PM

Default Chimney box repair

Planning on replacing the rotted wood trim on my chimney box (replaced
the siding about three years ago with Hardy board cement siding). I'll
need to pull the chimney cap and top plate to access the upper trim
work (Didn't have to do this a few years ago).

I can see how the cap comes off as it looks like I just pry open the
banded clamp at the base and lift off. Top plate looks like it just
lifts off the stove-pipe, as well.

Question: Are these stovepipes usually a single unit from the
fireplace to the chimney cap? Guess what I'm asking is . . what's the
probability of the pipe inadvertantly coming apart somewhere in the
middle, or worse yet at the fireplace, where access is severely
limited???

Thanks,

Phil

Dr. Hardcrab

"PM" wrote in message
ups.com...
Planning on replacing the rotted wood trim on my chimney box (replaced
the siding about three years ago with Hardy board cement siding). I'll
need to pull the chimney cap and top plate to access the upper trim
work (Didn't have to do this a few years ago).

I can see how the cap comes off as it looks like I just pry open the
banded clamp at the base and lift off. Top plate looks like it just
lifts off the stove-pipe, as well.

Question: Are these stovepipes usually a single unit from the
fireplace to the chimney cap? Guess what I'm asking is . . what's the
probability of the pipe inadvertantly coming apart somewhere in the
middle, or worse yet at the fireplace, where access is severely
limited???

Thanks,

I don't want to sound dumb, but what is a chimney box?

calhoun

"PM" wrote in message
ups.com...
Planning on replacing the rotted wood trim on my chimney box (replaced
the siding about three years ago with Hardy board cement siding). I'll
need to pull the chimney cap and top plate to access the upper trim
work (Didn't have to do this a few years ago).

I can see how the cap comes off as it looks like I just pry open the
banded clamp at the base and lift off. Top plate looks like it just
lifts off the stove-pipe, as well.

Question: Are these stovepipes usually a single unit from the
fireplace to the chimney cap? Guess what I'm asking is . . what's the
probability of the pipe inadvertantly coming apart somewhere in the
middle, or worse yet at the fireplace, where access is severely
limited???

Thanks,

Phil

If you are talking the stainless steel double pipe the ones I have seen are
twist lock so as long as you pry without twisting the lower sections should
stay together.

PM

OK, I'll try not to twist. That would make sense to have them fit that
way.

Not sure of the "official" name, but I'm referring to the wooden
framed box structure that fits around a chimney pipe coming through the
roof to give it a chimney appearance. Mine's about 3' X 5', with
siding on all four sides and trimmed out with 1X4s around the top and
corners, a heavy steel plate fitted over the top with a chimney cap on
top.

Thanks for the inputs.

Phil

Dr. Hardcrab

"PM" wrote

Not sure of the "official" name, but I'm referring to the wooden
framed box structure that fits around a chimney pipe coming through the
roof to give it a chimney appearance. Mine's about 3' X 5', with
siding on all four sides and trimmed out with 1X4s around the top and
corners, a heavy steel plate fitted over the top with a chimney cap on
top.

Gotcha.

I have no idea what the proper name for it is. I may BE "chimney box".

Just say "That part of the house that surronds the chimney"

;-]

Robertm

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"PM" wrote

Not sure of the "official" name, but I'm referring to the wooden
framed box structure that fits around a chimney pipe coming through the
roof to give it a chimney appearance. Mine's about 3' X 5', with
siding on all four sides and trimmed out with 1X4s around the top and
corners, a heavy steel plate fitted over the top with a chimney cap on
top.

Gotcha.

I have no idea what the proper name for it is. I may BE "chimney box".

Just say "That part of the house that surronds the chimney"

;-]

Chimney Chase?

Bob

Dr. Hardcrab

"Robertm" wrote in message

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"PM" wrote

Not sure of the "official" name, but I'm referring to the wooden
framed box structure that fits around a chimney pipe coming through the
roof to give it a chimney appearance. Mine's about 3' X 5', with
siding on all four sides and trimmed out with 1X4s around the top and
corners, a heavy steel plate fitted over the top with a chimney cap on
top.

Gotcha.

I have no idea what the proper name for it is. I may BE "chimney box".

Just say "That part of the house that surronds the chimney"

;-]

Chimney Chase?

Ya know: I think that IS what it's called. I have a real masonary chimney on
the house I'm in now, but on my last house (where I had an oil-fired
furnace), it was just double-walled "all fuel" pipe through the roof and
then (for looks) a metal box painted with bricks to LOOK like a brick
chimney.