Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jeff Gaiche

Default Sears (Chamberlain) Garage Door Opener Randomly Opening

I am having a problem with my garage door opener opening randomly that
is driving me crazy. I have a sears 139.53615SR (chamberlain 700whc i
believe) opener. It has recently started opening all by itself.
About 2 months ago...i bought a keyless entry for my house which
contained a keychain remote. The keychain remote had a button for the
garage door..so..i pressed the "learn" key on the opener to see if it
would operate it...and...it did. Well...a few weeks later...my door
starts opening by itself...related ?....Im starting to believe so.
On newer Sears (Chamberlain) models...the manuals say to press and
hold the "learn" button for 6 seconds or so...and the little red light
will go off...indicating that all stored codes have been erased...
With my model...it doesnt matter how long you hold the "learn"
button...the light will not go off.

So...Im thinking that since this new keyless house remote does not
have any switches to flip to change the code...maybe a neighbor has
one and is opening my door. I changed the settings on my garage door
remotes....and reprogrammed the garage door opener. The odd
thing...is that my keychain remote...which shouldnt still be
working...will still open the door. I looked at some newer model
garage door openers by the same maker...and some of them said they
would store up to 6 codes...so...ive reset the garage door openers at
least that many times...and...reprogrammed the unit with them each
time...and...the keychain still opens it up. I really dont believe
that this model will hold six codes...because...both garage door
openers have to be set the same. I can't have different switch
settings in each remote and get them to both work by programming each
one seperately...only the last one programmed will work.

Sorry for being so long worded on this...i just wanted to be sure i
conveyed all that I have gone thru trying to fix this issue. Im
curious to hear any thoughts on my problem...does this seem to be a
programming problem ?...not being able to remove the keychain remote
for some odd reason...or...possibly a defect in the opener which is
causing it to open from someone elses remote ?

I sure appreciate any thoughts anyone else may have !

Thanks -- Jeff Gaiche
Doordoc

(Jeff Gaiche) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Jeff,

You have trinaty switch transmitters w/ learn button receiver. This
board will only accept one trinary code, but as long as you code all
the transmitters the same there is no limit on how many transmitters
you can have. If you program in a transmiitter w/ a different trinary
code it will automatically erase the other transmitter, but the
transmitters will never erase the keyless code. The board will also
accept only one permanent keyless code. Therefore by programming a new
keyless code into the unit, this will erase the other keyless code.

However the board will accept (6) billion code transmitters that are
preprogrammed from the factory & the transmitters do not have any code
switches. So if you tried to program a 7th billion code transmitter in
it will automatically erase the the transmitter that was programmed
1st, but will leave the other 5 in the memory. The keyless code works
the same.

To erase all memory you do hold the "smart" button until the LED light
goes out.
Since yours will not go out, unplug the unit for 15-20 seconds & then
plug the unit back in & try to erase the memory again. If the LED
light still will not go out the logic board is defective & probably
will need to be replaced to erase all the memory. I do not believe
programming in the keyless had anything to do w/ your problem.

It could be a neighbor opening the door, but then it could also be a
sticking button on one of the transmitters or a short in the wall
button wiring or button. If it only opens by itself when a particular
vehicle is there, take the battery out of that transmitter to see if
the problem disappears. If it opens by itself when none of the
transmitters are there disconnect the wall button wire at the motor
head. Then if it still openes by itself the problem would be from an
outside source, if it doesn't the problem is in the wall button wiring
or the button itself. It's a process of elimination, but as an
educated guess I think that a neighbor opening the door is the least
likely possibility.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com