Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
PM

Default Chimney box repair

Planning on replacing the rotted wood trim on my chimney box (replaced
the siding about three years ago with Hardy board cement siding). I'll
need to pull the chimney cap and top plate to access the upper trim
work (Didn't have to do this a few years ago).

I can see how the cap comes off as it looks like I just pry open the
banded clamp at the base and lift off. Top plate looks like it just
lifts off the stove-pipe, as well.

Question: Are these stovepipes usually a single unit from the
fireplace to the chimney cap? Guess what I'm asking is . . what's the
probability of the pipe inadvertantly coming apart somewhere in the
middle, or worse yet at the fireplace, where access is severely
limited???

Thanks,

Phil