Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Chimney - is repair possible?

On Apr 8, 2:15*am, "TomR" wrote:
I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. *My guess is that the
only real option is to have a new chimney built to replace it. *But, just in
case, I thought that I would post here to see if there is any possibility of
repairing this one rather than replacing it.

This is a side-by-side twin home, so this is actually two chimneys instead
of one -- one for each house. *The height of the chimney is about 10 feet up
from the roof line. *Here are two photos:

http://tinypic.com/r/t8rtac/5

http://tinypic.com/r/9unmvb/5

Is there any chance that this chimney could be saved by removing the
existing stucco, then maybe doing a complete re-stucco (that included
filling in between the bricks, etc) using wire lath, and add a new cap? *If
so, is there a special type of cement that would be used for this?

Or, if removing this chimney and building a new one is the only option, do
they make cement chimney blocks that are preformed for a double chimney like
this one? *The only preformed cement chimney blocks that I see are either
square or rectangular, but only for one chimney not two chimneys like this
one.

Does anyone have a rough ballpark figure of what it might cost to have a new
double chimney built (about 10 feet high) to replace this one? *This is in
southern New Jersey.

I am from the UK.
Over here you can/could get firms that repair chimneys by inserting an
inflatable sausage and pouring concrete down the side. This is
vibrated to fill in the open joints in the brick work. The sausage is
deflated and removed.
Haven't seen it done for a while though
Maybe you could look into this.