Posted to alt.home.repair
Ejohnson

Default How to get rid of termites

Hello;

I had exterminators look at my house, because of a small termite
problem. They gave me a free estimate and the total is going to be
around $2200.00 for everything including the bait spikes they will put
in the ground inside and outside around my house which would include
monthly change-out for about a 2 year plan...does this sound like a
good price? I don't know anything about this, $2200.00 (or more) seems
expensive to me. Is there something I could do myself? Could I buy
these bait/poison spikes somewhere and install them myself? This all
started when I found mud trials and rotted lumber in my cellar. Thanks
for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Ejohnson wrote:

Hello;

I had exterminators look at my house, because of a small termite
problem. They gave me a free estimate and the total is going to be
around $2200.00 for everything including the bait spikes they will put
in the ground inside and outside around my house which would include
monthly change-out for about a 2 year plan...does this sound like a
good price? I don't know anything about this, $2200.00 (or more) seems
expensive to me. Is there something I could do myself? Could I buy
these bait/poison spikes somewhere and install them myself? This all
started when I found mud trials and rotted lumber in my cellar. Thanks
for any help.

If that price really includes monthly professional checkups and bait
replacements for 24 months it doesn't sound unreasonable.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Ejohnson wrote:

Hello;

I had exterminators look at my house, because of a small termite
problem. They gave me a free estimate and the total is going to be
around $2200.00 for everything including the bait spikes they will put
in the ground inside and outside around my house which would include
monthly change-out for about a 2 year plan...does this sound like a
good price? I don't know anything about this, $2200.00 (or more) seems
expensive to me. Is there something I could do myself? Could I buy
these bait/poison spikes somewhere and install them myself? This all
started when I found mud trials and rotted lumber in my cellar. Thanks
for any help.

Does that price include a yearly contract that will pay to have any new
damage repaired ? If so, the yearly costs might be around $125-150 and
will be well worth it if you get any major damage. If you get the
contact make sure they document any existing damage so they can't claim
any new damage was old and there to start with.

If you do it yourself you might/might not get them all and you would be
responsible for any damage that you couldn't see until it's too late.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lucky

If you can't find good answers, try asking this in
alt.consumers.pest-control. I had a treatment for much less than
that, though it depends on where you live, and the type of termites.

After doing my "homework", I found out that the bait systems are
worthless. You can't bait a termite with wood if they've already found
a good source (your house), and no chemical will attract them. Opt for
Termidor applied by a professional pest control tech. The company
should give you a guarantee as long as you pay a yearly maintenance
fee ($100 per year in my case) and they check yearly for signs of
termites. If found, they will treat again. YMMV.

"Ejohnson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello;

I had exterminators look at my house, because of a small termite
problem. They gave me a free estimate and the total is going to be
around $2200.00 for everything including the bait spikes they will
put
in the ground inside and outside around my house which would include
monthly change-out for about a 2 year plan...does this sound like a
good price? I don't know anything about this, $2200.00 (or more)
seems
expensive to me. Is there something I could do myself? Could I buy
these bait/poison spikes somewhere and install them myself? This all
started when I found mud trials and rotted lumber in my cellar.
Thanks
for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Spectracide baits worked for me and it only cost maybe 100$, after I
had the baits in I checked them, when I found one with termites I added
more bait stakes. Try it first, its alot cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar

In article . com,
says...
Hello;

I had exterminators look at my house, because of a small termite
problem. They gave me a free estimate and the total is going to be
around $2200.00 for everything including the bait spikes they will put
in the ground inside and outside around my house which would include
monthly change-out for about a 2 year plan...does this sound like a
good price? I don't know anything about this, $2200.00 (or more) seems
expensive to me. Is there something I could do myself? Could I buy
these bait/poison spikes somewhere and install them myself? This all
started when I found mud trials and rotted lumber in my cellar. Thanks
for any help.

Sounds like you are dealing with one of the National companies or at
least a small guy trying to act like one... check with friends and
neighbors and see who they may use and TRUST. You can place out the
baits yourself, probably even the same products that the pros use but if
you ever sell the home and the evidence of previous activity with no
paperwork showing it was professionally treated the buyers may insist on
you paying for some more termite work. Here is an example of the failure
of baits...
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/sen1.JPG
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/sen2.JPG This home was treated in 2000,
maybe 1999, by spot treating the area of activity, then placing out the
baits. In the second pic you can see the original tube in the light
which is about a fingers width. The termites moved over a few inches
and continued on even though there was a bait station within a foot and
by the size of the new tube it had been there four or five years. I will
usually come across this type of scenario a few times a year when I do
inspections for real estate transactions (WDI reports). As another
poster suggested have the home treated with Termidor. We have yet to
have a call back on any home we have treated with it and that is pretty
much the same story we hear from other exterminators around the country.
It works totally different from other products out there and it has
actually changed the way termite work can be done. In my case I actually
charge less for what I charged for termite work 4-5 years ago and the
homes are much better protected. And, when doing WDI inspections I have
yet to come across a home with termites that had been previously treated
with Termidor. Shop around, you will probably find a reasonable price.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

After having a major termite problem in my old house I would guess the
repairs would of been around 20K to 25K, but being a Contractor I did it
myself. This is my advice Talk to as many termite Co. as you can. Read up
on this Termite Baiting system. This is what I found Pretty much a Waste of
Money, Two of the 4 Co. I talked said it's a make you sleep good at night
thing. I also found college study that pretty much came up with the same
conclusion. If your house is on a raised foundation ask if the put the
spikes under the house. They told me no, Seams to be a big area unprotected.
The baiting is a real Money maker for the pest Co. Monthly contracts
determines their CO. value Ask about the warranty , ask about if you get
termites again if it's covered.
What I did was all the repairs myself, Had a product called
Thermador ( sp) spayed, My research found it the best. The best thing is
have termite inspection done once a year, A whole lot cheaper. I will throw
this in . I had Terminex do an inspection largest pest Co in the world. The
inspector outright lied about problem areas, kept trying to push this
monthly service down my throat and he actually pulled a loan application out
of his back pocket. So you need to do your home work.

"Ejohnson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello;

I had exterminators look at my house, because of a small termite
problem. They gave me a free estimate and the total is going to be
around $2200.00 for everything including the bait spikes they will put
in the ground inside and outside around my house which would include
monthly change-out for about a 2 year plan...does this sound like a
good price? I don't know anything about this, $2200.00 (or more) seems
expensive to me. Is there something I could do myself? Could I buy
these bait/poison spikes somewhere and install them myself? This all
started when I found mud trials and rotted lumber in my cellar. Thanks
for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in FL and we have had our house treated twice. The first time when
we found termites in a carpet tack strip and the second time when the
original five year contract ran out, just as a precaution. I plan to
do it again next year when the current five year contract runs out. I
went for the kind of treatment where they drill down into the
foundation and put in poison. The next time they do it, they will use
Termidor and the guarantee will be for 10 years. It cost a lot less
than what you were quoted. Five years ago, they drilled in the
original holes and it cost slightly less (about $600) than what I paid
for the first treatment because it wasn't as much trouble. Termidor
will cost a little more, I was told, but still nothing like what you
were quoted. Be sure and ask around and try to find someone you know
who has first hand experience with the company. If there is a consumer
protection agency there, check with them, too. Termite treatments are
expensive and you want to get what you pay for.