Duane

Default Sears Craftman garage door opener won't close anymore

I'm having a problem with my Sears Craftsman garage door opener.
For some reason, the garage door won't close anymore. (Now it's only
a garage door _opener_). Neither the switch in the garage nor the
remote keypad will close it.

The light on the opener works. If I put something in front of the
safety sensor, the opener light blinks, as expected, so I do't think
it is a problem with the safety transmitter or sensor.

There is a yellow LED on the opener that blinks 5 times, pauses, then
blinks 5 times again, repeatedly. This looks suspicious, but I don't
know what it means.

The opener is a model 139.53674SRT1. It is a 1/2 hp Craftsman opener
with belt drive and an outside keypad.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Duane
Tweetldee

"Duane" wrote in message
om...
I'm having a problem with my Sears Craftsman garage door opener.
For some reason, the garage door won't close anymore. (Now it's only
a garage door _opener_). Neither the switch in the garage nor the
remote keypad will close it.

The light on the opener works. If I put something in front of the
safety sensor, the opener light blinks, as expected, so I do't think
it is a problem with the safety transmitter or sensor.

There is a yellow LED on the opener that blinks 5 times, pauses, then
blinks 5 times again, repeatedly. This looks suspicious, but I don't
know what it means.

The opener is a model 139.53674SRT1. It is a 1/2 hp Craftsman opener
with belt drive and an outside keypad.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Duane

I have a Genie garage door opener that went crazy after a thunder storm blew
through my area a couple years ago. It refused to operate from any of the
remotes, the wall switch, or the keypad. After spending some time
troubleshooting, and finding nothing conclusive, I unplugged the main unit
from the power socket, and started to disassemble the unit. I found that
task to be very cumbersome, considering the location and summertime heat.
Frustrated, I put everything back together and on a hunch, I plugged it back
in and tried a remote. Dang thing worked!!!! Apparently, the electronics
had latched up and weren't responding to any controls.

The moral of this somewhat winded story is... try cycling power to the
unit. Unplug it from the power socket or flip its circuit breaker off for a
minute or so, then turn it back on. If you're lucky, as I was, it will work
again. If not, time to call a repair person. The flashing LED is probably
an indication of a failure of some sort. Read your owner's manual and see
if there's any troubleshooting info in there. Sears manuals are usually
pretty good about putting rudimentary troubleshooting info in the manuals,
and you may find what you need to restore the opener.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

Ray

Check the alignment of the infrared sensors on either side of the door. Are
both lights on? If not, probably out out of alignment or one has gone
defective or broken wire. When you try to close door, with a sensor
problem, the light will flash a series of blinks, but won't close. You get
the same effect if sensor beam is brokem when closing door.
"Tweetldee" wrote in message
om...