Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I got a problem:(

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

Hi,
Where are you located? You have rat? None here, only mice. Province of
Alberta is officially rat free since '60s. We killed them all. We have
official rat patrol costing millions a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2012 1:03 AM, bob haller wrote:

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

got a .22 ?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:03:07 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

I think most people have had mice in the house, especially rural people,
but if I had a rat in the house, I'd be sleeping at a friends house, or
in my car, or anywhere but in that house. Rats are disgusting, not to
mention they can bite and carry diseases. Set traps, provide poison, or
just call an exterminator. In all honesty, I'd rather have a wolf or
bear in the house than a goddamn rat. I absolutely hate rats.

And maybe the right dog (like a rat terrier) will kill a rat, but cats
wont touch them. They just eat mice.

PS. If you use poison, please keep your dog outdoors or somewhere else.
Dogs and cats will eat the poison too.

Oh yea, there must be a hole for the rats to come in, find it, and nail
tin over it.

Good luck.... you need it!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 12, 2012 6:51:31 AM UTC, Tony Hwang wrote:
bob haller wrote:

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

Hi,
Where are you located? You have rat? None here, only mice. Province of
Alberta is officially rat free since '60s. We killed them all. We have
official rat patrol costing millions a year.

Why do you need a rat patrol if you have no rats?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 12, 2012 6:03:07 AM UTC, bob haller wrote:
I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

We have a rat problem from time to time.
It's caused by theses damned horse owners scattering food about the place I believe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

The first thing Billy the Exterminator will tell you is to put away
the dog food.

If you saw one, there are probably others. I'd have a half dozen
traps set around.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

Why do you need a rat patrol if you have no rats?

For the same reason we have prisons even though the crime rate is down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

Like others have said, remove any foods from the floor, draws, shelves
that are open or easy to chew thru. Set several traps in out of
sight places (less lit) and maybe do some poison (???). I hesitate
on the poison tho because you don't want them to die inside the house
especially in the wall or attic due to the lingering smell. I think
there are poisons that take a while to work and maybe these are the
kind you want. On the otherhand, the traps may be good enough. We
once had a baby rat in our finished basement (funny story to this but
I won't go into it) and we left several traps on some hidden shelfs)
and we had left for that weekend (normal plans) and when we came home
that weekend, sure enough one trap had one dead baby rat. We lived
in a 4 plex and apparently the baby rat came thru the top of the
concrete wall so we plugged that hole with steel wool. They don't
chew thru steel wool so problem went away. At the time we lived
about 4 or 5 houses away from a diner and I know they had rats in the
back where the dumpsters were kept (NYC).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

rats are near sighted, follow their paths they've scented, usually
along walls etc

to find paths use a black light, the urine stains glow.

A rat exterminator once bragged to me that he caught rats all the time
using snap traps WITHOUT bait, just by knowing where to put them and
leaned them up against the walls, so the critters would 'bump' into
them.

Heard that food production facilities that are NOT allowed to use
poisons routinely place bowls of coca cola out for the rats, Since
rats have no belching mechanism, they die from CO2 rupturing their
insides. So, in the morning the food producer employees would simply
go around and scoop up the dead rats gathered around the soda bowls.
haven't verified, but makes a great story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 11:03*pm, bob haller wrote:
I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

Victor traps, new each use, peanut butter, out of pet reach. Use 2,
3, or even 4 plastic shopping bags to discard.Don't forget, as the
temperature of the rat's body drops, fleas abandon, and yep into your
dog....and you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not verified here, either.
http://www.maricopa.gov/EnvSvc/Vecto...revention.aspx
Great story, I agree.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Heard that food production facilities that are NOT allowed to use
poisons routinely place bowls of coca cola out for the rats, Since
rats have no belching mechanism, they die from CO2 rupturing their
insides. So, in the morning the food producer employees would simply
go around and scoop up the dead rats gathered around the soda bowls.
haven't verified, but makes a great story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You know ants won't touch Diet Coke because it contains no sugar but I
had a Coca-Cola delivery truck driver tell me that rats love the diet
soft drink. I suppose the company must have tested it on rats. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

I had two in the house once. I used rat poison, which works by
causing them to lose the ability to regulate their body heat. So they
seek out warm places and die. Like behind the furnace and over the
firebox in the fireplace. I had to knock 2 bricks out of the mantel.
Don't use poison inside.

More recently I had another one. This time I used a Safer trap baited
with peanut butter and oatmeal. It took 2 nights, but I got him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2012 8:35 AM, Robert Macy wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:03 pm, bob wrote:
I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

Victor traps, new each use, peanut butter, out of pet reach. Use 2,
3, or even 4 plastic shopping bags to discard.Don't forget, as the
temperature of the rat's body drops, fleas abandon, and yep into your
dog....and you.

I once tried to get rid of pests in a warehouse/office I had and the
rats/mice ate the ant bait and the ants ate the peanut butter off the
rat/mouse traps. The funniest thing you will ever see is a mouse caught
in a rat trap, the look on the lifeless face of the mouse is frozen in
a horrible grimace because the bar of the big trap has crushed the
little rodent's ass. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jjl0bk$h39$1
@dont-email.me:

You know ants won't touch Diet Coke because it contains no sugar but I
had a Coca-Cola delivery truck driver tell me that rats love the diet
soft drink. I suppose the company must have tested it on rats. ^_^

Rodents also love the taste of warfarin/coumadin, the main active
ingredient in rat poison. Because it makes them bleed into their lungs,
they run outside to gasp for air and die (I'm told). Of course, warfarin
is the main medication against thrombosis via its inhibition of blood
clotting.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

The OP did not say how many rat traps he had set.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2012 9:48 AM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in news:jjl0bk$h39$1
@dont-email.me:

You know ants won't touch Diet Coke because it contains no sugar but I
had a Coca-Cola delivery truck driver tell me that rats love the diet
soft drink. I suppose the company must have tested it on rats. ^_^

Rodents also love the taste of warfarin/coumadin, the main active
ingredient in rat poison. Because it makes them bleed into their lungs,
they run outside to gasp for air and die (I'm told). Of course, warfarin
is the main medication against thrombosis via its inhibition of blood
clotting.

It's amazing how many poisons are used in medicine. Botox is one that
comes to mind. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 3/12/2012 9:48 AM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in
news:jjl0bk$h39$1 @dont-email.me:

You know ants won't touch Diet Coke because it contains no sugar but
I had a Coca-Cola delivery truck driver tell me that rats love the
diet soft drink. I suppose the company must have tested it on rats.
^_^

Rodents also love the taste of warfarin/coumadin, the main active
ingredient in rat poison. Because it makes them bleed into their
lungs, they run outside to gasp for air and die (I'm told). Of
course, warfarin is the main medication against thrombosis via its
inhibition of blood clotting.

It's amazing how many poisons are used in medicine. Botox is one that
comes to mind. o_O

TDD

Yes, it's the dose that does it. A little salt is flavoring, a lot and
you're pickled ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 11:03 pm, bob haller wrote:
I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the

- kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

Victor traps, new each use, peanut butter, out of pet reach. Use 2,
3, or even 4 plastic shopping bags to discard.Don't forget, as the
temperature of the rat's body drops, fleas abandon, and yep into your
dog....and you.

Very good points. I would bait the traps with whatever they're eating now,
like the dog food. That means keeping the dog out of the areas where the
traps are set (duh!) and monitoring them often to try to mitigate the flea
hopping problem. I used my X-10 motion detector to alert me when the
squirrel that was loose entered the Hav-a-hart trap. Not sure if rats will
trigger it although I know that birds do. They constantly fly in and out of
the trap when it's outside, eating all the peanut butter.

Collecting the dead rats when they're warm is the only way to avoid the flea
issue. I would never use poison on anything larger than a mouse in a home
setting. They'll stink God-awful bad if they crawl into some inaccessible
cavity to die. Set the traps along the walls where you suspect rat
activity. Pellets should be easy to see if the problem is more than one or
two rats. Black light may or may not reveal urine stains. Lots of
different types of UV lights, not all of them are right for the job.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 06:33:07 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

rats are near sighted, follow their paths they've scented, usually
along walls etc

to find paths use a black light, the urine stains glow.

A rat exterminator once bragged to me that he caught rats all the time
using snap traps WITHOUT bait, just by knowing where to put them and
leaned them up against the walls, so the critters would 'bump' into
them.

Heard that food production facilities that are NOT allowed to use
poisons routinely place bowls of coca cola out for the rats, Since
rats have no belching mechanism, they die from CO2 rupturing their
insides. So, in the morning the food producer employees would simply
go around and scoop up the dead rats gathered around the soda bowls.
haven't verified, but makes a great story.

Here's a method used on farms. Place a 5 gallon bucket half filled with
water, where the rats run along the walls. Float some whole oats on top
of the water. Put a ramp such as a piece of 2x4 to the top of the pail
and secure it so it dont fall off (a couple nails that go into the pail
should do). The rat will go up the board, and jump in to get the oats.
Then it drowns. This does work. Rats often drown in livestock watering
tanks on farms. The oats (or any other feed that will float),
encourages them to enter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:03:07 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

stuff snipped

First thing is figure out how they are getting in. In our case it was
a soffit screen. Plug up all the holes. Then TRAP them out, don't use
poison.

Very good points.

I have had decent luck with glue traps but the most effective was this
live trap. I had exactly zero luck with the big Victor traps. They
either got the bait without tripping the trap or they tripped it and
still got away.

I wonder why? I've seen the Victors do plenty of killing. The bait has to
be hard enough to remove that they're sure to stand on the trap and activate
the trigger. In the OP's case I would suggest (if it's dry) dog food
"glued" on with peanut butter. I've got a whole bunch of video of mice
robbing Victor traps of nuts by speed diving. They would go flying at the
bait and be gone before it snapped. It's very impressive footage. Once I
started gluing the pistachio nuts down with PB, the kill rate neared 100%.

A while back I found a box in the basement that was filled with chewed paper
scraps and pistachio nut shells with the ends neatly gnawed off. Apparently
that was their den. They were coming up from the basement along the kitchen
pipes, which had a narrow gap between the pipe and the hole for it.

http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/rattus%20rattus.jpg

We had roof rats, not the bigger Norways and they can go anywhere a
squirrel can go, maybe even places a squirrel can't go.
If you are out in the country fleas and mites are probably a worse
problem than disease. Squirrels and rats are about the same thing.

Squirrel have cute fluffy tails to fool everyone into thinking they're not
rodents.

Inside your house, the idea of keeping food away from them is useless.
They will find something to eat if they have to chew a hole in a
cabinet and eat into a box. You have to tighten up the perimeter and
keep them out.

You also have to make sure when you find the opening that you hose/clean it
down thoroughly. Otherwise, they'll simply follow the old pellet/urine
trail to the closed-up opening and look for another one or just chew their
way in again.

A rat is far more likely to chew a hole to get out than to get in tho.

Sometimes you can figure out where they're getting in by backtracking the
urine/pellet trails. I've seen people spread talcum powder around suspect
areas to help see the rat paw prints.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jjl0bk$h39$1
@dont-email.me:

You know ants won't touch Diet Coke because it contains no sugar but I
had a Coca-Cola delivery truck driver tell me that rats love the diet
soft drink. I suppose the company must have tested it on rats. ^_^

Rodents also love the taste of warfarin/coumadin, the main active
ingredient in rat poison. Because it makes them bleed into their lungs,
they run outside to gasp for air and die (I'm told).

If you're lucky they die outside. If you're unlucky, you learn how stinky
even one rat carcass can be as it decomposes inside your walls or some other
easy to smell, hard to find location. It's best used for mice because they
stink a lot less when rotting.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:

It's amazing how many poisons are used in medicine. Botox is one that
comes to mind. o_O

TDD

Yes, it's the dose that does it. A little salt is flavoring, a lot
and you're pickled ...

Not true. Controlled studies (with volunteers from prisons) have been fed up
to 25 grams of salt per day with no adverse effects - excess salt is simply
excreted.

Salt does not CAUSE hypertension, it only exacerbates an existing condition.
Six percent of the population suffers from hypertension and, of those, half
have the kind that's made worse by excessive salt. For the 97% of the
remaining population, enjoy as much salt as you like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
...snipped...
And maybe the right dog (like a rat terrier) will kill a rat, but cats
wont touch them. They just eat mice.

Not true, while some cats won't hunt anything, others can be very good at
killing rats or even larger animals like rabbits and squirrels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
...snipped...
And maybe the right dog (like a rat terrier) will kill a rat, but cats
wont touch them. They just eat mice.

Not necessarily. While some cats won;t hunt anything, others can be be
very good indeed at killing rats or even larger animals like rabbits
and squirrels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food.
Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the
kitchen with the dogs food and water.......

my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on
the sofa perhaps for protection?

I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....

this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else
tonight..........

no this isnt a joke.........

Bob.... Saw this some where. Don.t put the bait on the trap. Hang the bait
ABOVE several set snap rat traps. The rats must walk across the traps to
reach the bait. Presto caught. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

It's amazing how many poisons are used in medicine. Botox is one
that comes to mind. o_O

TDD

Yes, it's the dose that does it. A little salt is flavoring, a lot
and you're pickled ...

Not true. Controlled studies (with volunteers from prisons) have been
fed up to 25 grams of salt per day with no adverse effects - excess
salt is simply excreted.

Salt does not CAUSE hypertension, it only exacerbates an existing
condition. Six percent of the population suffers from hypertension
and, of those, half have the kind that's made worse by excessive salt.
For the 97% of the remaining population, enjoy as much salt as you
like.

Isn't 25 grams less than 1 ounce? I was talking about a lot, like kilos.
I wouldn't want to eat that much ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 06:27:21 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

harry wrote:

Why do you need a rat patrol if you have no rats?

For the same reason we have prisons even though the crime rate is down.

....redundancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

harry wrote:

Why do you need a rat patrol if you have no rats?

For the same reason we have prisons even though the crime rate is down.

...redundancy

A home for soon to be retired Democratic politicians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jjl0bk$h39$1
:

You know ants won't touch Diet Coke because it contains no sugar but I
had a Coca-Cola delivery truck driver tell me that rats love the diet
soft drink. I suppose the company must have tested it on rats. ^_^

Rodents also love the taste of warfarin/coumadin, the main active
ingredient in rat poison. Because it makes them bleed into their lungs,
they run outside to gasp for air and die (I'm told). Of course, warfarin
is the main medication against thrombosis via its inhibition of blood
clotting.

I've had some experience killing rats using the green warfarin blocks.
You don't have to do anything special, just put them where the rats
might go, like, in my case, near the garbage. They eat it alright and
then go outside, maybe for air, I don't know, but they certainly don't
stay indoors. Apparently it's a pretty horrible death (effectively
suffocation) and the reason it works well for rats is that they can't
vomit. It goes down and they can't get it up. That's also the reason
why it's not too dangerous for people and pets who'll vomit if they
ingest any serious amount. Same goes for children although I wouldn't
like to test it on my grand kids. On second thoughts...

In my case the rats got into my garbage room and tore holes in the
black plastic bags which in turn was because I thought I was being
smart when I drilled large (1") holes around the base of my garbage
cans so that the air pressure wouldn't prevent a new bag from hugging
the walls of the can. After ingesting the warfarin the rats (I had
about 4 over a couple of days) left the scene of the crime and died in
the street outside a nearby apartment building from where they
probably came in the first place. The janitor commented to me about
their horrible death but I just pretended ignorance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2012 1:09 PM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

On 3/12/2012 9:48 AM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in
news:jjl0bk$h39$1 @dont-email.me:

You know ants won't touch Diet Coke because it contains no sugar but
I had a Coca-Cola delivery truck driver tell me that rats love the
diet soft drink. I suppose the company must have tested it on rats.
^_^

Rodents also love the taste of warfarin/coumadin, the main active
ingredient in rat poison. Because it makes them bleed into their
lungs, they run outside to gasp for air and die (I'm told). Of
course, warfarin is the main medication against thrombosis via its
inhibition of blood clotting.

It's amazing how many poisons are used in medicine. Botox is one that
comes to mind. o_O

TDD

Yes, it's the dose that does it. A little salt is flavoring, a lot and
you're pickled ...

One of my baby sisters is a nurse and I know at one time she worked in
neonatal intensive care on the little critters. Being a science geek
I've always had an interest in medicine and I remember a story about
physicians using Viagra on a newborn to bring down the infant's blood
pressure, I don't remember if there were other effects but I thought it
was interesting enough for the kid to have something to brag about when
he grows up. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
...snipped...
And maybe the right dog (like a rat terrier) will kill a rat, but
cats wont touch them. They just eat mice.

Not true, while some cats won't hunt anything, others can be very
good at killing rats or even larger animals like rabbits and
squirrels.

Towser (Guiness Book of Records holder) is credited with killing 28,898
mice, SEVERAL RATS, a few rabbits, and a pheasant or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:

Not true. Controlled studies (with volunteers from prisons) have been
fed up to 25 grams of salt per day with no adverse effects - excess
salt is simply excreted.

Salt does not CAUSE hypertension, it only exacerbates an existing
condition. Six percent of the population suffers from hypertension
and, of those, half have the kind that's made worse by excessive
salt. For the 97% of the remaining population, enjoy as much salt as
you like.

Isn't 25 grams less than 1 ounce? I was talking about a lot, like
kilos. I wouldn't want to eat that much ...

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I misunderstood. I often try to debunk the FDA's hysteria
that anything over 1 gram (based on NO empirical studies) is bad. Really
bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Mar 2012 14:48:43 GMT, Han wrote:

Rodents also love the taste of warfarin/coumadin, the main active
ingredient in rat poison. Because it makes them bleed into their lungs,
they run outside to gasp for air and die (I'm told).

As a youngster I was told they go outside seeking water. I've seen
rats poisoned with D-Con. Later they could be found in a mud puddle
of water outside (witnessed).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 06:35:02 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

Victor traps, new each use,

Some people have suggested washing the traps in water with a little
bleach after each use. I've seen multiple rats killed in the same
trap that was never washed or cleaned.

One trap and one caught rat gets expensive for a poor man.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:46:13 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

The bait has to
be hard enough to remove that they're sure to stand on the trap and activate
the trigger.

Exactly. Use sewing thread and wrap it around cheese, tying the food
down. They really do want to work for the food, but then hang around
too long for a snapped neck.