Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Chimney - is repair possible?

On Apr 8, 11:21*am, "TomR" wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. *My guess is that the
only real option is to have a new chimney built to replace it. *But, just
in case, I thought that I would post here to see if there is any
possibility of repairing this one rather than replacing it.

This is a side-by-side twin home, so this is actually two chimneys instead
of one -- one for each house. *The height of the chimney is about 10 feet
up from the roof line. *Here are two photos:

http://tinypic.com/r/t8rtac/5

http://tinypic.com/r/9unmvb/5

Is there any chance that this chimney could be saved by removing the
existing stucco, then maybe doing a complete re-stucco (that included
filling in between the bricks, etc) using wire lath, and add a new cap?
If so, is there a special type of cement that would be used for this?

Or, if removing this chimney and building a new one is the only option, do
they make cement chimney blocks that are preformed for a double chimney
like this one? *The only preformed cement chimney blocks that I see are
either square or rectangular, but only for one chimney not two chimneys
like this one.

Does anyone have a rough ballpark figure of what it might cost to have a
new double chimney built (about 10 feet high) to replace this one? *This
is in southern New Jersey.

I'll try to write more later today but may not be able to from a work
computer.

In the meantime, I just wanted to add that this is not a fireplace chimney.
It is 2 chimneys, one for each house, and each house has a gas-fired steam
radiator heater for heat and a gas-fired hot water heater for hot water.- Hide quoted text -

You need to get rid of all that obsolete technology. (And the chimney)
You can get a gas system now that will use less than a third of your
present fuel.
Probably you need to look at the insulation of the house too.