Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for small copper hex rod

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for copper hexagonal rod,
sizes under 1/4". While I'm asking for unobtanium, I need it in
oxygen free, preferably electronic grade. Can't find any with my
usual sources and googling it doesn't get me very far.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl M wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for copper hexagonal rod,
sizes under 1/4". While I'm asking for unobtanium, I need it in
oxygen free, preferably electronic grade. Can't find any with my
usual sources and googling it doesn't get me very far.

Check with BMG Metals - http://www.bmgmetals.com/ - and see if they have it. If not they
can probably point you in the right direction.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 18, 3:49 pm, Carl M wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for copper hexagonal rod,
sizes under 1/4". While I'm asking for unobtanium, I need it in
oxygen free, preferably electronic grade. Can't find any with my
usual sources and googling it doesn't get me very far.

Says brass, but also says its 99.9% copper:
http://continentalsteel.thomasnet.co...rod?&forward=1

From germany:
http://www.bikar.com/copper/copper-hexagon-bars.html

Google says this is there, but it doesn't come up:
Farmer's Copper, Brass Products, Shape : Rod / Bar
Search for, Phone: 800.231.9450, ...
For Stock sizes (Hexagonal), click here. Alloy 360 - Free cutting
brass ...
www.farmerscopper.com/brassnew_1.cfm

China:
http://www.madeinchina.com/trade_pro...pper+Bar.shtml

Maybe you can find a copper nut manufacturer willing to part with some
base stock.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Sep 18, 3:49 pm, Carl M wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for copper hexagonal rod,
sizes under 1/4". While I'm asking for unobtanium, I need it in
oxygen free, preferably electronic grade. Can't find any with my
usual sources and googling it doesn't get me very far.

Says brass, but also says its 99.9% copper:
http://continentalsteel.thomasnet.co...rod?&forward=1

From germany:
http://www.bikar.com/copper/copper-hexagon-bars.html

Google says this is there, but it doesn't come up:
Farmer's Copper, Brass Products, Shape : Rod / Bar
Search for, Phone: 800.231.9450, ...
For Stock sizes (Hexagonal), click here. Alloy 360 - Free cutting
brass ...
www.farmerscopper.com/brassnew_1.cfm

China:
http://www.madeinchina.com/trade_pro...pper+Bar.shtml

Maybe you can find a copper nut manufacturer willing to part with some
base stock.

Dave

He's wanting some under 1/4". Seems these sources start at about 1/4" and go up - at
least the first two. At least one mentioned "machinable" and "hard drawn" which is
probably what he is looking for. Some electrical wire, especially bare copper, is hard
drawn. Perhaps he needs to check with a wire manufacturer. If he needs enough of it they
could produce it for him. It might be as simple as extruding it through a hex opening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

_ wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:49:54 -0700 (PDT), Carl M wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for copper hexagonal rod,
sizes under 1/4". While I'm asking for unobtanium, I need it in
oxygen free, preferably electronic grade. Can't find any with my
usual sources and googling it doesn't get me very far.

Drawplate.

http://www.ganoksin.com/ftp/Making-wire-and-tube.pdf

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 18, 12:53*pm, Al Patrick wrote:
Carl M wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for copper hexagonal rod,
sizes under 1/4". *While I'm asking for unobtanium, I need it in
oxygen free, preferably electronic grade. *Can't find any with my
usual sources and googling it doesn't get me very far.

Check with BMG Metals -http://www.bmgmetals.com/*- and see if they have it. *If not they
can probably point you in the right direction.

I called, thinking: what did I have to lose? They pointed me to
someone else, who said that in any copper alloy nobody made anything
below 1/4" unless I wanted to have a run made, with a 2000 pound
minimum order. This is a possibility to solve a research problem that
I might propose, but wanted to make sure it was a possibility first.
Move on to another idea, I suppose. I only need a little bit to try
the idea.

Thanks to all of you for your time; it's much appreciated.