Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default termites

On 4/10/2012 11:38 AM, Doug wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:50:38 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

I was under the impression Thermidor is a barrier chemical only with
professionals. My neighbor had the invasion treated with something but
then they put down bait stations to draw in termites and then put in
wood with a juvenile hormone which wiped out the nest. Been years since
I've seen any sign of termites but now they are back in the same place
between our houses. He's got all kinds of dead wood on his property as
do his adjacent neighbors.

In that case I would be putting in a dozen or more stakes, and burying some
twice as deep as recommended. Why? Because termites tend to borrow deeper
to reach your home when the surface soil around it has traces of
insecticides. With access to lots of wood, termites can create huge
supercolonies. That's something you don't want because controlling them
becomes very, very difficult.

I would venture they never really completely died out in the first "kill
off" but were reduced in numbers substantially. That's based on them
appearing in the same place.

The Spectacide-type hormone baits seem to have worked well enough for your
area in the past. I'd go with what's worked before. You can save $100's by
doing it yourself.

What do you call these things in case I choose to buy some and
typically where are they sold?

Now googling up at Lowes, from the reviews, I don't think I'll buy them:

http://tinyurl.com/7f853mu

Detector apparently can pop up in as little as three weeks after rain.

The Lowes site looks good to check out as they mention other products.