Posted to alt.home.repair
mo

Default termites

Hello, are there any "good" products that will
help keep termites away from foundation of house?
Foundation is cinderblock.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

My suggestion is to bury LARGE chunks of solid oak all along your foundation
that will give them something to eat other than your foundation. Make sure
the chunks are no smaller than 10 inches as that is the area that termites
Live breed and die in, they "never " venture further than 10" from their
place of birth. Also, make sure you remove any trace of rock or cement from
around the the chunks of oak as this is just like handing them a free meal
as they love to eat anything made from aggregate.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suggest termite control is one job it pays to call a contractor -
pest control. Burying oak seems like a good way to provide termites
with a rest stop/food supply - though I admit I've never tried it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

OH geeze, lighten up people it was a joke, the guys got a BLOCK foundation,
why on earth would termites be a problem to block?

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

Foundations crack over time. I had termites come up and eat on a
carpet tack strip - only place we found them and wouldn't have even
known they were there but they started to swarm. There were small
cracks in the foundation when we pulled up the carpet to look.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

RobertM wrote in message ...

Because termites will build mud tunnels up the block to the sill

plates
and then they'll huff and puff and blow the house down.

Bob

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

mo wrote:
Hello, are there any "good" products that will
help keep termites away from foundation of house?
Foundation is cinderblock.

I will add one idea. Remember that termite problems and solutions
depend on the area in which the home is located.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Shopdog" wrote in message
OH geeze, lighten up people it was a joke, the guys got a BLOCK
foundation, why on earth would termites be a problem to block?

Searcher

Termites make termite tubes Right up the foundation right to the wood. And
they will eat threw redwood to get to other wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Our inspector discovered termites around the house foundation that we were
buying, The foundation is cut boulders then stone. We too live on solid
limestone, the termites that were found were NOT invading the house nor were
they an established colony, it seems that the previous owners had mulch
delivered which contained the termites, there was what looked to me like a
pile of them. When the exterminator came he literally picked up the mulch
and showed us the termites. We then had the entire house treated. Better to
be safe then sorry. FWIW, I had no clue that termites could infiltrate block
nor did I know they could eat redwood. (or borrow through it to get to other
wood, rather)

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. net...

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article d_M9g.2500$mU6.1959@trnddc07, says...
Hello, are there any "good" products that will
help keep termites away from foundation of house?
Foundation is cinderblock.

Termidor is the only product I would have put around the foundation only
and still expect some protection of the inside, Phantom may also do the
trick. Other products will stop activity where they are placed, but may
push the activity to areas inside such as plumbing areas or the interior
side of foundations.

I will agree with Themidor in my research it's the best thing going. Also
do not get caught up in the Baiting station thing It's throwing money away
just to sleep good at night. Have a annual inspection done. For what it's
worth Terminex was the worst Co. I dealt with, there like a used car
salesmen with a bug sprayer.

I agree with you regarding Terminix. Over the years, I've had the best
results with local independent pest control companies, both for price and
the quality of the work done. I think the worst thing is to get involved
with a year long contract for monthly treatments of any kind. Once you sign
the contract, there is no incentive for them to do a good job. When pressed
to sign a contract, I told the local man that if his work was good he
needn't worry about my staying with him for several years. And if his work
was bad, then the contract wasn't worth the paper it was written on. We have
an understanding and no contract.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Shopdog wrote:
OH geeze, lighten up people it was a joke, the guys got a BLOCK foundation,
why on earth would termites be a problem to block?

Searcher

Subterranean termites build mud tubes to traverse block and get at the
footers and the rest of the wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

RobertM wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .

mo wrote:

Hello, are there any "good" products that will
help keep termites away from foundation of house?
Foundation is cinderblock.

I will add one idea. Remember that termite problems and solutions
depend on the area in which the home is located.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

The pro's will tell you that there are only two kinds of homes. Those
that have been treated for termites and those that will need to be treated.
Sounds like a marketing slogan. Termites were a big problem when I had the
house in Arizona. Here in Tennessee, I've had the house inspected and no
sign of termites. Soil here is one to three feet of clay over solid
limestone which is several hundred feet in depth.

Bob

Live near a woods? Find a chunk of rotted wood on the ground and see
what is in it ) I don't know how inevitable termites are - seem
almost that way here in Florida - but most times homeowners can learn
maintenance measures to help prevent them, and signs to look for to find
them. Best to find a mud tube before the main support beam collapses
) Univ. of Fla. invented bait systems, or A system, and last time I
looked there wasn't enough data to compare effectiveness. There are
lots of varieties, different ones dominant in different areas, so the
advice to research locally was good.

One clue: they don't eat through paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair
WM

On Sun, 14 May 2006 21:07:21 GMT, "mo" wrote:

Hello, are there any "good" products that will
help keep termites away from foundation of house?
Foundation is cinderblock.

You can complete a course over the internet to get your own license
to buy some excellent termite chemicals. They are relatively safe
compared to massive insecticides some so-called termite professionals
use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 May 2006 11:30:48 GMT, WM
wrote:
You can complete a course over the internet to get your own license
to buy some excellent termite chemicals. They are relatively safe
compared to massive insecticides some so-called termite professionals
use.

Do you have any links you can post?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

wrote:
You can complete a course over the internet to get your own license
to buy some excellent termite chemicals. They are relatively safe
compared to massive insecticides some so-called termite professionals
use.

Do you have any links you can post?

To be licensed in any state you must complete a number of hours of
class room and field work in order to take a state exam. Not sure
what the earlier poster was referring to, but some of the newer
termite products, the manufactures require the various pest control
companies and certified applicators to take a certification course
before the product can be bought, but they still do require a
certified Applicators Li #, which in Texas for example takes a number
of years of experience before it can be acquired.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

"
Termidor and Phantom Certification Training

Internet Explorer is the recommended browser to use when taking BASF
training.

To purchase and apply Termidor® termiticide-insecticide and Phantom®
termiticide-insecticide, BASF Professional Pest Control requires at
least one person to be certified from each pest control company or
branch that is responsible for the installation, monitoring and
servicing of Termidor and Phantom. Ideally, each person who is
involved in the installation, monitoring and servicing should be
certified.
"

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

WM wrote in
news
On Sun, 14 May 2006 21:07:21 GMT, "mo" wrote:

Hello, are there any "good" products that will
help keep termites away from foundation of house?
Foundation is cinderblock.

You can complete a course over the internet to get your own license
to buy some excellent termite chemicals. They are relatively safe
compared to massive insecticides some so-called termite professionals
use.

Sally Struthers matchbook cover school of termite annihilation.