Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I got a problem:(

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:46:13 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

The bait has to
be hard enough to remove that they're sure to stand on the trap and activate
the trigger.

Exactly. Use sewing thread and wrap it around cheese, tying the food
down. They really do want to work for the food, but then hang around
too long for a snapped neck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The bait has to
be hard enough to remove that they're sure to stand on the trap and

activate
the trigger.

Exactly. Use sewing thread and wrap it around cheese, tying the food
down. They really do want to work for the food, but then hang around
too long for a snapped neck.

Thread will work, too, but peanut butter makes some damn fine "glue" for
nuts, pieces of old lunch meat, etc. without futzing with threads. But
you're right - anything that prevents them from taking a flying leap at the
bait will work. I've caught a number of mice alive by the ends of their
tails. They squeak like you wouldn't believe when they're caught that way.
I found one of the "tail trapped" mice had dragged the trap several feet to
his escape hole. I was surprised he didn't try to bite his tail off to
escape. I actually took him and released him outside as a reward for his
Herculean efforts. Most of the others have a look of surprise on their face
when the trap hits them squarely across the neck.

Haven't seen mice in years since we got a Jack Russell Terrier and a Rat
Terrier. The JRT should be renamed Jack Squirrel Hater because that's what
she lives for and she's fast enough to catch them every now and then in the
backyard off the leash. Goes right for the neck. She only got bloodied the
first time she went after one. Now she's an expert and quick executioner.
JRT's have been clocked killing over 200 rats per hour in severely infested
barns. Grab at the neck, shake really hard with powerful shoulder and neck
muscles and then it's on to the next victim. A cat would bat them around
for hours.

The squirrels hate her and throw down all sorts of stuff from the trees when
she's loose in the backyard. I just saw on Nature that zoologists believe
that elephants kill lion cubs because lions sometimes kill elephant calves.
It's strictly a revenge thing because, of course, they're vegetarians.
Vengeful vegetarians. Huge vengeful vegetarians. (-:

I think this warm winter is going to result in some serious critter
problems. I've already seen stink bugs, bats, carpenter bees and all sorts
of winged and crawling bugs about. Today I saw a pretty big robin yanking
an earthworm out of the ground that was so big it looked like a small snake.
I went over to check and the robin hopped a way a few feet, waiting
patiently until I walked away and then grabbing that sucker and flying off
with it.

--
Bobby G.