Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

Default Diverter valve problem fixed but now another problem.

I have a Halstead Wickes Combi 2000 boiler.
A month ago I was only getting domestic hot water when the central
heating was on, I traced this to a perished Diverter valve diaphram
and replaced the complete valve and everything was fine, I had hot
water back.
A month later and now its gone again? But different symptoms this
time.
If I turn on the domestic hot water the pin on the diverter valve moves
up as it should and operates the micro switches OK and the burners come
on. But the heating appears to go to the central heating circuit and
the radiators get nice and hot, the domestic hot water never gets above
luke warm.
The diverter valve appears to be moving but not diverting, any help
please? I'm confused.

I don't know if this is relevant but when I open up the Automatic Air
Vent bleed nothing comes out no water or air.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I don't know if this is relevant but when I open up the Automatic Air
Vent bleed nothing comes out no water or air.

It may well be relevent. Are you sure you've topped up the system to enough
pressure? What does the pressure gauge read when cold? It should normally be
at about 1-1.5 bar. If not, top it up until it is. Then fire up the boiler
and wait a few minutes. If the pressure goes about 2-2.5 bar, then you have
an inadequete or broken pressure vessel. If the cold pressure steadily goes
down in less time than several months, then you have a leak or dodgy
pressure relief valve.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

If the pressure goes about 2-2.5 bar,

I meant "above", not "about". Basically, the pressure rise when heated
should be less than 1 bar. The lower the better.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

Thanks Christian for the fast response.
Yes I did notice yesterday the pressure had dropped, I topped it up and
I see it has gone down again, and I have just looked outside and there
is a slow drip from the pressure relief valve pipe. Hopefully it just
hasn't seated properly, but it's an easy fix unlike the expansion tank.
I topped back up to 1.5bar and ran the hot water it creeps up to 2.4bar
and seems to hold there.
The hot water gets warmer but not as hot as it should be and not as hot
as the central heating radiators, it seems the diverter valve is still
not diverting most of the water? Shouldn't the system operate normally
while the pressure has been topped back up to 1.5bar ? could there be
another problem

Thanks
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

The hot water gets warmer but not as hot as it should be and not as hot
as the central heating radiators, it seems the diverter valve is still
not diverting most of the water?

Turn the heating off. Let everything cool down. Now run a hot tap with the
CH still off. Do the rads heat up?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

Yes I have had the central heating off during all of these tests and
the rads get hot as if it was on.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Yes I have had the central heating off during all of these tests and
the rads get hot as if it was on.

Sounds like the diverter again, I'm afraid...

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

Yes that was my feeling, everything seems to point to the diverter
valve. The diaphram is moving but maybe the vale at the bottom is
sticking, I'll take it out and have a look at it.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 06:04:38 -0800, dave wrote:

Yes that was my feeling, everything seems to point to the diverter
valve. The diaphram is moving but maybe the vale at the bottom is
sticking, I'll take it out and have a look at it.

Could well be stuck due to black bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

Hi Ed
The water is very hard down hear in Hampshire and I was wondering if
bits of limescale are a possibility. the boiler is about 7 years old.
Is there any way of distinguishing between a blockage in the hot water
heat exchanger and a blockage in the diverter valve?
thanks
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:24:46 -0800, dave wrote:

Hi Ed
The water is very hard down hear in Hampshire and I was wondering if
bits of limescale are a possibility. the boiler is about 7 years old.
Is there any way of distinguishing between a blockage in the hot water
heat exchanger and a blockage in the diverter valve?

I take it that you originally replaced the diaphragm which is the bit that
moves the diverter valve.
The diverter valve may have springs in it which mean that even if the pin
moves the gubbins aren't.

I would resign yourself to draining, overhauling, flushing out and
descaling bit as needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

Ed
I replaced the complete diverter valve, but I guess it could still have
something blocking it.
Yes I think I must draindown and remove the diverter and probably the
heat exchanger to inspect and descale, at least I seem to have
identified the problem to two options.

Thanks all
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

I did replace the complete diverter valve but I guess it could still be
blocked. Yes I think I will need to take the diverter valve and
probably the secondary heat exchanger out and have a look at them.

Thanks
all
Dave