Arthur Davis

Default Septic system problem-pump out or drain field problem?

Today I started having problems with my septic system which is installed in
our Florida sand (this is a single story house). It was pumped out almost
four years ago and up to now hasn't given any problems. My wife did three
load of wash and on the third load there was a lot of gurgling in the
toilets and waste water backed up into one of the bathtubs (ironically the
one furthest from the septic system). I checked the drain access just
outside the house (between the house and the septic tank) and there was
water standing in it. Is this a matter of just having the septic tank
pumped out or is this an indication of a problem with the drain field?
There is no standing water where the drain field is. Previously the guy
that pumped out the tank (after five years) said everything looked great and
to not change anything we were doing (we haven't), but did suggest the next
pumpout at four years which I was planning to do in May.
Any help or advice you can give to help steer me would be appreciated.
Art.

Ross Mac

"Arthur Davis" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds like you have a clog in your plumbing. If your leech field was bad
you would most likely be seeing water at the surface. Anyway, Florida is a
big beach and the sand makes for a great leech field. Call a plumber or just
try to snake out the plumbing from the cleanout.

Richard J Kinch

Arthur Davis writes:

Is this a matter of just having the septic tank
pumped out or is this an indication of a problem with the drain field?

Pumping will do *nothing* to correct this trouble. Not clear why so many
people assume this is the first thing to try.

You may have a simple clog in the house or in the tank.

You may have a marginal drainfield that is being overwhelmed by a constant
leak somewhere or recent flooding, but can still handle your normal
household needs. Or it may be failing to the point it won't just keep up.

(From a fellow Floridian.)