Allen

Default Plywood Edging - Ply Swelling

These guys (www.collinstool.com/collins_ply_prep.htm) sell a router
bit to put a concave edge on plywood in preparation for edging. They
claim that some of the inner plys swell when glued and cause a small
open seam between the edging and the face plys. Seems to make sense,
but what is the opinion of the group?

Thanks, all.

Allen
Bay Area Dave

sounds like a solution looking for a problem. While I'm
typing this I'm looking at the oak ply topped desk I built
with edging glued and biscuitted. There isn't ANY gap
between the field and the edging. that's my 2 pennnies worth...

dave

Allen wrote:

These guys (www.collinstool.com/collins_ply_prep.htm) sell a router
bit to put a concave edge on plywood in preparation for edging. They
claim that some of the inner plys swell when glued and cause a small
open seam between the edging and the face plys. Seems to make sense,
but what is the opinion of the group?

Thanks, all.

Allen

Bernard Randall

"Allen" wrote in message
m...
These guys (www.collinstool.com/collins_ply_prep.htm) sell a router
bit to put a concave edge on plywood in preparation for edging. They
claim that some of the inner plys swell when glued and cause a small
open seam between the edging and the face plys. Seems to make sense,
but what is the opinion of the group?

Thanks, all.

Allen

In principle these guys are correct, both solid wood and ply will swell with
the application of glue, or most liquids. It is one of the reasons that
joints should not be machined before they are fully dry, otherwise there
will be a small depression which can be seen if a high gloss coat is later
applied.

In practice, unless you are running a large operation where you machine all
parts to high tolerance before gluing, you will need to do a clean up after
the parts are dried and you probably won't notice the difference.

Bernard R

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Allen wrote:
These guys (www.collinstool.com/collins_ply_prep.htm) sell a router
bit to put a concave edge on plywood in preparation for edging. They
claim that some of the inner plys swell when glued and cause a small
open seam between the edging and the face plys. Seems to make sense,
but what is the opinion of the group?

Thanks, all.

Allen

I've used solid edge banding on ply many times with the edge just as
it was cut by the table saw and had no problems. I sure wouldn't want
to take the time to run a router around every piece that was being
edgebanded for a problem I don't have.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Wally Goffeney

When that bit first came out a few years ago, it was favorably
reviewed in Wood Magazine. I bought one and have used it
successfully. Having said that, I have never done a side by side
comparison to determine if this might be a solution for a non-existant
problem.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wgoffeney/index.htm