Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener

My garage door opener has decided to act weird. For some reason,
it won't close. Keeps reversing itself right away. Works fine going up
and will close if I keep pushing the button all the way down. I looked
at the usual suspects (something tripping the electric eye, something
getting caught so it thinks it is obstructed) and found no likely
concerns.
The person who originally put the garage door and opener in (two
owners ago) did not put in the opener reinforcement kit, which I just
completed doing when the problem came up. Anything that maybe I could
adjust? Could it be the new angle of the arm that connects the door to
the opener is causing some sort of problem?
Suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

With most garage door openers, if it hits an obstruction (or THINKS it
hit an obstruction) and goes back up, the inside light flashes on and
off for a few minutes. Does this happen? That could be a clue to what's
going on....

B.S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
My garage door opener has decided to act weird. For some reason,
it won't close. Keeps reversing itself right away. Works fine going up
and will close if I keep pushing the button all the way down. I looked
at the usual suspects (something tripping the electric eye, something
getting caught so it thinks it is obstructed) and found no likely
concerns.
The person who originally put the garage door and opener in (two
owners ago) did not put in the opener reinforcement kit, which I just
completed doing when the problem came up. Anything that maybe I could
adjust? Could it be the new angle of the arm that connects the door to
the opener is causing some sort of problem?
Suggestions.

Might help to give the brand and model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The person who originally put the garage door and opener in (two
owners ago) did not put in the opener reinforcement kit, which I just
completed doing when the problem came up. Anything that maybe I could
adjust? Could it be the new angle of the arm that connects the door to
the opener is causing some sort of problem?
Suggestions. "

It's gonna be hard to diagnose this without seeing it. For one, it's
unclear exactly what the "opener reinforcement kit" is that you just
installed. But obviously that changed something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Stubby wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

"The person who originally put the garage door and opener in (two
owners ago) did not put in the opener reinforcement kit, which I just
completed doing when the problem came up. Anything that maybe I could
adjust? Could it be the new angle of the arm that connects the door to
the opener is causing some sort of problem?
Suggestions. "

It's gonna be hard to diagnose this without seeing it. For one, it's
unclear exactly what the "opener reinforcement kit" is that you just
installed. But obviously that changed something.
It was a kit that had a much heavier piece of metal (the "standard
issue" was tin foil-G)that was bolted on between the top crosspiece and
the top two screws of the first hinge on the top panel.

Heavy enough to require tightening the springs a bit?

I wouldn't think so. It wasn't more than 1 lb if that. Just a
real (as opposed to aluminium) steel flange about foot tall and maybe 5
inches across. Would that cause the automatic door opener to "stutter"?
Rolled up and down by hand with no discernable difference.

It might. Maybe a different angle needed to push it.
Will the opener go though the closing cycle when not hooked to the door?
Unhook and close the door. Then operate the opener.

What brand is the opener? Do you have the owners manual? Does it
have independent adjustments for closing and opening?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Rich256 wrote:

It might. Maybe a different angle needed to push it.
Will the opener go though the closing cycle when not hooked to the door?
Unhook and close the door. Then operate the opener.

Worked fine by itself.

What brand is the opener? Do you have the owners manual? Does it
have independent adjustments for closing and opening?

I am not currently at home and won't be for a day or two. Can't
remember right off, except it was nothin' I had ever heard of. The
owner's manual is long gone. It does have independent adjustments. The
closing (down) was just short of the top number (9 and the label
underneath said kg.).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have the light sensors at the bottom of the door to stop it if a
child or other object blocks the light. That will do exactly what you
decribe. it will go up but not down. Maybe the sensor has been blocked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"irish" wrote:

Do you have the light sensors at the bottom of the door to stop it if a
child or other object blocks the light. That will do exactly what you
decribe. it will go up but not down. Maybe the sensor has been blocked.

Second thing I checked. The closest thing to the sensor is more than 2
feet away. Is it possible that maybe one side or the other got knocked
out of kilter so the light isn't getting to the sensor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article . com,
"irish" wrote:

Do you have the light sensors at the bottom of the door to stop it if a
child or other object blocks the light. That will do exactly what you
decribe. it will go up but not down. Maybe the sensor has been blocked.

Second thing I checked. The closest thing to the sensor is more than 2
feet away. Is it possible that maybe one side or the other got knocked
out of kilter so the light isn't getting to the sensor?

I doubt that would affect it one way only. However, watch the lights on
the sensors to see if they flicker when closing and not opening. Can be
just alignment. Maybe the frame shakes a bit when closing.

I had a Chamberlain that did something similar but it most likely was in
both directions. I decided it was the rpm sensor control board. A
little board that fastened at the rear of the motor shaft with an LED
and a slotted cup. I took a chance and bought one and that fixed the
problem. It was obviously better built than the original.

If it happens to be a Chamberlain they have a pretty good web site with
downloadable manuals:

http://www.chamberlain-diy.com/diy04/home/