Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Home remedy for hand swelling from bee/wasp sting

On 2012-08-01, Frank wrote:

While at our swim club, I was bitten by a yellow jacket on the
finger and it was swollen by the time we got home. I took benadryl
but swelling continued and the whole hand was swollen in the
morning. I called the doctor and by the time I saw him after lunch
the swelling was progressing down my wrist. It was like the sting
was going to take over my whole body.

I think that sorta thing comes and goes, but should not be ingnored.
I was stung many times by a nest of wasps when a small child, so am
rather aprehensive around the stripy lil' turds. Lotta pain, but no
swelling that I recall. My other stings have been varied over the
years. Once, stung on big toe, foot swelled to size of football
(age 13)! Less swelling a few years later (16). No swelling at age
48. No swelling, but extreme itching fer 2 wks at age 60. If you
get swelling, I would recommend medical care immediately. It could
be an allergic reaction, which can be fatal.

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"

Just got home (8:30am CST) from local hospital emergency room, they
gave me a prednisone pill and presecription for four more days after
today, and told me to take benedryl as dosed on the box, 2-25mg
tablets every 6 hours, beware of feeling sleepy. Prednisone seems to
have helped, I can see a couple of small wrinkles on the back of the
hand where before (6am CST) the whole back of the hand was swollen
tight.

Thanks for all the advice

In addition to what you've been told, one of the most important things
you can do for swelling in arms or legs is to elevate the area above
the level of your heart. You don't have to be reaching for the
ceiling, just rest your elbow on the arm of a chair or a table when
you are sitting and try to keep your elbow mostly flexed (bent) when
you are walking. If you go to bed, put the hand on a few pillows.
The more you elevate it, the faster the swelling will resolve. The
more you leave your hand in positions where it is lower than your
heart, the longer the swelling will remain. As far as Benadryl is
concerned, some people have a strong sedative effect from it. Avoid
driving, using other dangerous equipment, or getting involved in very
important decision making until you can judge your reaction. You
should avoid alcohol while taking it as that can make the sedative
effect much stronger.

All very good advice! Do it!
Also remember that next time you go straight to the ER after having had a
bite from any similar insect.

--
Best regards
Han