Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney - is repair possible?

On Apr 8, 3:15*pm, bob haller wrote:
Call a heating contractor for free estimates

I called a old friend Lou, who went thru this same situation a few
years ago. his chimney was bad and he had one pipe steam system.

local contractors wanted 15 grand to rebuild and line his chimney so
he priced converting to forced hot water heat with heating for
domestic hot water.

his overall gas bill dropped by over 50% the new boiler conversion
cost less than the chimney rebuild. he has thermostats on each
radiator so some rooms are just kept above freezing in winter, up till
the conversions all rooms were same temperature. his old steam boiler
and hot water tank was humngous. they raised the pipes so he has more
basement head room too. his wife wants to remodel the basement into a
game room...... endless hot water too

he had the chimney above the roof line taken down last year over
safety issues. his wife wants most of *the interior taken down to get
more space in home.

he did lose a wood burning fireplace in the living room, he had gas
logs installed and said how nice to never haul wood or ashes
again........ direct vent i believe

Given his report I encourage the OP to price a steam to forced hot
water conversion for his side of the property since he pays the fuel
bills.

He said he RENTS OUT his property. The other
property is the one that is owner occupied. So the fuel
bills aren't an issue. But if the cost of the chimney is
more than a few thousand, I sure would price out the
conversion as you suggested. Also, there are various
state, utility rebates etc that may apply.

the other owner can do whatever he wants at his own schedule unless
the chimney could fall in a storm and do damage.........

If I were OP I would buy 2 CO alarms, one for his unit and the other
for the tenants on the other side. since CO2 could endanger both units