 21 Sep 2012 04:50:14 GMT, "Lisa BB."
wrote:

wrote in
m:

[...]

Well, some might say that standard means the big end to another
identical big end.

Othes would say it's one of 4 possible standard cables, all ending
with the big end.

You should get your phone before you get accessories, so you get ones
that fit. . Some phones come with some accessories. Most come with
AC chargers, and for my phone, the same cable from the charger to the
phone also will go from the computer to the phone. But they are not
all like that. I think eveyrone needs a car charger, which are no
more than 5 dollars iirc on the web, including Amazon.

Plus my new smart phone with the camera and the big screen, I
sometimes have to go into the shade to see what's on the screen. I
bought some screen protectors for 2 dollars on Amazon. Don't get the
perfectly clear iiuc. They are protection but won't help see things.
Glare-resistant, I think you need, but otoh mirror type I think would
keep me from seeing what's on the phone if I'm looking at an angle.

Thanks for all your useful help!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

So going to lg.com and putting LG501C into the search box didn't produce
a page with the manual, drivers and instructions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

LG has the complete manual, drivers and instructions on their site. Also
I called them one time and spoke to someone in the US who spoke real
English and who knew their products inside out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I think your best bet with TracFone is to call their sales dept. The phones
they sell in your area will depend on the carrier they use there. A lot of
the replies here are fine in a generic way, but Tracfone likes to break the
rules. My Samsung phone has a usb connection and bluetooth but provides no
way to get a picture out of the phone and the same is true of my wife's LG
phone.

When I first used TracFone their customer service was worse than dismal but
they're top notch now, and their reps seem to have a lot of leeway (a sales
rep might stay on a call with you when you're transferred to tech support,
for instance). Since you have specific needs in a phone I suggest giving
them a call to learn if they have a model that will work for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/21/2012 12:52 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Isn't that just a standard USB cable?

It's standard on the PC end. Most phones seem to use a micro-USB
connector on the phone end.

Thanks for all your useful help!!!!!

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Praying is like a rocking chair-- it'll give you something to do, but
it won't get you anywhere. [Gypsy Rose Lee]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:

has anyone suggested that he can just email them to himself?

That costs money., Although I have no idea how much.

if it does, it may still end up being cheaper than buying the necessary
bluetooth dongle and far easier to understand
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 17:35:51 -0400, micky
wrote:

Well, some might say that standard means the big end to another
identical big end.

Othes would say it's one of 4 possible standard cables, all ending
with the big end.

You should get your phone before you get accessories, so you get ones
that fit. . Some phones come with some accessories. Most come with
AC chargers, and for my phone, the same cable from the charger to the
phone also will go from the computer to the phone. But they are not
all like that. I think eveyrone needs a car charger, which are no
more than 5 dollars iirc on the web, including Amazon.

I didn't mean what this says. Some car chargers will be lots more
than $5, , but for each phone, there will be chargers at $5 or less.

My cheap car charger on my first phone at one point, the phone
displayed a message "Invalid battery". Now how could the battery be
invalid when it's the one the phone came with, new, and I hadn't used
it much. I thought it was the cheap car charger. But later it gave
the same message with the AC charger that came with the phone.

And all the time, they both charged the battery fine.

Plus my new smart phone with the camera and the big screen, I
sometimes have to go into the shade to see what's on the screen. I
bought some screen protectors for 2 dollars on Amazon. Don't get the
perfectly clear iiuc. They are protection but won't help see things.
Glare-resistant, I think you need, but otoh mirror type I think would
keep me from seeing what's on the phone if I'm looking at an angle.

Thanks for all your useful help!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Sep 2012 04:18:56 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in
om:

wrote:
[...]

I'd never buy a Tracfone from eBay. It's complicated to get it activated.

I don't know, not experience except with AT&T, but was the complicated
experience starting from scratch? or when you had a sim card you could
take out of an old phone that was activated on Tracfone, and put it in
the new phone?

With my used ebay phone, if I wanted it activated from scratch, I'd
have to buy a plan that included data, but since I already had a basic
phone that couldn't even handle data, not even to download a ringtone,
putting its sim card in my new smart phone activated it, and without
any data. (except what I can get from wifi, which is free) So now
I'm still prepaid and I buy 100 dollars at a time, which expires in a
year if I don't buy more before the year is up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Look at the Tracfone site and phones that are available. You can
normally google up the phone model and manual and get the manual on
line. I think all but very basic phones have cameras. You could always
email yourself any pictures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:36:24 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 09/21/2012 12:52 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Isn't that just a standard USB cable?

It's standard on the PC end. Most phones seem to use a micro-USB
connector on the phone end.

More precisely, a "Micro-B" USB connector.

Thanks for all your useful help!!!!!

Another RCD puzzler Luke UK diy 58 November 10th 10 06:33 PM
Phone handset puzzler andy Electronics Repair 1 December 16th 07 02:45 AM
Christmas Light Puzzler - HELP Reactor Electronics Repair 21 December 12th 07 02:58 AM
Triva Question/Puzzler Ashton Crusher Home Repair 19 April 5th 05 03:10 AM
PUZZLER??? Jack the Lad UK diy 12 February 7th 04 04:59 PM