Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default termites

"Frank" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 11:36 am, "Doug" wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:43:31 -0400, "Robert Green"

wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

Spectricide has a termite detector spike that will tell you if termites
are near the house but I declined to buy these.

It's not just a detector, it's got nest-killing poison that's very
effective. I've been using them for over 7 years with no sign of termites
returning. The indicator lets you know when termites have taken the bait.
A spring indictator pops up when the bait (holding the indicator down) is
eaten away. Unfortunately, it also "pops" when the bait is dissolved by
water. I would definitely be laying down at least half a dozen stakes
between my house and wherever I saw termites in the backyard.

Do you have a rough idea what these cost per unit ?

What he says: g

They are called something like Spectracide Termite Stakes. When I was at
Lowes they had two sets, one for about $40 and a smaller one for about $16.
Before going to Lowes, about 10 miles away, I stopped at local Kmart and
they had zilch for termites.

I get them from Amazon in March of each year before the termites swarm. I
lay out all the stakes in the first kit and put out the second kit's stakes
throughout the spring and summer, especially those that get wet and pop even
though no termite activity was present on the cardboard bait (chewed LOOKS
different than waterdamaged). Compared to what my neighbor pays Orkin for
the same damn thing, I'm still getting a bargain.

--
Bobby G.