Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Chimney - is repair possible?

On Apr 12, 12:04*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 12, 11:23*am, bob haller wrote:

On Apr 12, 11:11*am, "
wrote:

On Apr 12, 10:22*am, "Twayne" wrote:

,
TomR typed:

"TomR" wrote in message
I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. *My
guess is that the only real option is to have a new
chimney built to replace it. *But, just in case, I
thought that I would post here to see if there is any
possibility of repairing this one rather than replacing
it. *This is a side-by-side twin home, so this is actually
two chimneys instead of one -- one for each house. *The
height of the chimney is about 10 feet up from the roof
line. *Here are two photos:http://tinypic.com/r/t8rtac/5

http://tinypic.com/r/9unmvb/5

Is there any chance that this chimney could be saved by
removing the existing stucco, then maybe doing a
complete re-stucco (that included filling in between the
bricks, etc) using wire lath, and add a new cap? If so,
is there a special type of cement that would be used for
this?

This is just an update to answer some of my own questions
in case anyone is interested or finds the information to
be useful.
Two different chimney repair companies each said that it
"may" be possible to try to repair this chimney, but both
strongly recommended against it. One, before looking at
the chimney said that sometimes they can repair and save
old chimneys like this one by wrapping them with wire
lath and then applying a double coat of waterproof
cement, depending on the condition of the bricks. *But,
after looking at this chimney, he said the bricks are too
dmaged and the chimney is too far gone to try to save it
-- it needs to be torn down and a new chimney built from
the roof line up, with new flashing, etc. *He said it is
not stable enough and is in danger of falling over. *The
other company said it may be possible to try to repair
the but the repair probably wouldn't last very long.
Or, if removing this chimney and building a new one is
the only option, do they make cement chimney blocks that
are preformed for a double chimney like this one? *The
only preformed cement chimney blocks that I see are
either square or rectangular, but only for one chimney
not two chimneys like this one.

I still don't know the answer to this question.

Does anyone have a rough ballpark figure of what it
might cost to have a new double chimney built (about 10
feet high) to replace this one? *This is in southern New
Jersey.

The two different chimney repair companies that gave me
estimates so far, and each one independently quoted the
same amount to remove the existing chimney and build a
new one from the roof up including flashing etc. -- they
each said $4,000.

My neighbor incstall/repairs chimney problems. He (and I agree it's
sensible)said that as long as the pipes inside the chimney were solid and
not broken from the top all the way to the house entry point,, it could be
saved and be as good as day one.

Out of curiousity, how do you save a chimney like that?
It looks like the mortar is all shot and the chimney is
actually leaning? *I'm having a hard time figuring out
how you'd repair it structurally, without regard to whether
the flue is damaged.

* *He holds little hopt though; he suspected the ceramic or watever they
are, I forget now, *pipes are broken neat the bottom and that touching one
would mess up the ones adkoining it.
* *It would defnitely take an expert inspection to determine that.
* *It would be a LOT cheaper & faster to knock the old one down and replace
it with a modern shiny steel double-walled system of pipes.- Hide quoted text -

I think to get the code required height and have
it look decent he'd have to *put it inside a chimney chase. *I
suggested that previously, ie frame/side a chase.
At $4,000 to rebuild the one he has, not sure
how much that would save, but it might be worth
finding out.

since its a 2 family home i would convert my side of the building from
one pipe steam to hot water and let the other owner deal with his
issues himself...

at least get a estimate of costs both ways... conversion vs new
chimney- Hide quoted text -

He's got a cost of $4,000 for a new brick chimney.
Hard to see how a conversion from steam to hot water
with a new direct vent furnace is going to compete with
that. *And he rents it out, so fuel savings aren't a factor.

well just what are the conversion costs???estimates are generally
free.

an a new boiler makes the building worth more not just at resale time
but shoulo help the owner get more for rent