Ashton Crusher

Default Triva Question/Puzzler

Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?
Dr. Hardcrab

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?

Does this have anything to do with the rat urine thread?

Gina and Les Armstrong

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?

Using only one slice in two slice toaster disrupts the space-time continuum.
It effects the flux capacitor's ability to calibrate the muffler bearings
properly, resulting in non-uniform browning. To solve this conundrum, you
can move the toaster closer to the equator of the earth, thus improving the
flux capacitor's ability to maintain calibration. Or, you could just put
the slice of bread back in after turning it 180 degree and toast some more.
; ` }

Les (when I started school, I could not spell enjunear, but now I are one!)

kato

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?

I've heard that only happens in Area 51

Bob S.

Ashton Crusher wrote:
Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?

Hey, everyone's cracking jokes and I thought it is a good question!
I've got 2 toasters, one electronic and one mechanical, and they both
do the same thing to a single slice of bread, and I never figured out
why either.
Bob S.

Harry K

xrongor wrote:
reflected heat.

randy

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put

two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side

of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?

That would be my guess. I even have a 2 slot (wide slots) that has one
labeled "one slice only" and it still does it.

Harry K

Ashton Crusher

On 12 Mar 2005 20:36:07 -0800, "Bob S." wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?

Hey, everyone's cracking jokes and I thought it is a good question!
I've got 2 toasters, one electronic and one mechanical, and they both
do the same thing to a single slice of bread, and I never figured out
why either.
Bob S.

I think I figured out why, I'll post my solution in another day or
two. I was wondering why for at least a year and then one day it hit
me (the solution, not the toast popping up). I thought a home repair
group might generate some good ideas but it seems like that's not the
case so far.
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:54:15 -0700, "xrongor"
wrote:

reflected heat.

randy

Can you be a little more specific as to exactly what that means and
why it causes uneven toasting.

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .
Everyone's familiar with the standard two slot toaster. You put two
slices of toast in, push the handle down, all the heating elements
come on, and after a while the toast pops up and both slices are
evenly browned on both sides.

If you put only one slice in you go thru the same steps, push the
handle down, all the heating elements come on and after a while the
toast pops up. But in my toaster when it pops up there is a
considerable difference in the amount of toasting done on one side of
the slice compared to the other.

Why the difference when only one slice is toasted?

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote:

reflected heat.

randy

Can you be a little more specific as to exactly what that means and
why it causes uneven toasting.

I wasn't going to get into this thread, but what the hey...

Heat rises. When those coils heat up, that heat wants out of that toaster.
The heat goes out through the top of the toatser. When you have two slices
of bread inserted, the heat goes around the bread and out through the top of
the toaster. The "openings" (at the top of the toaster) are basically the
same size, thus allowing the heat to escape at the same rate. The result is
an even distribution on the bread (on both sides of each slice) thus they
get "cooked" evenly.

If you put one slice in the toaster, you have now left a larger hole for the
heat to escape: Heat that was not-so-slow-to-esape when there wre two slices
in the toaster. The single slice will not be toasted as dark as when there
are two slices. PLUS! The single slice will also have the side facing the
"open hole" come out a little lighter than the other side.

Does that make sense or am I just an open hole myself?

;-]

xrongor

reflected heat.

randy

Can you be a little more specific as to exactly what that means and
why it causes uneven toasting.

look im no toast expert, but it seems simple. you have a case of cause and
effect. the cause is using one piece of bread instead of two. the effect
is burnt toast.

i think the logical assumption is that bread absorbs energy given off by the
burners. when there isnt any bread there, but the burner is still on, that
energy goes elsewhere. in this case, over to the other piece of bread. if
the sensor were better located, this probably wouldnt happen.

either that or the magic bread faeries resent there not being bread in both
slots and use magic to burn the single slice on one side....

randy

Matt

Why in the world would anybody toast only one slice of bread? In my
entire toast making existence, I have NEVER made only one slice. A one
slice toast world seems a positively un-American concept to me, and I
intend to write a strongly worded letter to the makers of the internet,
and ask that you be investigated, with a cc to the Toast Council of
America.

Further:

How many one slice toasters do you see on the market?

In America, practically zero. In Russia, that's about all they sell.
Why? Because only commie pinko *******s make one slice of toast at a
time, or allow the government to mandate to the masses how much bread
can be converted to toast in one session.

In China, if you are caught making more than one slice of toast, your
toaster is executed ON THE SPOT and your toast making license is
revoked for life.

So beware the ramifications of the questions you ask Mr. Crusher; these
are perilous times and it is best not to risk what you have worked so
hard to gain by throwing such important questions into the internet
wind with carefree abandon.

The toastmakers are watching you; you have been warned.

To the OP: How many radiant elements are in your toaster? One for each
side of each slice or just two (unlikely) or three? If you have less
than four no wonder you're getting a different result with one slice.

If you take two (or really any number) of slices and toast them in a
domestic toaster, depending on the darkness control, you'll get a
different result than if you toast them in a commercial toaster. The
difference is the power of the radiants. The radiants effectively burn
the outside layer of the bread; in the limp-wristed powerless domestic
version they take so long to do so that the heat soaks through the
bread and drives out the moisture from the entire slice thus making a
crisper more brittle toast. In the commercial version the radiants
burn the outside quickly bringing it up to the desired color before
the moisture can be removed from the inside. Try it next time you eat
in a luncheonette or diner.

What is necessary is for someone to produce a high quality toaster
that actually does what is pretends to do. You need a scanner that
measures by pixel (or crumb) on each side of the bread, determining
the average pixel darkness and ejecting the slice when it reaches a
preset color. It would also have to test if any one or group of pixels
exceeded a "burnt" threshold to avoid being thrown off by irregular
bread surfaces. The moisture content should also be factored in (user
settable) by measuring the humidity level of the output air. Some
electronics nerd needs to get on the stick right now!

Dr. Hardcrab

"Ashton Crusher" wrote

You pretty much have it.

snip

You never commented on what I had posted (copied and pasted from Google):

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: "Dr. Hardcrab" - Find messages by
this author
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:41:23 GMT
Subject: Triva Question/Puzzler
original | Report Abuse

wrote:

[...]

Goedjn

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:04:07 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:45:39 -0700, "xrongor"
wrote:

reflected heat.

randy

Can you be a little more specific as to exactly what that means and
why it causes uneven toasting.

look im no toast expert, but it seems simple. you have a case of cause and
effect. the cause is using one piece of bread instead of two. the effect
is burnt toast.

i think the logical assumption is that bread absorbs energy given off by the
burners. when there isnt any bread there, but the burner is still on, that
energy goes elsewhere. in this case, over to the other piece of bread. if

toast the right side of the right slice. This could be solved by
making the center board a sandwich with an insulating layer in the
middle so the heat couldn't transfer thru. Perhaps some toasters
have that, mine apparently does not.

If you're going to bother to deal with the problem at
all, the sensible thing to do is have a separate lever
for each toaster slot, or at least a switch for the second
slot.

Most people, though, don't spend a lot of effort trying to
color-match the two sides of a slice of toast.

--Goedjn

Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:52:38 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

The real problem with home toasters is that on a 120V circuit the most
you can safely plan on drawing is 15 amps without risking constantly
popping the breakers. At that amperage you just can't get enough heat
generating capacity to really toast fast. Most of the commercial
electric toasters are 220v I think. Or gas.
Ashton Crusher

wrote:

reflected heat.

randy

Can you be a little more specific as to exactly what that means and
why it causes uneven toasting.

look im no toast expert, but it seems simple. you have a case of cause and
effect. the cause is using one piece of bread instead of two. the effect
is burnt toast.

i think the logical assumption is that bread absorbs energy given off by the
burners. when there isnt any bread there, but the burner is still on, that
energy goes elsewhere. in this case, over to the other piece of bread. if
the sensor were better located, this probably wouldnt happen.

You pretty much have it. Nothing to do with the sensor though. Most
of these toasters have three heater boards. A left board, center
board, and right board. If you only put one slice in the right side,
all the heat from the left board goes past the empty space where the
second slice would normally be and adds it's heat to the center board.
So the center board gets hotter then it normally would. That makes it
toast the left side of the right slice faster then the right board can
toast the right side of the right slice. This could be solved by
making the center board a sandwich with an insulating layer in the
middle so the heat couldn't transfer thru. Perhaps some toasters
have that, mine apparently does not.

either that or the magic bread faeries resent there not being bread in both
slots and use magic to burn the single slice on one side....

randy

Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:47:04 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote

You pretty much have it.

snip

You never commented on what I had posted (copied and pasted from Google):

If you mean the stuff below, I think it's an interesting take on it
but I don't think it's what's really happening. As the below stuff
say, your theory is the side of the toast toward the center would be
the less toasted side. But that's actually the more toasted side (I
just sacrificed a slice of bread to verify). So far, I'm still of the
opinion that the lack of the second slice causes the center board to
get hotter then "normal" causing the inside side of the bread to toast
more then the outside side, when there is only the one slice.

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: "Dr. Hardcrab" - Find messages by
this author
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:41:23 GMT
original | Report Abuse

wrote:

[...]

Ashton Crusher

wrote:

[...]

That would work if it kept the unused outside heater board from coming
on when there is no slice in that side. There are some one LONG slot
toasters which put the two pieces in longways and they should also
eliminate this problem. It's not the most pressing problem in the
world I'll agree.

Most people, though, don't spend a lot of effort trying to
color-match the two sides of a slice of toast.

--Goedjn

Matt Morgan

"oo Mike oo" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:11:51 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

I want a de-toaster that makes toast back into bread.