Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener

A contractor just installed a new Sears opener yesterday, and I just noticed
a persistent low volume buzzing sound coming from the unit. This is one of
three I have. The other two and the old one have never done this. Any
ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:00:50 -0400, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:

A contractor just installed a new Sears opener yesterday, and I just noticed
a persistent low volume buzzing sound coming from the unit. This is one of
three I have. The other two and the old one have never done this. Any
ideas?

Your limits may not be set right. jesse
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
A contractor just installed a new Sears opener yesterday, and I just noticed
a persistent low volume buzzing sound coming from the unit. This is one of
three I have. The other two and the old one have never done this. Any
ideas?

Hi,
When motor is in motion or?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
A contractor just installed a new Sears opener yesterday, and I just
noticed a persistent low volume buzzing sound coming from the unit. This
is one of three I have. The other two and the old one have never done
this. Any ideas?

Hi,
When motor is in motion or?

All the time. When the door is fully closed, fully opened, or in motion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

A contractor just installed a new Sears opener yesterday, and I just
noticed a persistent low volume buzzing sound coming from the unit. This
is one of three I have. The other two and the old one have never done
this. Any ideas?

Hi,
When motor is in motion or?

All the time. When the door is fully closed, fully opened, or in motion.

Probably coming from the power transformer which may have not been
varnish impregnated or otherwise treated to prevent its parts from
"rattling" slightly under the influence of the ac magnetic fields within it.

If you know what a transformer looks like, remove the opener's cover and
with the power connected use an insulated rod, like maybe a popsicle
stick, to gently press against different locations on and near the power
transformer and see if you can make the buzzing cease.

If you can make it stop, then disconnect power from the unit and try
smearing some 5 minute epoxy on the parts which you found "rattling" and
could silence by pressing on them. That will probably do the trick.

You may also find when prodding around with the insulated stick that
it's just a loose fastener near the transformer allowing something to
vibrate against someting else.

Good luck,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
A contractor just installed a new Sears opener yesterday, and I just
noticed a persistent low volume buzzing sound coming from the unit. This
is one of three I have. The other two and the old one have never done
this. Any ideas?

Ask the contractor to come back and correct it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds very reasonable. However, I paid Sears to have it professionally
installed, and it is under warranty, so I'm now having them come to do this.
I'm guessing your diagnosis is correct, but I'll let them come back and do
this.