Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener

My Genie is 10 years old. The original price installed was $280. For
the past three years I have had to have someone come out and "fix" it
- about $100 each trip. It's started acting up again - when I open
it, the door goes up and the motor keeps running. I have to hit the
button again to make it stop. I am seriously thinking ab out getting
a new one. The one I have now is a "screw" type -- I don't see that
listed online. My neighbors both have chain drives and they have not
had any problems with them -- both have Craftsman. The man who works
on mine does not install them anymore but gave me the name and number
of a company that he says does good work and has good prices....I
haven't called yet. He recommended Chamberlain's Lift Masters - said
it had a good Consumer Report review. Before I go shopping -- is
there anything I should be careful about? My late husband always did
the shopping for this before and I am not very knowledgeable about
it. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2012 1:37 PM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

We put a Chamberlain screw drive in a remodeled garage several years
ago. I don't remember how it know when to shut off, but the reason we
used a screw drive was there was not enough ceiling space for a chain
drive unit.

Be sure you have space for a Stanley before taking the screw drive out.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:37:51 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

[...]

I'm biased about brands of openers. I've had many over the years.

Check your local Lowes / Home Depot to see if they carry Martin Garage
Doors. ( should be national now)

When you buy a door / opener, the store sends a fax to Martin
warehouse. All their installers are certified by the company ... not
some handy dandy guy from the street.

These are the best doors and openers that I've seen, ever.

American made.... Read more here and look are the openers.

http://www.martindoor.com/Garage-Doors-Openers/Garage-Door-Openers.aspx

(play the sound comparison)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think I'd call the guy who used to fix it for you and ask him the
secret of fixing it. It's probably some sort of "stop" that triggers
the motor to turn off. Is it inside the box? I doubt it. Is it near
the rail. Probably. What does he do to fix it? Since he's not
doing this anymore, he may well be willing and able to tell you.

But the price you have to pay is not to whine or complain or even make
referrence when he makes it sound simple and yet you've been paying
100 dollars. You were paying for his training and experience, not his
time. If you whine, etc, he won't tell the next person who asks.

Try to be on a portable phone, with a good flashlight, when you call
him so you can look at what he's talking about. Who will actually
fix it after you know how, I don't konw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:37:51 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

My Genie is 10 years old.

But if it's easy to do, you'll be able to do it or get it done for
years to come without buying a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
My opener is Genie Blue Max screw type. Installed when house was built
in '96 and till going strong. Take a look at the limit switches. There
are two of them mounted on the drive rail with one set screw. I replaced
them both once because contact reeds were getting tired.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are replying to the OP, not something I typed that was snipped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 3:37*pm, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Don't you have any handyy neighbors who can get up on a step ladder
and look to see if some sort of a switch is not working. In our
neighborhood, there are two of us who fix things for about 10
neighbors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My Genie is 10 years old.

But if it's easy to do, you'll be able to do it or get it done for
years to come without buying a new one.

Hi,
Our opener is also Genie Blue Max screw drive type installed in '96.
It still works 100%. Sounds like limit switch(s) is worn out. They are a
few dollars each on eBay. There are to mounted on the drive rail held
by one set screw with one wire connection. To replace them, need a step
ladder, a screw driver, needle nose plier. Door keeps trying to go up
because limit switch did not make a contact or spring on the switch is
broke. Two switches are identical. Just replace them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The man who works
on mine does not install them anymore but gave me the name and number
of a company that he says does good work and has good prices....I
haven't called yet. He recommended Chamberlain's Lift Masters - said
it had a good Consumer Report review. Before I go shopping -- is
there anything I should be careful about? My late husband always did
the shopping for this before and I am not very knowledgeable about
it. Thanks.

I have the Chamberlain now also, chain drive. It has been reliable,
but it is only two years old. They are a good brand.

Be sure it is powerful enough for your door if it is a large one. In
general, the bigger the better. Some have extra features such as the
ability to turn on the light and not open the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SG SG is offline

wrote:

The man who works
on mine does not install them anymore but gave me the name and number
of a company that he says does good work and has good prices....I
haven't called yet. He recommended Chamberlain's Lift Masters - said
it had a good Consumer Report review. Before I go shopping -- is
there anything I should be careful about? My late husband always did
the shopping for this before and I am not very knowledgeable about
it. Thanks.

I have the Chamberlain now also, chain drive. It has been reliable,
but it is only two years old. They are a good brand.

Be sure it is powerful enough for your door if it is a large one. In
general, the bigger the better. Some have extra features such as the
ability to turn on the light and not open the door.

Powerful enough? I was always led to believe that the springs do all
the work when set properly, the opener is just a convenience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've got a genie that was installed in 1973 and it's still working.
All it's needed has been a $13 engagement tooth insert for the sliding
shoe. Another house has two - a Genie installed in 1988 and it's
never needed anything replaced and a Genie Excellerator installed in
1990 that's never missed a beat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 22:16:42 -0500, SG wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Be sure it is powerful enough for your door if it is a large one. In
general, the bigger the better. Some have extra features such as the
ability to turn on the light and not open the door.

Powerful enough? I was always led to believe that the springs do all
the work when set properly, the opener is just a convenience.

In a perfect world, yes. I suggest you travel your town and lift some
of the doors that have no opener and see if that is true. Especially
some of the double doors.

In theory, a 6 year old girl can lift them with one hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

You don't need a new opener. Your device is out of adjustment.

Get the model number. Look up the users/installation guide on the internet.

You'll find that there is an adjustable "limit switch" that governs door
travel, both up and down. Usually these limit switches are adjusted via a
screw you access through a hole in the case.

Stand on a box or a ladder, and, armed with your remote and a screwdriver,
adjust the screw until the door stops where you want it. Specifically:

1. Turn the screw one turn in the direction specified by the user's guide.
2. Activate the remote.
3. Did the door stop where you want it to?
4. If no, repeat steps 1 - 3. If yes, you're done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2012 4:37 PM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Your opener is not broken, it is out of adjustment or the upward limit
sensor mounted on the rail is not functioning properly. If you are
physically able to work safely on a step ladder, you can probably do at
least some of the troubleshooting and probably the repair yourself.
First thing you need is the owner's manual for your model. If you can't
locate it, the model # will be on the unit. Go on line and you'll
probably find it freely available for download (Genie is a very popular
brand for a good reason - it's a high quality product). Follow the
instructions for setting the up and down limits. Look for a lot of gunk
and/or a loose or broken wire that is attached to the upward limit
sensor on the rail. You didn't say if all 3 episodes of malfunction are
identical. If they are, and you believe you need a repairman, find a
different one - regardless of the problem, it should not recur after
only 1 year. Finally, if you do replace the unit, don't substitute a
chain drive for a screw drive unit. The screw drives stay in adjustment
better, are more durable and are quieter - that's why they are more
expensive than chain units with otherwise identical specifications. I
have one of each in my 2 car garage (each with a single door). I'd
never go back to a chain drive opener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

the very cheapest and smallest opener will open the heaviest double wide
door if it is balanced like it should be anyway. More powerful openers
are a waste of money and a scam.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:57:04 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

Powerful enough? I was always led to believe that the springs do all the
work when set properly, the opener is just a convenience.

the very cheapest and smallest opener will open the heaviest double wide
door if it is balanced like it should be anyway. More powerful openers
are a waste of money and a scam.

If we went randomly to 10 garages or 100 garages or 1000 garages, how
many do you think are balanced properly? I'm not much of a gambler,
but I'd bet $100 a door on any number of doors you want.