Michael Ray

Default Repair or remove chimney?

Our chimney has deteriorated quite a bit over the years (we've been here
only 10 years - house was built 1915). It appears a few decades ago
somebody put a coat of mortar over the whole exterior and painted it
with a silver colored substance. That has since cracked and pieces have
chipped off over the years (I've found several chunks in the yard while
mowing). 3 years ago we had a new furnace put in that required a sleeve
and they installed a galvanized sheet metal cap over the chimney, which
comes down the sides about 4-6". It has never leaked since we've been
here.

My thinking is I need to have the chimney fixed up prior to the roof
being redone so no damage is done to the new roof. I was thinking maybe I
could get by with either having it rebuilt from roof level up or
preferably to just remove the chimney to below roof level (it is in the
middle of the house) so only the metal sleeve comes out of
the roof (for the furnace/water heater, no fireplace). I assume that
is all they do when a new gas furnace is installed when no chimney
exists. Is that practical?

Thanks,
Michael
Colbyt

"Michael Ray" wrote in message
My thinking is I need to have the chimney fixed up prior to the roof
being redone so no damage is done to the new roof. I was thinking maybe I
could get by with either having it rebuilt from roof level up or
preferably to just remove the chimney to below roof level (it is in the
middle of the house) so only the metal sleeve comes out of
the roof (for the furnace/water heater, no fireplace). I assume that
is all they do when a new gas furnace is installed when no chimney
exists. Is that practical?

If the only purpose for the chimney is the furnace/water heater, I would
seriously consider the "sleeve concept. This assumes there are no appearance
reasons for keeping it.

The potential problem that I see from your description is that the current
metal sleeve is that it MAY only vent the furnace. If both are vented into
the sleeve go for it and save about 1K$.

Depending on your location you might need to convert the existing sleeve to
double-wall pipe to be "code compliant".

Colbyt

Agreed.
TB

Michael Ray

"Colbyt" wrote in
:

The potential problem that I see from your description is that the
current metal sleeve is that it MAY only vent the furnace. If both
are vented into the sleeve go for it and save about 1K$.

OK. They Y into the same flue at the base of the chimney.

Depending on your location you might need to convert the existing
sleeve to double-wall pipe to be "code compliant".

I believe it already is since it was put in with our 80% furnace 4 years
ago.

Sounds like I'll be removing the chimney top while they rip off the roof.
Woohoo! I love tearing things down.