Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Chimney - is repair possible?

On Apr 8, 4:52*pm, "TomR" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 8, 8:49 am, "TomR" wrote:

Thanks, but changing to a different heating system that does not need a
chimney is not an option in this case. This is a side-by-side twin home --
I own one side and my neighbor owns the other side. Each side has a
gas-fired steam radiator heating system for heat and a gas-fired hot water

I think with steam it's impossible to get a direct vent
system and also impossible to get really high efficiency.

+++++++++

I think that's correct, or at least that is what I have heard from anyone I
know.

. . . My side is rented out and my neighbor's side is
owner-occupied. I will probably be paying for the entire chimney repair or
replacement even though it is for both homes.

One option would be to replace
the chimney with one built from framing and covered
with siding. *That should be a lot less expensive than
going with brick.

+++++++++

I would certainly consider that, but I would have to find out how that is
done.

I was also thinking, "Doesn't anyone make a light weight prefab/pre-made
chimney unit that people could buy and use for replacing above-the-roof
chimneys?"

One can buy concrete sectional chimneys but they look pretty awful.
You will likely find that the inside of the existing chimney is worse
than the outside.
Apart from falling down, you can get poisonous combustion gases
leaking into the building with a chimney in that state.