Posted to wpg.general,winnipeg.general,alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Default Aluminum soffit installation problem-How would the pros handle this problem?

Hi guys,

I'm planning on installing aluminum soffit and fascia on my garage. The
garage is ~20 years old, with existing wood soffit and fascia which hangs
1.25" below the soffit. In other words, the soffit is countersunk approx
1.25". The soffit and fascia look similar to this:
http://www.kurowski.com/dreamhomes/c...14_1468_RJ.JPG .
After doing some reading I have come up with two questions for which I can
not find an answer.

1) According to the installation guides the J-channel is screwed/nailed into
the existing soffit along the garage wall, the soffit is cut to the
appropriate length, then placed into the J-channel and the opposite end is
screwed/nailed into the into the bottom of the fascia board. Kind of like
this: http://www.rd.com/18262/article18262-6.html (look at the last pic).
However if I did that my soffit would be at an angle due to the extra 1.25"
of fascia board, which would look like sh*t. So, how would the pros handle
this problem?

-install it on an angle?
-run a furring strip along the garage to make the J-channel level with the
bottom of the fascia? (This seems like a lot of work.)
-purchase a special product to handle this situation?

F-channel is not an option because it would be difficult to screw into
stucco.

2) Currently, there are no ventilation holes. Should I drill a few 2" holes
in the existing wood soffit prior to installing the aluminum soffit? I find
my garage is very humid in the winter/spring and my tools are rusting. The
interior of the garage is unfinished (bare studs and trusses). Any advice is
greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Curt

Posted to wpg.general,winnipeg.general,alt.home.repair

Actually, looking at picture 4, it does look like they are installing it
at an angle (look at the shadow from inside to out). If it seems like
too much of an angle, then either your idea of the furring strip or just
run a circular saw along the edge to cut down the 1.25".

As for 2 - I would think 2" is rather small. Either get a 4" hole saw or
do what they are doing in Picture 1 and use a jig saw.

Just my 2 cents

Mark

Me wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Me" wrote in message newsZ9kk.149164$gc5.37782@pd7urf2no...
[...]

Cross-posting removed.

Not claiming to be a Pro here but I have ran the track a few times.

I have never used J-channel for a soffitt install and don't think I would.
The F is much better made than the J to carry the weight. You should
physically compare the two products.

The nail flange on the F will just about even out the difference if you
install it with the flange up. Personally I like a 1/4-1/2" per foot drop
away from the structure.

The furring strip is your best option if you want to proceed using
J-channel.

Colbyt

Posted to wpg.general,winnipeg.general,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 03:04:52 GMT, "Me" wrote:

[...]

Here's what I did. I was using vinyl, not sure if it would work with
aluminum, but probably. Kind of hard to describe but I'll try. I had a
long section (30-40') arranged similar to yours.

I started by putting J along one short end, and two full pieces along
the long sides, fastening up into old soffit. Then I slid in enough
soffit pieces to almost fill up the section with J. Then I added two
more lengths of J, filled those in with soffit, and so on. As I got
near the opposite end, I didn't fasten the last 5-6 feet of J, but
left it dangle from the end that was fastened. I carefully slid in
soffit pieces, but now pushed them farther so they overlapped the
previous section. Then I fastened the remaining J, and add a piece at
the end. Finally, I slide the overlapped soffit material back out
into the last part of the J. Took a while to get the hang of it, but
eventually worked out pretty well.

HTH,

Paul F.

Gutter Replacement but Fascia Board/Soffit is the Problem Kevin G. Home Repair 7 March 11th 08 02:06 AM
upvc door handle problem UK diy 4 December 28th 06 03:46 PM
Wood broom handle fit problem Tom Gardner Woodworking 5 August 2nd 06 03:55 AM
polishing aluminum - what do the pros use? mike Metalworking 16 December 25th 05 07:16 AM
How to handle the mold problem in the basement? [email protected] Home Repair 10 July 19th 05 03:02 PM