Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home remedy for hand swelling from bee/wasp sting

Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and
forefinger. Minor pain, nothing else. This am woke up with swelling
on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,.
redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the
swelling. Too early for dr office to be open. Any home remedys?
Posted to alt.home.repair

First, I'm not a doctor. I don't even have a first aid card, or CPR card.

That said, if it were me, I'd look for something with Benadryl
(diphenyhydramine) in it. Tylenol PM and Advil PM contain that medicine.
Supposed to be good for allergic reactions.

Ice packs for swelling.

I'm sorry to hear that you got stung. That's no fun. I got stung, many years
ago. Mine (back of my hand, much like yours) was also not fun.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and
forefinger. Minor pain, nothing else. This am woke up with swelling
on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,.
redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the
swelling. Too early for dr office to be open. Any home remedys?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 04:39:08 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and
forefinger. Minor pain, nothing else. This am woke up with swelling
on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,.
redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the
swelling. Too early for dr office to be open. Any home remedys?

Just to add to the others....
http://firstaid.webmd.com/allergy-in...ting-treatment
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/bee_a...article_em.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fir...bites/FA00046/

Basically what others said perhaps with a bit more detail. I'm no
doctor, etc... but I would also try to keep yourself hydrated with
lots of fluids.

Hope you heal well. Keep us posted if possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-08-01, Frank wrote:

While at our swim club, I was bitten by a yellow jacket on the finger
and it was swollen by the time we got home. I took benadryl but
swelling continued and the whole hand was swollen in the morning. I
called the doctor and by the time I saw him after lunch the swelling was
progressing down my wrist. It was like the sting was going to take over
my whole body.

I think that sorta thing comes and goes, but should not be ingnored.
I was stung many times by a nest of wasps when a small child, so am
rather aprehensive around the stripy lil' turds. Lotta pain, but no
swelling that I recall. My other stings have been varied over the
years. Once, stung on big toe, foot swelled to size of football (age
13)! Less swelling a few years later (16). No swelling at age 48.
No swelling, but extreme itching fer 2 wks at age 60. If you get
swelling, I would recommend medical care immediately. It could be an
allergic reaction, which can be fatal.

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 8:30*am, notbob wrote:
On 2012-08-01, Frank wrote:

[...]

Just got home (8:30am CST) from local hospital emergency room, they
gave me a prednisone pill and presecription for four more days after
today, and told me to take benedryl as dosed on the box, 2-25mg
tablets every 6 hours, beware of feeling sleepy. Prednisone seems to
have helped, I can see a couple of small wrinkles on the back of the
hand where before (6am CST) the whole back of the hand was swollen
tight.

Thanks for all the advice
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han nobody nospam.not wrote:

"hr(bob) hofmann att.net" wrote

Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb
and forefinger. Minor pain, nothing else. This am woke up
with swelling on back of hand to where the veins and arteies
are not visible,. redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl
fingers due to the swelling. Too early for dr office to be
open. Any home remedys?

I think you might want to see a doctor ASAP. If it is swollen
that much There may be more going on than a simple prick and
some wasp venom. If the stinger is still in there, it might
have started an infection that will need to be cleaned out.

Definitely go to a hospital.

From what I've read and seen, people who get bit by a brown
recluse spider and don't see a doctor can end up paying dearly
with their flesh. They don't feel the bite, but they have a sore
that is getting worse, and they don't have it diagnosed.

Generally speaking, a sore that is getting worse is a very bad
thing. Probably doesn't matter much whether it's an allergic
reaction, an infection, or a really nasty toxin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 6:35*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On 2012-08-01, Frank wrote:

[...]

Try heat on 'healthy' part of hand, and cold on central area where
badly affected. The premise is that the body's circulation improves
with heat, because the badly affected area is cold, the healthy part
of your body is not overwheeomed and can whisk away the damage very
quickly, nibble away at it as it were.

Works on infections, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 8:30 am, notbob wrote:
On 2012-08-01, Frank wrote:

[...]

In addition to what you've been told, one of the most important things
you can do for swelling in arms or legs is to elevate the area above the
level of your heart. You don't have to be reaching for the ceiling,
just rest your elbow on the arm of a chair or a table when you are
sitting and try to keep your elbow mostly flexed (bent) when you are
walking. If you go to bed, put the hand on a few pillows. The more you
elevate it, the faster the swelling will resolve. The more you leave
your hand in positions where it is lower than your heart, the longer the
swelling will remain. As far as Benadryl is concerned, some people have
a strong sedative effect from it. Avoid driving, using other dangerous
equipment, or getting involved in very important decision making until
you can judge your reaction. You should avoid alcohol while taking it
as that can make the sedative effect much stronger.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

On Aug 1, 8:30 am, notbob wrote:
On 2012-08-01, Frank wrote:

[...]

All very good advice! Do it!
Also remember that next time you go straight to the ER after having had a
bite from any similar insect.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 16:11:19 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

On 8/1/2012 7:39 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and
forefinger. Minor pain, nothing else. This am woke up with swelling
on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,.
redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the
swelling. Too early for dr office to be open. Any home remedys?

Immediately, ice application (wrapped in damp cloth) is good, along with
elevating the part that is swelling. If one is allergic, has chronic
health problems or immune compromise, then see doc. Ice 10 min. every
2-4 hours. After 24 hours, warm soaks should help. Face, hands and
feet tend to swell more. I got a mosquito bite on my eyelid once that
made my eye sell shut; looked like I had gone 10 rounds with Ali )
Benadryl has always helped reduce redness and itching for our family;
too severe, then cortisone from doc is the next step up. Anyone with
allergy to stings should carry an epi-pen for emergencies.

Norminn, recently I had a large bump on my eye lid which was growing
larger also making it close and I thought it was a bite too. I
finally went to eye doctor who said it was a stye and she popped it
from inside eye lid and squeezed it out. It took about a month to
fully disappear but I never had a stye like that before. It was large
and felt like a bite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" heybub NOSPAMgmail.com wrote:

hr(bob) hofmann att.net wrote:

Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb
and forefinger. Minor pain, nothing else. This am woke up
with swelling on back of hand to where the veins and arteies
are not visible,. redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl
fingers due to the swelling. Too early for dr office to be
open. Any home remedys?

Most Republicans would recommend a tax cut as a remedy for all
sorts of things, including bubble-baths, and, in your case, bee
bites.

No way! It's Bush's fault!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 1, 6:39*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and
forefinger. *Minor pain, nothing else. *This am woke up with swelling
on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,.
redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the
swelling. *Too early for dr office to be open. * Any home remedys?

You'll see a lot of home remedies suggested but none of them work for
me. For people who have a normal reaction to bee stings the best
thing I've found is Burt's Bees Res-Q. It was recommended to me by a
horticulturist who gets wasp stings frequently. I tried it and it
works pretty well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote in :

As far as Benadryl is
concerned, some people have a strong sedative effect from it. Avoid
driving, using other dangerous equipment, or getting involved in very
important decision making until you can judge your reaction. You
should avoid alcohol while taking it as that can make the sedative
effect much stronger.

Heh,Benadryl makes a great OTC sleeping pill.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 6:39*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and
forefinger. *Minor pain, nothing else. *This am woke up with swelling
on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,.
redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the
swelling. *Too early for dr office to be open. * Any home remedys?

! prednisone tablet and 2 x (2 benadryls) and the swelling is gone
doqn, my sedding ring can slide along the finger, and the redness is
gone, so I guess I will live.

Thanx to all who gave good answers, boo hoo to those who politicized
it, on both sides. We have 90 or so more days to the elections, there
will be enuf hot air and rhetoric spouted on both sides to satisfy any
political junkie, lets keep this site for real home repair related
things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 08:51:28 -0400, Art Todesco wrote:

On 8/1/2012 7:39 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and
forefinger. Minor pain, nothing else. This am woke up with swelling
on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,.
redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the
swelling. Too early for dr office to be open. Any home remedys?

Hey Bob, my wife got stung twice by some ground bees. These things were
real nasty. The 1st one stung through her jeans and it wasn't really
all that bad. But the 2nd one sounded similar you yours. It was on the
middle of her forearm and by the next day it was swollen and red from he
wrist to her elbow. It actually went down in a day or 2, luckily. The
nest was out in front of the house near the road where there is a
channel to direct water to a culvert. There was a slight over growth of
wild grass and the nest was under this overhang. Good thing here is
that some animal cleaned it out for us. I understand that skunk and
other similar animals like the tasty treats and will tolerate the
stings. I hope all is ok now.

They're probably hornets. Nasty *******s. They're aggressive and many are
allergic to their venom. It doesn't sound like your wife is (allergic to
them) or the reaction could be much worse. People carry epi pens because a
single sting can be life-threatening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) hofmann att.net wrote:

Thanx to all who gave good answers, boo hoo to those who
politicized it, on both sides. We have 90 or so more days to
the elections, there will be enuf hot air and rhetoric spouted
on both sides to satisfy any political junkie, lets keep this
site for real home repair related things.

Uh, why?

I was wondering the same thing, considering the fact that only one
person started it...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the exact problem! Taking Benedryl and antibiotic and ice, it's been 35 hours and my whole finger remains swollen and itchy. What advice have you gotten.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mikesang on googlegroups wrote:

I have the exact problem! Taking Benedryl and antibiotic and ice, it's
been 35 hours and my whole finger remains swollen and itchy. What advice
have you gotten.

Actually, Hofmann's hand continued to swell up and COMPLETELY FELL OFF
*four years ago* right after he posted that question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Aug 2016, Sam Hill wrote in alt.home.repair:

mikesang on googlegroups wrote:

I have the exact problem! Taking Benedryl and antibiotic and ice,
it's been 35 hours and my whole finger remains swollen and itchy.
What advice have you gotten.

Actually, Hofmann's hand continued to swell up and COMPLETELY FELL
OFF *four years ago* right after he posted that question.

Thanks for explaining that. The previous poster's out-of-the-blue
message had me stumped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:39:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have the exact problem! Taking Benedryl and antibiotic and ice, it's been 35 hours and my whole finger remains swollen and itchy. What advice have you gotten.

Hit your finger with a hammer. It won't itch so much.

Wasp nests: keep a look out for: Wasp Nest Beetle... Spamlet UK diy 0 August 7th 10 06:29 PM
Wasp sting Phisherman[_2_] Woodworking 6 September 14th 09 07:43 PM
MDF prime & possible swelling VisionSet UK diy 4 November 30th 06 10:12 PM
Home termite remedy? m Ransley Home Repair 7 April 13th 05 03:51 AM
Plywood Edging - Ply Swelling Allen Woodworking 4 April 22nd 04 02:03 AM