Posted to alt.home.repair

Default termites

Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from
the house. Not interested in hiring an exterminator. Next door
neighbor had them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated
infestation and set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and killed
the nest. With all the wood around our houses they are back and I want
to keep them away from my house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 9:49*am, Frank wrote:
Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from
the house. *Not interested in hiring an exterminator. *Next door
neighbor had them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated
infestation and set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and killed
the nest. *With all the wood around our houses they are back and I want
to keep them away from my house.

Basicly you want to keep wood away from the house,
ie no rotting stumps, logs, discarded 2x4's laying
around near the house.
And keep the house wood dry and out of contact with
the soil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 6:56*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:49*am, Frank wrote:

Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from
the house. *Not interested in hiring an exterminator. *Next door
neighbor had them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated
infestation and set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and killed
the nest. *With all the wood around our houses they are back and I want
to keep them away from my house.

Basicly you want to keep wood away from the house,
ie no rotting stumps, logs, discarded 2x4's laying
around near the house.
And keep the house wood dry and out of contact with
the soil.

New product from Raid, called "Bug Barrier". fairly cheap at Walmart,
Safewy etc.

I live in AZ, where BIG centipedes and scorpions like to come in
through any opening they can find - doorways, window slides, etc. Plus
also coming in are every other forms of things that crawl, walk, or
fly. After applying Bug Barrier at wall-floor junctions around
interior wall of home and double applying at every opeining, started
finding little carcases near the barrier. curled up spiders, dried up
centipedes, etc. The scorpions were more robust, they just appeared
sluggish, but easy to spray and scoop up for trash. Second
application, not finding anything anymore. Conclusion stuff WORKS!

For you, apply around your home's foundation wood junction. where the
termites would crawl to gain access. If rains can wash off, keep
applying up and around all those areas. You could try sample on the
nest to make certain Bug Barrier kills termites, but bet it does.

But still, YOU'VE GOT TO KILL ANY NEARBY NESTS!!! These things are
like ants, and will spread right into your building. So go after their
food supply and kill any nest. We used to live in California in a
house built of red wood. even Redwood is a deterrent, not a termite
proof wood! When the critters couldn't find any delicious fir or
pine, they went, albeit reluctantly, after the redwood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 10:46*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:56*am, "
wrote:

On Apr 9, 9:49*am, Frank wrote:

[...]

My thinking is to get one of those bug barrier type products but one
that lists termites among the insects treated. I put down stuff for
ants now but it says nothing about termites. Hard to say what is
approved in US as EPA keeps banning effective materials or keeps them
out of the homeowners reach and only lets professionals use them.
Ticks me off, as a retired chemist I can handle practically any
hazardous material.

Impossible for me to remove all wood around the house as there are
stumps that even if ground would still have considerable wood under
ground and our properties are very hilly and half my neighbors don't
even tend to the back halves of their properties and just let them go
wild.

I did survive the termites that hit the neighbor but at the time had
access to diazinone which I always sprayed the foundation with to keep
out ants and termites and never got invaded by ants until I could no
longer get diazinone. The Spectracide ant barrier appears to be
working since I apply it early in the spring before there are signs of
ants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 8:49 AM, Frank wrote:
Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from
the house. Not interested in hiring an exterminator. Next door
neighbor had them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated
infestation and set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and
killed the nest. With all the wood around our houses they are back
and I want to keep them away from my house.

*If* you ever plan to sell the house, I'd get a good termite
extermination service and retain all documentation. Termites scare
buyers and, with my experience, the documentation is well worth the
price to help ease any fears. YMMV

BTW: I'd get the service anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
I did survive the termites that hit the neighbor but at the time had
access to diazinone which I always sprayed the foundation with to keep
out ants and termites and never got invaded by ants until I could no
longer get diazinone. The Spectracide ant barrier appears to be
working since I apply it early in the spring before there are signs of
ants.

Just can not get the good stuff any more. Not sure of the spelling, but the
good old Chlordane took care of about everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from the
house. Not interested in hiring an exterminator. Next door neighbor had
them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated infestation and
set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and killed the nest. With
all the wood around our houses they are back and I want to keep them away from my house.

7 years ago I moved in. House perimeter was treated as a precaution. The
separate garage had termite damage. There were a batch of winged things
inside garage. Flying and crawling bug killer cleared up things, and have
not noticed anything since. I do a yearly perimeter spray. There were some
in a stump, but those disappeared.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
I did survive the termites that hit the neighbor but at the time had
access to diazinone which I always sprayed the foundation with to keep
out ants and termites and never got invaded by ants until I could no
longer get diazinone. The Spectracide ant barrier appears to be
working since I apply it early in the spring before there are signs of
ants.

Just can not get the good stuff any more. Not sure of the spelling, but the
good old Chlordane took care of about everything.

I got some. I didn't even want to use it. Didn't need to.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 9:49 AM, Frank wrote:
Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from
the house. Not interested in hiring an exterminator. Next door neighbor
had them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated infestation
and set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and killed the nest.
With all the wood around our houses they are back and I want to keep
them away from my house.

It should not be necessary to treat anything, based on finding termites
25' from the house...there are termites anywhere there is wood. If
homes are infested commonly in the area, as in the warmer states, then
perhaps more reason for concern. You can get free inspections, although
homeowners should know what to look for as well. Look up the
county/state extension service for your area...lots of them have very
good info about termites. Your efforts should be based on what is
prevalent in your area, including the species/types of termites -
treatment is not a "one fits all" matter. In the meantime, the basics
for prevention include: keep shrubs and tree limbs from contacting the
house, keep wood members of house at least 6" above grade, keep wood
painted and in good repair, caulk openings around doors, windows,
plumbing and electrical entries. Carpenter ants sometimes use (prey on,
too?) termite burrows. You can't kill termites by spraying the surface
of wood...they burrow in deeply. Should always look for fine openings
that might suggest termies; mud tubes from soil to wood (incl. inside
crawl spaces) are sign of subterranean termies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 9, 9:49*am, Frank wrote:

[...]

When we lived in CA, we used to have a very prolific orange tree. Each
year, we'd harvest and enjoy fresh squeezed orange juice. I found out
that if you take the rind of the orange, hold it up to a lit match,
and squeeze; you can shoot a flame about 18 inches!. That rind liquid
was even better paint thinner remover than paint thinner! Found out
that the spray is a major insecticide [even killed spiders after about
two hours] with song longevity, lasting a whole year. Our kitchen
NEVER had any ant problems. until...the invasion of the Mediterranean
Fruit Fly. One morning I looked out to see govt employees stripping
the tree, placing the fruit into garbage sacks for removal. That
year, sadly no oranges, no fruit juice.

Worse, within a short time we had the biggest infestation of ants I've
ever seen! They were everywhere!. They even would crawl up the fridge
into the cold sections, and [since none came out] almost filled up the
freezer section! ...old fridge, bad seals? Anyway, had to resort to
chemicals that year, used sugar laced with boric acid. That took them
all out - slowly. My wife likes to take them out NOW! but nothing
does that well except Raid House n Garden which has residual action
but that's toxic, not to be used in a kitchen.

I think that rind is used in orange cleaners too. That chemical is
something else!

NOTE Bug Barrier specifically states to not use around food.
Seriously, cover the coutner tops before using. But as I said,
works ...and doesn't smell too bad. Smells like warm water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 1:28 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:26 am, wrote:
On Apr 9, 10:46 am, Robert wrote:

On Apr 9, 6:56 am,
wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:49 am, wrote:
[...]

From my experience ants are looking for moisture.

As I'm sure you know, treating termites doesn't treat ants and vise
verse. We had a bad "carpenter" ? ant problem due a leak in the
facade in our house. No amount of chemicals would fix that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from
the house. Not interested in hiring an exterminator. Next door
neighbor had them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated
infestation and set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and
killed the nest. With all the wood around our houses they are back
and I want to keep them away from my house.

They are already there.

If you see evidence 25' from your home, their nest could be anywhere withing
a 200' (or more) radius and up to 25 feet below the surface. They have
investigated and infested everything within the two hundred feet.

Current practice is not "to keep them away" (barrier protection), but to
destroy the nest with any number of appropriate chemicals. One such chemical
is Termidor.

Termidor is available on Ebay and is extremely lethal to the workers, queen,
and the entire nest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 2:20 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 4/9/2012 9:49 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I have been doing the basic things. I know what to look for in a
termite invasion and try to always be on the look out. Several years
ago I had flying ants in the garage that came back a couple of times and
finally succumbed to my spraying. They were easy to identify by their
segmented bodies compared to termites.

I just put some of this stuff down but it does not appear to be a
barrier type material and will only hit any termites foraging towards
the house:

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects...iller-granules

The Spectracide I put down for ants over a month ago is said to be good
for 6 months which is something I was looking for in the termite
concern. In the future I will still look for products that offer
barrier to ants, termites and other critters as diazinone was.

Spectricide has a termite detector spike that will tell you if termites
are near the house but I declined to buy these.

I had seen termites near the house in the same area before they hit my
neighbor. He had a wood pile sitting on the ground next to his house
and did not detect the termites until they swarmed in his house.

Around here, when you sell a house, you must supply a certified termite
inspection report - same with radon. You can sell a house with these
problems but you can bet it will cost you in the price of the house.

Scrounging in the garage I did find an old bottle with a couple of
ounces of Lindane and diluted it and dumped it on the stump. It is
killing the termites. I assume this is something banned by the EPA when
they banned the long acting materials like chlordane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 3:15 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

I was under the impression Thermidor is a barrier chemical only with
professionals. My neighbor had the invasion treated with something but
then they put down bait stations to draw in termites and then put in
wood with a juvenile hormone which wiped out the nest. Been years since
I've seen any sign of termites but now they are back in the same place
between our houses. He's got all kinds of dead wood on his property as
do his adjacent neighbors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 9, 9:49*am, Frank wrote:

[...]

When my parents had a house on the east end of long island, we had
termites in a tree stump. I don't remember how far from the house
but I'm guessing 20 feet or so. We had a lot of trees around the
house then and my dad was wondering what to do. Someone told him to
do nothing to get rid of those termites in the stump because as long
as they had food, they wouldn't go to the house. It must have been
good advice because they never came to the house for the 16 or so
years they lived there. One thing tho, he used to spray Chlordane
all around the house as a precaution then and now it is outlawed due
to pollution. It appeared to work great. It killed anything around
the house tho I can't say it did termites because we never got them
but it was supposed to. Sure wish I had some still.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:06:47 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
I did survive the termites that hit the neighbor but at the time had
access to diazinone which I always sprayed the foundation with to keep
out ants and termites and never got invaded by ants until I could no
longer get diazinone. The Spectracide ant barrier appears to be
working since I apply it early in the spring before there are signs of
ants.

Just can not get the good stuff any more. Not sure of the spelling, but the
good old Chlordane took care of about everything.

I got some. I didn't even want to use it. Didn't need to.

Greg

Can you still buy over the net? My dad used that stuff and it
appeared to work great !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
Don't have them but see them in a stump about 25 feet from the house.
Just wondering what I should do as a homeowner to keep them away from the
house. Not interested in hiring an exterminator. Next door neighbor had
them a few years ago and needed exterminator who treated infestation and
set up the stakes with juvenile hormone bait and killed the nest. With
all the wood around our houses they are back and I want to keep them away
from my house.

Had a house built by a bad builder. I bought it when it was about 12 years
old. Showed no evidence of termites. Had a crawl space. Some years later did
some major remodeling. Stripped the outer siding from house. Guess
what...Termites. They go for water. One rain gutter allowed for water
seepage. to get through to the outer wall studs. Termites had chewed there
way up through the studs to get to it. TIME to call the professionals for
help The pumped chemicals into the ground along the perimeter out side the
house and in the crawl space along the footing. Also drilled holes through
the concrete floor of the attached garage pumped chemical there also. Then
sealed holes with concrete. No more termites after that. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
I did survive the termites that hit the neighbor but at the time had
access to diazinone which I always sprayed the foundation with to keep
out ants and termites and never got invaded by ants until I could no
longer get diazinone. The Spectracide ant barrier appears to be
working since I apply it early in the spring before there are signs of
ants.

Just can not get the good stuff any more. Not sure of the spelling, but the
good old Chlordane took care of about everything.

I got some. I didn't even want to use it. Didn't need to.

Greg

Can you still buy over the net? My dad used that stuff and it
appeared to work great !!

I think its legal in Canada.

It's not pollution. It decays over time. It's just hazardous if used
incorrectly.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

Spectricide has a termite detector spike that will tell you if termites
are near the house but I declined to buy these.

It's not just a detector, it's got nest-killing poison that's very
effective. I've been using them for over 7 years with no sign of termites
returning. The indicator lets you know when termites have taken the bait.
A spring indictator pops up when the bait (holding the indicator down) is
eaten away. Unfortunately, it also "pops" when the bait is dissolved by
water. I would definitely be laying down at least half a dozen stakes
between my house and wherever I saw termites in the backyard.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

I was under the impression Thermidor is a barrier chemical only with
professionals. My neighbor had the invasion treated with something but
then they put down bait stations to draw in termites and then put in
wood with a juvenile hormone which wiped out the nest. Been years since
I've seen any sign of termites but now they are back in the same place
between our houses. He's got all kinds of dead wood on his property as
do his adjacent neighbors.

In that case I would be putting in a dozen or more stakes, and burying some
twice as deep as recommended. Why? Because termites tend to borrow deeper
to reach your home when the surface soil around it has traces of
insecticides. With access to lots of wood, termites can create huge
supercolonies. That's something you don't want because controlling them
becomes very, very difficult.

I would venture they never really completely died out in the first "kill
off" but were reduced in numbers substantially. That's based on them
appearing in the same place.

The Spectacide-type hormone baits seem to have worked well enough for your
area in the past. I'd go with what's worked before. You can save $100's by
doing it yourself.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2012 7:50 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. I'm going to add the stakes too. I had figured the detector
would pop when degraded and you have confirmed this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:43:31 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message

Spectricide has a termite detector spike that will tell you if termites
are near the house but I declined to buy these.

It's not just a detector, it's got nest-killing poison that's very
effective. I've been using them for over 7 years with no sign of termites
returning. The indicator lets you know when termites have taken the bait.
A spring indictator pops up when the bait (holding the indicator down) is
eaten away. Unfortunately, it also "pops" when the bait is dissolved by
water. I would definitely be laying down at least half a dozen stakes
between my house and wherever I saw termites in the backyard.

Do you have a rough idea what these cost per unit ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:50:38 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

What do you call these things in case I choose to buy some and
typically where are they sold?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

Spectricide has a termite detector spike that will tell you if termites
are near the house but I declined to buy these.

It's not just a detector, it's got nest-killing poison that's very
effective. *I've been using them for over 7 years with no sign of termites
returning. *The indicator lets you know when termites have taken the bait.
A spring indictator pops up when the bait (holding the indicator down) is
eaten away. *Unfortunately, it also "pops" when the bait is dissolved by
water. *I would definitely be laying down at least half a dozen stakes
between my house and wherever I saw termites in the backyard.

Do you have a rough idea what these cost per unit ?

They are called something like Spectracide Termite Stakes.
When I was at Lowes they had two sets, one for about $40 and a smaller
one for about $16.
Before going to Lowes, about 10 miles away, I stopped at local Kmart
and they had zilch for termites.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've bought from this company
http://www.gardensalive.com/
Someone else referred me there for pantry pest traps. Not sure if they have
termite stuff. In spite of the "green" promotions, I've found their products
do work. They also send coupons, a couple times a year.

Oops.... I did search for "termite" and got zero hits.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

They are called something like Spectracide Termite Stakes.
When I was at Lowes they had two sets, one for about $40 and a smaller
one for about $16.
Before going to Lowes, about 10 miles away, I stopped at local Kmart
and they had zilch for termites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Now googling up at Lowes, from the reviews, I don't think I'll buy them:

http://tinyurl.com/7f853mu

Detector apparently can pop up in as little as three weeks after rain.

The Lowes site looks good to check out as they mention other products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

Spectricide has a termite detector spike that will tell you if termites
are near the house but I declined to buy these.

It's not just a detector, it's got nest-killing poison that's very
effective. I've been using them for over 7 years with no sign of termites
returning. The indicator lets you know when termites have taken the bait.
A spring indictator pops up when the bait (holding the indicator down) is
eaten away. Unfortunately, it also "pops" when the bait is dissolved by
water. I would definitely be laying down at least half a dozen stakes
between my house and wherever I saw termites in the backyard.

Do you have a rough idea what these cost per unit ?

What he says: g

They are called something like Spectracide Termite Stakes. When I was at
Lowes they had two sets, one for about $40 and a smaller one for about $16.
Before going to Lowes, about 10 miles away, I stopped at local Kmart and
they had zilch for termites.

I get them from Amazon in March of each year before the termites swarm. I
lay out all the stakes in the first kit and put out the second kit's stakes
throughout the spring and summer, especially those that get wet and pop even
though no termite activity was present on the cardboard bait (chewed LOOKS
different than waterdamaged). Compared to what my neighbor pays Orkin for
the same damn thing, I'm still getting a bargain.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Looking there, I found Bayer Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer
Concentrate. Reading the label and talking to Bayer on phone, you can
trench, just 6 inches around foundation and apply diluted concentrate.
A gallon would cover over 50 linear feet and costs about $70.
Not on label but tech said treatment is good for 3-5 years. At my age,
that could be a lifetime warranty. Think that is going to be my next
move. My whole house would take about 4 gallons but I only intend to do
side where termites are and half my foundation is well above ground as
house is on a slope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

The stakes need to be put in where there's runoff from downspouts and such
because termites (most) need to make mud tubes for transit into your house.
That requires moisture. They can't stand exposure to sunlight so they take
the dirt with them, so to speak.

When they pop, you can withdraw them and examine them to see if it was water
or bugs that caused the indicator to trip. Termites cause a definitive
eating-away pattern on the cardboard. Water just makes the whole thing
mushy.

They come with a little green rainshield, an auger and a DVD explaining the
process. The little shields help limit water intrusion but some people
don't use them because they look tacky. We use the shields in the backyard
but not in the front. The ones in the front degrade a little faster, but
not much. When you dig a hole, make sure the stakes are packed in tight.
They are much less effective if there's a gap between the stake and the
soil.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 4/10/2012 11:38 AM, Doug wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:50:38 -0400, "Robert Green"

stuff snipped

Now googling up at Lowes, from the reviews, I don't think I'll buy them:

http://tinyurl.com/7f853mu

Detector apparently can pop up in as little as three weeks after rain.

The Lowes site looks good to check out as they mention other products.

Remember, people usually bother to write only to complain. (-: Yes, they
do pop up from the rain and not termites but it should be considered that
other products will simply wash away with the rain with no notice that they
need replacing. The termite stakes warn you either way and it's pretty easy
to tell which is which. They used to come without the pop-up indicator, but
even with the rain issues, I still prefer the pop-ups because I just pull
the popped one out and slide a new one in within seconds.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default also

Bayer Advanced Termite Killer granules, stuff I put down yesterday, is
good for 6 months. I only did half the foundation, near where termites
are and still have enough for another treatment. It's a 15 minute job
as all you do is sprinkle around foundation and water in.

Also went in the basement and poked around boards on that side and all
looks well.

Termites Ray K Home Repair 17 April 24th 07 04:04 AM
termites mo Home Repair 19 September 27th 06 04:27 AM
How to get rid of termites Ejohnson Home Repair 8 May 13th 06 09:41 PM
termites [email protected] Woodworking 11 March 6th 05 03:00 PM
Termites Ben Siders Woodworking 7 August 8th 03 12:51 AM