Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney - is repair possible?

I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. My guess is that the
only real option is to have a new chimney built to replace it. But, just in
case, I thought that I would post here to see if there is any possibility of
repairing this one rather than replacing it.

This is a side-by-side twin home, so this is actually two chimneys instead
of one -- one for each house. The height of the chimney is about 10 feet up
from the roof line. Here are two photos:

http://tinypic.com/r/t8rtac/5

http://tinypic.com/r/9unmvb/5

Is there any chance that this chimney could be saved by removing the
existing stucco, then maybe doing a complete re-stucco (that included
filling in between the bricks, etc) using wire lath, and add a new cap? If
so, is there a special type of cement that would be used for this?

Or, if removing this chimney and building a new one is the only option, do
they make cement chimney blocks that are preformed for a double chimney like
this one? The only preformed cement chimney blocks that I see are either
square or rectangular, but only for one chimney not two chimneys like this
one.

Does anyone have a rough ballpark figure of what it might cost to have a new
double chimney built (about 10 feet high) to replace this one? This is in
southern New Jersey.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote:
[...]

I would not go up there. I had a lot of success with a fiberglass
reinforced mixture. I would think the old stuff would have to come off,
depending how fit it is.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 10:14*pm, gregz wrote:
"TomR" wrote:
[...]

far easier and better to remove the chimneys at least that part above
the roof line. taking them totally down thru the building can gain
more interior space.

with high efficency direct vent furnaces and water tanks theres no
real need for a chimney....

they just increase maintence costs and increase the risks of roof leaks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:15:11 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
[...]

Hard to tell from the pictures. It is possible that the stucco just needs replacing. An on-sight inspection by a qualified mason experienced in chimney work is the only way to be sure. One of my neighbors had his chimney repaired very similar to yours. About half the chimney from roof to top was removed and replaced with what I think is called a chimney pot. traditionally these were made of Terracotta but I think now they are available in more durable materials. Other alternatives may be available depending on how you use your fireplace.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 6:15*pm, "TomR" wrote:
[...]

GET A PROFESSIONAL OPINION. This is fire here and code compliance
issues!

Used to live in 100 yr old 2-story home in San Jose, CA with an often
used, and now above the roof line, deteriorated chimney. The mortar
between the bricks has fallen out and most of the lining has fallen
down inside over time. Even a few bricks have dislodged slightly from
their angle.

SJ was trying to dissuade people from using fireplaces, so the City
Council makes it almost impossible to inexpensively fix a chimney. The
rule is that in order to repair the podge surfacing and missing
mortar, the chimney MUST be taken down to the ground and built back
up!. End of story.$15k to 20kjust to start. Not even allowed to shove
a metal liner down the thing, podge around the tube, shore up the
externl, and now unnecessary, brick!

If the house had been located in the adjacent town, code is to fix the
part that needs repair. $3k to $5k !!!

The interior, firebox part I repaired using special high temperature
mortar specially designed for fireplaces. Regular mortar will crumble
out.

I used high temperature propane torch to burn off any black residue to
make it easy to work on the firebox liner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:15:11 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

[...]

No you can not fix it. Replace it. Cost will be somewhere between $1
and $500,000.

It looks really bad. Expect it to fall at any moment, crash through
your roof, and kill several people in the house. I'd leave that house
immediately until the chimney is removed. Or just put a chain around
it, connect it to the bumper of your car, and pull it down. You might
lose part of the roof, but that beats losing lives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 2:15*am, "TomR" wrote:
[...]

I agree with the others. It needs to come down.
There are plenty of heating systems available that need no chimney,
especially if there is natural gas in your area. Or you could think
heat pump.

It will cost much less to run in fuel terms also.

If you need a chimney for an "open" fire, you would be better to
replace it with a twin wall insulated stainless steel chimney. This
would be cheaper, more efficient and easier maintenance. It could be
either internal or external.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

I'll try to write more later today but may not be able to from a work
computer.

In the meantime, I just wanted to add that this is not a fireplace chimney.
It is 2 chimneys, one for each house, and each house has a gas-fired steam
radiator heater for heat and a gas-fired hot water heater for hot water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 10:52*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:14*pm, gregz wrote:

"TomR" wrote:
[...]

they just increase maintence costs and increase the risks of roof leaks- Hide quoted text -

Good points. It's impossible to tell the true state of
the chimney without taking off some or all of that stucco.
But from what can be seen it doesn't look good.
The stucco on brick itself is a bad sign. Most times
that winds up there because the brick was deteriorating
and instead of fixing it correctly, someone just put
a cosmetic stucco job over it. That just makes it
fail even faster, with water trapped, freezing behind
the stucco.

If it comes to a new chimney, I agree it would be a good time
to evaluate high efficiency boiler and water heater
options as an alternative. If the boilers are old and
inefficient, that route could make economic sense
instead of putting $$$ into a new chimney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 2:15 am, "TomR" wrote:
I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. My guess is that the
only real option is to have a new chimney built to replace it. But, just
in
case, I thought that I would post here to see if there is any possibility
of
repairing this one rather than replacing it.

This is a side-by-side twin home, so this is actually two chimneys instead
of one -- one for each house. The height of the chimney is about 10 feet
up
from the roof line. Here are two photos:

http://tinypic.com/r/t8rtac/5

http://tinypic.com/r/9unmvb/5
. . . . ,

I agree with the others. It needs to come down.
There are plenty of heating systems available that need no chimney,
especially if there is natural gas in your area. Or you could think
heat pump.

It will cost much less to run in fuel terms also.

===============

Thanks, but changing to a different heating system that does not need a
chimney is not an option in this case. This is a side-by-side twin home --
I own one side and my neighbor owns the other side. Each side has a
gas-fired steam radiator heating system for heat and a gas-fired hot water
heater for hot water. My side is rented out and my neighbor's side is
owner-occupied. I will probably be paying for the entire chimney repair or
replacement even though it is for both homes. However, I am sure that my
neighbor will not want to get a new high efficiency (direct vent,
no-chimney) heating system and hot water system, and I don't have much of an
interest in doing that either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message

I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. My guess is that the
only real option is to have a new chimney built to replace it. But, just
in case, I thought that I would post here to see if there is any
possibility of repairing this one rather than replacing it.

You also need to find out appropriate Fire Code and building
regulations. Some jurisdictions may require repairs, others not,
some require repair by a licensed tradesman, etc. Local law
affects your property insurance too.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

----
It will cost much less to run in fuel terms also.

===============

Thanks, but changing to a different heating system that does not need a
chimney is not an option in this case. *This is a side-by-side twin home --
I own one side and my neighbor owns the other side. *Each side has a
gas-fired steam radiator heating system for heat and a gas-fired hot water

I think with steam it's impossible to get a direct vent
system and also impossible to get really high efficiency.
And since it's rented out, the fuel costs aren't
yours, so I agree that would seem to eliminate the
direct vent option.

heater for hot water. /*My side is rented out and my neighbor's side is
owner-occupied. *I will probably be paying for the entire chimney repair or
replacement even though it is for both homes.

How is it that you have to foot the entire cost instead
of it being split 50-50? One option would be to replace
the chimney with one built from framing and covered
with siding. That should be a lot less expensive than
going with brick.

*However, I am sure that my
neighbor will not want to get a new high efficiency (direct vent,
no-chimney) heating system and hot water system, and I don't have much of an
interest in doing that either.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in :

[...]

If someone claims they can fix that mess:

- Get it in writing (including warranty).
- Make sure they are bonded and insured and that their
workers are insured.
- In the contract, make sure they will get permits
and inspections.

There's a LOT of liability in this one - for the tenants & workers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 8, 8:49 am, "TomR" wrote:

Thanks, but changing to a different heating system that does not need a
chimney is not an option in this case. This is a side-by-side twin home --
I own one side and my neighbor owns the other side. Each side has a
gas-fired steam radiator heating system for heat and a gas-fired hot water

I think with steam it's impossible to get a direct vent
system and also impossible to get really high efficiency.

+++++++++

I think that's correct, or at least that is what I have heard from anyone I
know.

. . . My side is rented out and my neighbor's side is
owner-occupied. I will probably be paying for the entire chimney repair or
replacement even though it is for both homes.

One option would be to replace
the chimney with one built from framing and covered
with siding. That should be a lot less expensive than
going with brick.

+++++++++

I would certainly consider that, but I would have to find out how that is
done.

I was also thinking, "Doesn't anyone make a light weight prefab/pre-made
chimney unit that people could buy and use for replacing above-the-roof
chimneys?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 11:21*am, "TomR" wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

[...]

radiator heater for heat and a gas-fired hot water heater for hot water.- Hide quoted text -

You need to get rid of all that obsolete technology. (And the chimney)
You can get a gas system now that will use less than a third of your
present fuel.
Probably you need to look at the insulation of the house too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 4:52*pm, "TomR" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 8, 8:49 am, "TomR" wrote:

[...]

One can buy concrete sectional chimneys but they look pretty awful.
You will likely find that the inside of the existing chimney is worse
than the outside.
Apart from falling down, you can get poisonous combustion gases
leaking into the building with a chimney in that state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 11:21 am, "TomR" wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

You need to get rid of all that obsolete technology. (And the chimney)
You can get a gas system now that will use less than a third of your
present fuel.

+++++++++++++

It is a steam radiator heating system and I don't think there is such a
thing as a high efficiency direct-vent steam heat system. It is a one-pipe
steam radiator heat system, which means it cannot be practically converted
to a two-pipe hot water radiator heat system. Plus, there are two homes
here -- mine and the house that is attached to mine. So, that would mean two
new heaters and two completely new heating systems through both houses, plus
two new hot water heaters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 1:03*pm, "TomR" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Apr 8, 11:21 am, "TomR" wrote:

"TomR" wrote in message

You need to get rid of all that obsolete technology. (And the chimney)
You can get a gas system now that will use less than a third of your
present fuel.

+++++++++++++

It is a steam radiator heating system and I don't think there is such a
thing as a high efficiency direct-vent steam heat system. *It is a one-pipe
steam radiator heat system, which means it cannot be practically converted
to a two-pipe hot water radiator heat system. * Plus, there are two homes
here -- mine and the house that is attached to mine. So, that would mean two
new heaters and two completely new heating systems through both houses, plus
two new hot water heaters.

you might find the cost of rebuilding the chimney exceeds the cost of
upgrading both homes to direct vent forced hot water heat direct
vent.largely depends on chimney condition espically the inside

the insides of the chimneys will no doubt be worse than the outside.

if the other owner refuses to cooperate upgrade your half of the home
to forced hot water direct vent and abandon the chimney for your use
completely......
you would save big bucks on heating your home

the chimneys should really get a camera inspection which might show
real safety hazards.

till these issues are solved both homes should get carbon monoxide
detectors for both familys safety.

I might add most very high chimneys like yours were often that way for
fireplaces, to clear the roof line. a chimney pro could advisde you if
it could be shortened which might save some bucks....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 8, 8:49 am, "TomR" wrote:

[...]

What if you knocked it down and installed pipes at roofline.
The only way to get maximum efficiency from hot water or steam, is to have
another heat exchanger after the boiler, converting the rest to hot air.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Call a heating contractor for free estimates

I called a old friend Lou, who went thru this same situation a few
years ago. his chimney was bad and he had one pipe steam system.

local contractors wanted 15 grand to rebuild and line his chimney so
he priced converting to forced hot water heat with heating for
domestic hot water.

his overall gas bill dropped by over 50% the new boiler conversion
cost less than the chimney rebuild. he has thermostats on each
radiator so some rooms are just kept above freezing in winter, up till
the conversions all rooms were same temperature. his old steam boiler
and hot water tank was humngous. they raised the pipes so he has more
basement head room too. his wife wants to remodel the basement into a
game room...... endless hot water too

he had the chimney above the roof line taken down last year over
safety issues. his wife wants most of the interior taken down to get
more space in home.

he did lose a wood burning fireplace in the living room, he had gas
logs installed and said how nice to never haul wood or ashes
again........ direct vent i believe

Given his report I encourage the OP to price a steam to forced hot
water conversion for his side of the property since he pays the fuel
bills.

the other owner can do whatever he wants at his own schedule unless
the chimney could fall in a storm and do damage.........

If I were OP I would buy 2 CO alarms, one for his unit and the other
for the tenants on the other side. since CO2 could endanger both units

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 3:15*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

He said he RENTS OUT his property. The other
property is the one that is owner occupied. So the fuel
bills aren't an issue. But if the cost of the chimney is
more than a few thousand, I sure would price out the
conversion as you suggested. Also, there are various
state, utility rebates etc that may apply.

the other owner can do whatever he wants at his own schedule unless
the chimney could fall in a storm and do damage.........

If I were OP I would buy 2 CO alarms, one for his unit and the other
for the tenants on the other side. since CO2 could endanger both units

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 2:15*am, "TomR" wrote:
[...]

I am from the UK.
Over here you can/could get firms that repair chimneys by inserting an
inflatable sausage and pouring concrete down the side. This is
vibrated to fill in the open joints in the brick work. The sausage is
deflated and removed.
Haven't seen it done for a while though
Maybe you could look into this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am from the UK.
Over here you can/could get firms that repair chimneys by inserting an
inflatable sausage and pouring concrete down the side. *This is
vibrated to fill in the open joints in the brick work. The sausage is
deflated and removed.
Haven't seen it done for a while though
Maybe you could look into this.

thats good when the interior of the chimney is poor, but overall
structurally sound..... but from the photo the entire chimney looks
bad, the outside appears to need rebuilt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. My guess is that the
only real option is to have a new chimney built to replace it. But, just
in case, I thought that I would post here to see if there is any
possibility of repairing this one rather than replacing it.

This is a side-by-side twin home, so this is actually two chimneys instead
of one -- one for each house. The height of the chimney is about 10 feet
up from the roof line. Here are two photos:

http://tinypic.com/r/t8rtac/5

http://tinypic.com/r/9unmvb/5

Is there any chance that this chimney could be saved by removing the
existing stucco, then maybe doing a complete re-stucco (that included
filling in between the bricks, etc) using wire lath, and add a new cap?
If so, is there a special type of cement that would be used for this?

This is just an update to answer some of my own questions in case anyone is
interested or finds the information to be useful.

Two different chimney repair companies each said that it "may" be possible
to try to repair this chimney, but both strongly recommended against it.
One, before looking at the chimney said that sometimes they can repair and
save old chimneys like this one by wrapping them with wire lath and then
applying a double coat of waterproof cement, depending on the condition of
the bricks. But, after looking at this chimney, he said the bricks are too
dmaged and the chimney is too far gone to try to save it -- it needs to be
torn down and a new chimney built from the roof line up, with new flashing,
etc. He said it is not stable enough and is in danger of falling over. The
other company said it may be possible to try to repair the but the repair
probably wouldn't last very long.

Or, if removing this chimney and building a new one is the only option, do
they make cement chimney blocks that are preformed for a double chimney
like this one? The only preformed cement chimney blocks that I see are
either square or rectangular, but only for one chimney not two chimneys
like this one.

I still don't know the answer to this question.

Does anyone have a rough ballpark figure of what it might cost to have a
new double chimney built (about 10 feet high) to replace this one? This
is in southern New Jersey.

The two different chimney repair companies that gave me estimates so far,
and each one independently quoted the same amount to remove the existing
chimney and build a new one from the roof up including flashing etc. -- they
each said $4,000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2012 8:06 PM, TomR wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

Guessing I came to the same conclusions as the repair companies. $4k
seems reasonable to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
TomR typed:
"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

My neighbor incstall/repairs chimney problems. He (and I agree it's
sensible)said that as long as the pipes inside the chimney were solid and
not broken from the top all the way to the house entry point,, it could be
saved and be as good as day one.
He holds little hopt though; he suspected the ceramic or watever they
are, I forget now, pipes are broken neat the bottom and that touching one
would mess up the ones adkoining it.
It would defnitely take an expert inspection to determine that.
It would be a LOT cheaper & faster to knock the old one down and replace
it with a modern shiny steel double-walled system of pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 10:22*am, "Twayne" wrote:
,
TomR typed:

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

Out of curiousity, how do you save a chimney like that?
It looks like the mortar is all shot and the chimney is
actually leaning? I'm having a hard time figuring out
how you'd repair it structurally, without regard to whether
the flue is damaged.

* *He holds little hopt though; he suspected the ceramic or watever they
are, I forget now, *pipes are broken neat the bottom and that touching one
would mess up the ones adkoining it.
* *It would defnitely take an expert inspection to determine that.
* *It would be a LOT cheaper & faster to knock the old one down and replace
it with a modern shiny steel double-walled system of pipes.- Hide quoted text -

I think to get the code required height and have
it look decent he'd have to put it inside a chimney chase. I
suggested that previously, ie frame/side a chase.
At $4,000 to rebuild the one he has, not sure
how much that would save, but it might be worth
finding out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

since its a 2 family home i would convert my side of the building from
one pipe steam to hot water and let the other owner deal with his
issues himself...

at least get a estimate of costs both ways... conversion vs new
chimney

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 11:23*am, bob haller wrote:

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

chimney- Hide quoted text -

He's got a cost of $4,000 for a new brick chimney.
Hard to see how a conversion from steam to hot water
with a new direct vent furnace is going to compete with
that. And he rents it out, so fuel savings aren't a factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

well just what are the conversion costs???estimates are generally
free.

an a new boiler makes the building worth more not just at resale time
but shoulo help the owner get more for rent
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Twayne wrote:
In ,
TomR typed:
"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

damaged and the chimney is too far gone to try to save it
[...]

My neighbor install/repairs chimney problems. He (and I agree it's
sensible)said that as long as the pipes inside the chimney were solid
and not broken from the top all the way to the house entry point,, it
could be saved and be as good as day one.
He holds little hope though; he suspected the ceramic or whatever
they are, I forget now, pipes are broken neat the bottom and that
touching one would mess up the ones adjoining it.
It would definitely take an expert inspection to determine that.
It would be a LOT cheaper & faster to knock the old one down and
replace it with a modern shiny steel double-walled system of pipes.

Two different companies looked at it and said that trying to save it with a
repair is not likely to work. The reasons they gave are that it is already
leaning, the exposed brick at the top shows that the mortar is almost
completely gone and the bricks are deteriorated, and the exposed bricks at
the bottom are also deteriorated and have a lot of missing mortar. They
said that it has already been patched (with stucco) once, probably because
the bricks and mortar were in bad shape before. Of course, both companies
have a built-in bias toward wanting to do a whole new chimney versus a
repair of the existing one, but I didn't get the sense that either one was
trying to scam me or scare me into a whole new chimney.

I am not opposed to the idea of doing a tear-down of the existing chimney
and replacing the two chimneys with "a modern shiny steel double-walled
system of pipes". So far, I haven't found any chimney companies who even
mention that option and I don't see any chimneys anywhere in my area that
are metal, with the exception of some industrial chimneys. Someone else
earlier suggested putting up metal chimneys and framing around them and
finishing with siding. I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

One of the factors that is involved here is that the existing chimney is for
two attached homes where I own one side and my neighbor owns the other side.
So, the options are not all up to me alone.

Thanks for your thoughts a suggestions. That's why I post here -- to get
ideas and suggestions from others.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

bob haller wrote:

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

Out of curiosity, how do you save a chimney like that?
[...]

I get that you are in favor of the idea of converting my existing one-pipe
steam radiator heating system to a high efficiency two-pipe hot water
radiator system -- so it could be direct-vented out of the side of the house
and eliminate the need for a chimney. I am not sure what you would suggest
regarding the gas hot water heater that I have, or if they make them as
direct-vent high efficiency units.

But, keep in mind that:

1) For me to solve the existing dangerous chimney problem, by having a new
chimney installed, my half of the cost will be about $2,000. Without
needing to get any estimates, I already know that cost is far less than it
would cost to re-pipe the whole one-pipe steam radiators system into a
two-pipe hot water radiator system, plus buy and install a new high
efficiency hot water heating system that can be direct-vented out of the
side of the house, will cost FAR more than my have of the chimney repair.
Then I would also have to figure out the hot water heater. If there is such
a thing as a high efficiency direct vent hot water heater, I'd have to have
one of those bought and installed too.

2) Even if I did the above, I would still have a 10-foot high chimney
sitting on top of my house and the house next door that is leaning over and
in danger of falling. So, unless I get the existing chimney removed, I
still have the danger and liability of the existing chimney.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

[...]

Oops, I posted this from the wrong account. The above message from "Ron" is
actually from me -- "TomR".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message

My neighbor incstall/repairs chimney problems. . . . ,
It would be a LOT cheaper & faster to knock the old one down and replace
it with a modern shiny steel double-walled system of pipes.

Another chimney company came out today. This one started out thinking they
could wrap the chimney with wire mesh and apply cement/stucco to the
exterior. But, after checking it out more, they realized that would not be
possible. I watched them go up on the roof and inspect the chimney. The
stucco just comes off by touching it and the bricks are badly deteriorated
throughout the whole chimney. Plus, with barely any effort, pressing on the
chimney causes it to rock because it is so loose. So, the need for a
tear-down and a new chimney was confirmed by yet another company.

What was interesting is that they recommended tearing this one down to the
roof line and then replacing it with two "triple wall stainless steel
'b-vent' chimneys" -- in other words shiny new metal chimneys. They said it
is much easier to install and they can do the whole thing in one day. The
bad news was that I was expecting that to be cheaper, but their price for
doing this ($4,800) was more than it would cost for me to have a new brick
chimney built.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 8:42*am, "Ron" wrote:
bob haller wrote:

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

you said previously you expected to pay for the entire chimney job so
that would be 4 grand...... the new boiler would include the water
heater...... they are one.

you would send a letter to the co owner informing them of the bad
chimney and that you are converting to direct vent.so the chimney
would be their responsiblity.

it doesnt appear from the photos that if the chmney did fall it would
hit anything.

and since you havent called a heating contractor for a estimate you
have no idea of what a new system would cost.

but heck its your money i am just pointing out another possible
solution one you dont care for,,,,,,,,,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 9:45*pm, "TomR" wrote:
"Twayne" wrote in message

[...]

That is what someone on this thread suggested previously. I also
suggested that approach with a
framed/sided chase around it. The latter would certainly
look better and I'd wonder if they can go high enough
to meet code without a chase. You are going to
make sure they get any necessary permits right?

But it looks right now like rebuilding the chimney from
the roof up is the least expensive. That;s because
they are only rebuilding part of it, where with the other
approach they have to run the new vent pipe all
the way to the boiler.

I'd also make sure that someone actually does an
inspection on the full chimney, running a camera
down there before doing any work. You don't want
to put a new top half on a chimney where the bottom
half is shot too. For example, the mortar could be
shot between the flue sections in the bottom half.
You could solve that by putting a steel liner in the
rebuilt chimney, but that obviously adds to the cost
and should be factored in if needed.

*The
bad news was that I was expecting that to be cheaper, but their price for
doing this ($4,800) was more than it would cost for me to have a new brick
chimney built.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
you said previously you expected to pay for the entire chimney job so
that would be 4 grand...... the new boiler would include the water
heater...... they are one.

you would send a letter to the co owner informing them of the bad
chimney and that you are converting to direct vent.so the chimney
would be their responsibility.

it doesn't appear from the photos that if the chimney did fall it would
hit anything.

and since you haven't called a heating contractor for a estimate you
have no idea of what a new system would cost.

but heck its your money I am just pointing out another possible
solution one you don't care for,,,,,,,,,

You're right, I did day at the beginning that I had a feeling that I was
going to end up having to pay the whole amount to solve the problem (for
reasons that I did not explain). However, that is no longer the case and my
neighbor will be paying for his half of whatever we do.

If the chimney falls, it will crash through the porch roof, possibly with
people sitting on the porch.

I wouldn't want a boiler that also supplies the hot water. But, I could
always convert the my hot water heater to an electric heater. But, I can
assure you that I am not going to convent my whole house heating system to
another system just so I can make it a direct vent system. What type of
heating and hot water system do you have where you reside? Is it a high
efficiency direct vent system?

I'll post elsewhere in this thread about more information that I have been
learning as I go through this process of figuring out the best options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 10:43:48 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

snip

I wouldn't want a boiler that also supplies the hot water.

Why? Two of my houses had domestic hot water coils in the boiler (the other
two have heat pumps). Think of the boiler as a *big* Ranai. ;-)

Chimney repair Tony Miklos[_2_] Home Repair 7 June 3rd 11 01:52 AM
Chimney repair - how to fix? [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 7th 10 03:53 PM
Chimney repair: who do I believe? WPB Home Repair 15 April 19th 08 06:11 PM
Chimney repair nospam UK diy 8 April 23rd 07 06:26 AM
Chimney box repair PM Home Repair 6 October 23rd 05 11:10 AM