Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Source for Small VHS Tapes

I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3. Aside from having
a weak battery, it appears to work fine when plugged in directly to the
power unit. But it needs these small VHS tapes, which I think are
called VHS-C (according to a website). It seems that no local stores
sell these tapes anymore. Anyone know where to buy them? (Dont suggest
ebay, I do my best to avoid ebay after getting far too many defective
items and getting kicked in the ass with outrageous shipping prices).

This camcorder was made in 1998, so it's not that old. The plan is to
record to tape, then transfer the video to my computer for digital
saving. That way I really only need one or two tapes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reed" wrote in message
On 5/10/12 3:12 PM, wrote:
I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3. Aside from having
a weak battery, it appears to work fine when plugged in directly to the
power unit. But it needs these small VHS tapes, which I think are
called VHS-C (according to a website). It seems that no local stores
sell these tapes anymore. Anyone know where to buy them? (Dont suggest
ebay, I do my best to avoid ebay after getting far too many defective
items and getting kicked in the ass with outrageous shipping prices).

This camcorder was made in 1998, so it's not that old. The plan is to
record to tape, then transfer the video to my computer for digital
saving. That way I really only need one or two tapes.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=4286500

Another of over 100 reasons NOT to by at "Rat Shack".. Their store, VHS-C
tapes are over twice the price of others !! Needed several 2032 button
batteries recently. They were on my way home . So stopped in. Over $6.00 for
a single battery! Went to Big Box store; two pack of name brand batteries
$2.49 Used to be the place for electronic parts, Ham gear, etc. They
have gone to Hell in the proverbial Hand Basket .

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Source for Small VHS Tapes (not rat shack)

RS lost my business, after I bought a cell phone there. And they never sent
the $40 rebate.

I did go back one time, the kid half my age spent the entire contat trying
to sell me on his brand of cell phone service.

Hope they spend my money nice and slow, it's got to last them.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bill Hall" wrote in message

Another of over 100 reasons NOT to by at "Rat Shack".. Their store, VHS-C
tapes are over twice the price of others !! Needed several 2032 button
batteries recently. They were on my way home . So stopped in. Over $6.00 for
a single battery! Went to Big Box store; two pack of name brand batteries
$2.49 Used to be the place for electronic parts, Ham gear, etc. They
have gone to Hell in the proverbial Hand Basket .

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:29:19 -0500, "Bill Hall"
wrote:

"Reed" wrote in message
On 5/10/12 3:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

You got that right. $5 more than the other link. Granted I would not
have to pay shipping, but that is just a ripoff.

Yea, RS was originally a place for hams and electronic hobbiests, but
their parts have been reduced to a few small racks. Cellphones seem to
be their big push lately, but that market will soon be flooded with
sellers, if it's not already. About the only time I go to RS these
days, is if I need a small part and need it now. Like a diode or
something. In that case, I dont have to pay $5 to ship a 35 cent diode.
Even if I have to pay $2 at RS to get it, I'm still ahead. I remember
in the 90s when they sold computers that were twice the price of other
stores and they they had their own OS, or was it an addon front end for
Windows 3.x. Either way, they were not compatible with other computers.
I bet their cellphones are designed to only get service from them, and
at a hefty price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 3:12*pm, wrote:
I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3.

That's too bad.

Aside from having
a weak battery, it appears to work fine when plugged in directly to the
power unit.

Means something, not much. If it isn't ragged out the lube is
probably sticky or gone and/or.. it could have lots of problems, or
looming problems. The battery is shot, for sure.

*But it needs VHS-C tapes. no local stores
sell these tapes anymore. *Anyone know where to buy them?

My Google suggests Sears, Staples, Office Depot.

This camcorder was made in 1998, so it's not that old.

It's ancient.

The plan is to
record to tape, then transfer the video to my computer for digital
saving. *That way I really only need one or two tapes.

I think you're going to be very disappointed in the video quality, if
you get any.

Any new digital video camera is better than that one. Many if not
most phones shoot better video.

Anything worth shooting is worth a better camera.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 10, 8:45*pm, gpsman wrote:
On May 10, 3:12*pm, wrote:

I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3.

That's too bad.

There always has to be at least one smartass.

My Google suggests Sears, Staples, Office Depot.

Your Google is overpriced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 9:36*pm, Ron wrote:
On May 10, 8:45*pm, gpsman wrote:

On May 10, 3:12*pm, wrote:

I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3.

That's too bad.

There always has to be at least one smartass.

How too bad do you think it could be for $3?

My Google suggests Sears, Staples, Office Depot.

Your Google is overpriced.

Compared to what?

Do you have anything of value to contribute to the thread?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 10, 11:02*pm, gpsman wrote:
On May 10, 9:36*pm, Ron wrote:

On May 10, 8:45*pm, gpsman wrote:

On May 10, 3:12*pm, wrote:

I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3.

That's too bad.

There always has to be at least one smartass.

How too bad do you think it could be for $3?

I have a Pansonic that old that works just fine.

Plus, the OP didn't ask for an opinion on the camera, just where you
could find the blank tapes.

My Google suggests Sears, Staples, Office Depot.

Your Google is overpriced.

Compared to what?

Amazon....which has already been mentioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 May 2012 20:19:25 -0700, SMS
wrote:

On 5/10/2012 12:12 PM, wrote:
I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3. Aside from having
a weak battery, it appears to work fine when plugged in directly to the
power unit. But it needs these small VHS tapes, which I think are
called VHS-C (according to a website). It seems that no local stores
sell these tapes anymore. Anyone know where to buy them? (Dont suggest
ebay, I do my best to avoid ebay after getting far too many defective
items and getting kicked in the ass with outrageous shipping prices).

This camcorder was made in 1998, so it's not that old. The plan is to
record to tape, then transfer the video to my computer for digital
saving. That way I really only need one or two tapes.

Pretty bad idea. You could probably pick up an old Mini-DV camcorder for
the same price, or free on Freecycle, and it uses IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
to transfer directly to the computer. Far better video quality, and none
of the problems with converting analog to digital.

Of course even something like a Kodak Playsport is only $70,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FLL5BI.

Eventually I'll probably find a free or cheap digital camcorder, but
this one will work for now.
(What the heck is IEEE 1394 (Firewire) )?
I've heard of firewire, but dont you need a special computer for that?
I only have USB ports.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2012 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

*To download analog video onto your hard drive you will need an internal
video capture card in your computer or a USB external video capture device.
A firewire port enables digital video to be downloaded directly into the
computer. You will also need a large hard drive to store the video files as
they can be quite big, but you can purchase an external hard drive for that.

I seem to recall seeing a HD digital camcorder at Costco in the $200.00 -
$300.00 price range.

VHS is the lowest quality video format.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2012 6:44 AM, John Grabowski wrote:

On 5/10/2012 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

Actually, I picked up a JVC Picsio camera new for about $70!. I does
stills and HD videos. It plugs directly into the USB (2.0) port on the
computer. Here' 2 short examples that I shot using it:
https://vimeo.com/31660779 and https://vimeo.com/34620648. It amazes me
what it can do. And it can slip into you shirt pocket easily. Yes,
it's not a true camcorder with an optical zoom lens, but it was only $70
and soooooo convenient. But be aware that if you computer doesn't have
enough horsepower, the video will probably stutter. That happens with
my older XP laptop, but not with a newer dual core Windows 7 machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 9:36*pm, Ron wrote:
On May 10, 8:45*pm, gpsman wrote:
On May 10, 3:12*pm, wrote:

I bought an older camcorder at a garage sale, for $3.

That's too bad.

There always has to be at least one smartass.

How too bad do you think it could be for $3?

I have a Pansonic that old that works just fine.

Compared to what?

A professional-grade dockable S-VHS camera is essentially worthless,
unless you're getting footage of a UFO or Bigfoot, or it will dock
with digital Betacam recorder.

Plus, the OP didn't ask for an opinion on the camera, just where you
could find the blank tapes.

Is it safe to assume you are a professional detector of irony...?

My Google suggests Sears, Staples, Office Depot.

Your Google is overpriced.

Compared to what?

*Amazon....which has already been mentioned.

The OP implied they were looking for a "local" source, which seems
reasonable considering their have no idea if the camera actually
"works".

Why do you guys who don't read well and don't know dick about the
subject have so many opinions you can't keep to yourself...?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/11/2012 3:44 AM, John Grabowski wrote:

I seem to recall seeing a HD digital camcorder at Costco in the $200.00
- $300.00 price range.

Amazon has one for $69.99. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FLL5BI Not
high end, but certainly better than VHS-C. By the time he buys tapes and
buys a video capture card, he'll spend nearly as much, plus time and
hassles does have some value. The USB to video-capture devices are flaky
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/easycap-usb-video-capture-adapter-5707. I
bought one of these because I wanted to use just the audio portion to
convert some audio cassettes to CDs for my relative, and I could never
get it to work.

There are tons of unused Mini-DV tape camcorders out there that are
likely available for free or at about the same price as the VHS-C unit.
A Firewire card is cheap
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/firewire-1394-pci-card-with-software-cd-cable-52621?item=2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2012 10:19 PM, SMS wrote:
On 5/10/2012 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

he didn't say anything about converting to digital. Maybe he doesn't
have a need to have the videos in digital form. The vhs-c works just
fine for replay.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

"Reed" wrote in message
On 5/10/12 3:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

But then you get to watch the blank look on the counter guy's face
when you ask him where the diodes are.

Seriously, I have been asked, by a RS employee, with a perfectly
straight face "what's a diode?" (only reason I went there was because
it was a block away from a job site and the store that I knew would
have them was a half hour drive.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 11, 9:08*am, gpsman wrote:
On May 11, 12:31*am, Ron wrote:

I have a Pansonic that old that works just fine.

Compared to what?

Compared to what it is - a VHS-C camcorder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 May 2012 12:32:34 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 5/10/2012 10:19 PM, SMS wrote:
On 5/10/2012 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

I thought I could just dump the tape on my computer and burn a DVD.
Since this is getting to look like a costly venture, I'll just keep them
on the VHS-C tape or transfer the videos to a full size VHS tape. I
only bought this thing cuz it was cheap. I dont really need videos that
bad. My digital camera will take one minute videos. They work fine,
but I wish they were at least 5 minutes. One min is not long enough.

Thanks for all the help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/2012 10:19 PM, SMS wrote:
On 5/10/2012 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

He DID say he was going to put them on the computer - and the ONLY
way to do that is to convert them to digital, since a computer is NOT
an analog device.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 11, 8:48*pm, wrote:

I thought I could just dump the tape on my computer and burn a DVD.
Since this is getting to look like a costly venture, I'll just keep them
on the VHS-C tape or transfer the videos to a full size VHS tape. *I
only bought this thing cuz it was cheap. *I dont really need videos that
bad. *My digital camera will take one minute videos. *They work fine,
but I wish they were at least 5 minutes. *One min is not long enough.

Thanks for all the help!

All you need is a VHS-C cassette adapter and then you can just stuck
it right into your VCR. Google it and then click on "Google Shopping"

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 11, 10:11*pm, SMS wrote:
On 5/11/2012 5:48 PM, wrote:

I thought I could just dump the tape on my computer and burn a DVD.
Since this is getting to look like a costly venture, I'll just keep them
on the VHS-C tape or transfer the videos to a full size VHS tape. *I
only bought this thing cuz it was cheap. *I dont really need videos that
bad. *My digital camera will take one minute videos. *They work fine,
but I wish they were at least 5 minutes. *One min is not long enough.

If I were you I'd hit a few more garage sales and find someone dumping
their Mini-DV camcorder because they moved to an SD card based device.
Don't waste money on the VHS-C tapes.

At least with the Mini-DV camcorders it's pretty simple to upload to
your computer and burn a DVD, since it's all digital.

That's not a bad idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/2012 10:19 PM, SMS wrote:
On 5/10/2012 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

There were many transfer units on the market some time ago, just over $100
..
no need for a computer. You could probably find a used one.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 11, 10:56*pm, gregz wrote:
wrote:

I thought I could just dump the tape on my computer and burn a DVD.
Since this is getting to look like a costly venture, I'll just keep them
on the VHS-C tape or transfer the videos to a full size VHS tape. *I
only bought this thing cuz it was cheap. *I dont really need videos that
bad. *My digital camera will take one minute videos. *They work fine,
but I wish they were at least 5 minutes. *One min is not long enough.

Thanks for all the help!

There were many transfer units on the market some time ago, just over $100
.
no need for a computer. You could probably find a used one.

By "transfer unit" I assume you mean one of these?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fsedQhu...eo-VR4940.html