Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Garage Door Opener

My Genie is 10 years old. The original price installed was $280. For
the past three years I have had to have someone come out and "fix" it
- about $100 each trip. It's started acting up again - when I open
it, the door goes up and the motor keeps running. I have to hit the
button again to make it stop. I am seriously thinking ab out getting
a new one. The one I have now is a "screw" type -- I don't see that
listed online. My neighbors both have chain drives and they have not
had any problems with them -- both have Craftsman. The man who works
on mine does not install them anymore but gave me the name and number
of a company that he says does good work and has good prices....I
haven't called yet. He recommended Chamberlain's Lift Masters - said
it had a good Consumer Report review. Before I go shopping -- is
there anything I should be careful about? My late husband always did
the shopping for this before and I am not very knowledgeable about
it. Thanks.