Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Rain-X from car windshield

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:25:08 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Feb 8, 1:20*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron wrote:
I'm talking about PURE Rain-X.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshie...from-Squeaking

It's funny that pages such as the one above never mention cleaning the wiper
blades. I do this regularly, and the wiping performance immediatle improves. I
replace the blades every 5-7 years. This is in Seattle, where wipers get used a
lot.

5-7 years???? Here in FL I have to replace mine every six months
because the sun dries them out.

I think they recommend around where I am in Texas every inspection or
once a year. To be honest, 6 months doesn't sound like a bad idea
because like you, we get hot in the summer too. If you buy good
blades you can get past a year but I think I like the idea of frequent
changes tho it costs (depending on how you look at this cost).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 1:09*pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 07:52:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Feb 7, 5:48*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
Doug typed:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:13:19 -0600, wrote:

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 21:29:17 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Fine for all the other glass, but not on a WS.

I tried it once. After a couple months, I noticed that
the wipers were sticking to the glass. Jerk-jerk-jerk
movment resulted. ThenI noticed a black film, which was
apparently the rubber of the wiper coating the
windshield.

I've used it many times on the outside of the WS and it
works fine. I've never had any problems with wipers or
anything else. *I just never tried it inside, and now I
know not to do that again.

That may be true if you reapply it often but years ago I
read up on it and most didn't like it on the outside. *I
also tried it years ago and when new, it was fine but
found that when it begins to wear off, it makes a mess.
I don't remember what I used to get it off but I did get
it off.

Dunno what you had, but it wasn't rain-x. As it wears off all that happens
is the water droplets start forming again on the glass just as before you
put it on and views became obstructed again. Eventually it does no good and
you're right back to before you used it. READ the container and use
according to directions.- Hide quoted text -

Which is why I use this:

http://rainx.com/Products/Windshield...s/De-Icer.aspx

Nope, I choose to use some vinegar in the water instead. *Cleans well
for me and cheaper too. * As for freezing temps, where I am, we don't
get much less than 32 most winters.- Hide quoted text -

It's not about the temperature or the cleaning. It's about the Rain-X
mixture that eliminates the need to use the wipers at speeds over 40
MPH.

Some things I'm willing to pay a little extra for. Rain-X infused
washer fluid is one of them. There were 5 gallons of the stuff under
the Christmas tree this year, one for each driver, and another gallon
purchased for the extended-family's session of the White Elephant
game.

However, I do use vinegar and water for all other window cleaning, not
only for the inside and outside of my cars, but also throughout the
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:11:12 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

I thought that was brake fluid not coca cola ????

Always heard brake fluid damages car paint.
But never heard about Coke being used on glass.
Coke was recommended for cleaning chrome car bumpers.
Remember them?
Like old soldiers, they just faded away.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Ron wrote:

On Feb 8, 1:20*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron wrote:
I'm talking about PURE Rain-X.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshie...from-Squeaking

It's funny that pages such as the one above never mention cleaning the
wiper
blades. I do this regularly, and the wiping performance immediatle
improves. I
replace the blades every 5-7 years. This is in Seattle, where wipers get
used a
lot.

5-7 years???? Here in FL I have to replace mine every six months
because the sun dries them out.

Solar radiation exposure is a leading cause of rubber product
deterioration. Different types and blends do vary a good bit in their
resistance.

In the case of wipers, the wiper 'park' position and arm design are one
factor; some 'shade' the rubber components better than others.

Probably even more important is where the individual vehicle 'specimen'
is normally parked. Wiper daily average direct sun exposure times range
from some hours a day to nearly zero...

It's easy to understand how people, even living in the same household,
can experience greatly varying wiper life.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I thought that was brake fluid not coca cola ????

Always heard brake fluid damages car paint.
But never heard about Coke being used on glass.
Coke was recommended for cleaning chrome car bumpers.
Remember them?
Like old soldiers, they just faded away.

--Vic

Yeah Vic I remember chrome bumpers well because I had several cars
with them. I didn't know that Coke was good for cleaning them....
darn wish I knew that then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I thought that was brake fluid not coca cola ????

Always heard brake fluid damages car paint.
But never heard about Coke being used on glass.
Coke was recommended for cleaning chrome car bumpers.
Remember them?
Like old soldiers, they just faded away.

--Vic

Yeah Vic I remember chrome bumpers well because I had several cars
with them. I didn't know that Coke was good for cleaning them....
darn wish I knew that then.

Hey, I didn't say it worked. Just that it was "recommended."
I never paid attention to anybody recommending that.
Just used the chrome cleaner they sold in stores.
That always worked.
Drank the Coke. (-:

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

Erik wrote:
In article
,
Ron wrote:

On Feb 8, 1:20 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

So, do any of you actually clean your wipers? I find it instantly restores them
to like new condition after they begin to "wear out". In fact, the ones used for
the last 2 years came out of the trash can outside a local car parts place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:33:00 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

So, do any of you actually clean your wipers? I find it instantly restores them
to like new condition after they begin to "wear out". In fact, the ones used for
the last 2 years came out of the trash can outside a local car parts place.

Never did, but I'll try it next time they start streaking.
Been paying 12-15 bucks each for the ones I've been using.
They last 2-3 years, depending.
What do use to clean them?

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, do any of you actually clean your wipers? I find it instantly restores them
to like new condition after they begin to "wear out". In fact, the ones used for
the last 2 years came out of the trash can outside a local car parts place.

Never did, but I'll try it next time they start streaking.
Been paying 12-15 bucks each for the ones I've been using.
They last 2-3 years, depending.
What do use to clean them?

rubbing alcohol

Wash them when hands washing the car. The rag tuners black... I have
used Armour-all, applied after cleaning and it seemed to help the
wiper blades. Don't know if the AA has any adverse effect on the
blades.

I live in the desert so we don't worry much about wiper blades. They
just die early because it seldom rains :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 11:33*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Erik wrote:
In article
,
Ron wrote:

On Feb 8, 1:20 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

the last 2 years came out of the trash can outside a local car parts place.- Hide quoted text -

So, with all the different sized wipers available based on year/make/
model and driver/passenger side, you were able to find a pair of
wipers in the garbage that not only fit your car but were still in
good enough shape to last 2 years?

Color me skeptical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, do any of you actually clean your wipers? I find it instantly
restores them to like new condition after they begin to "wear out".
In fact, the ones used for the last 2 years came out of the trash
can outside a local car parts place.

Never did, but I'll try it next time they start streaking.
Been paying 12-15 bucks each for the ones I've been using.
They last 2-3 years, depending.
What do use to clean them?

Soap and water, water, washer fluid, just about anything. Just rub the wet
squeegie at the gas station along each edge of the blade, or wet a paper towel,
and squeeze the edge of the bade with it and rub fron end to end a couple times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 9, 11:33 am, "Bob F" wrote:
Erik wrote:
In article
,
Ron wrote:

On Feb 8, 1:20 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

Hey man! There were more than a dozen in there. Pretty standard sizes. No
problem.

I think they get dirty, and most people replace them rather than clean them.
They last for years here in Seattle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, do any of you actually clean your wipers? I find it instantly
restores them to like new condition after they begin to "wear out".
In fact, the ones used for the last 2 years came out of the trash
can outside a local car parts place.

Never did, but I'll try it next time they start streaking.
Been paying 12-15 bucks each for the ones I've been using.
They last 2-3 years, depending.
What do use to clean them?

Soap and water, water, washer fluid, just about anything. Just rub the wet
squeegie at the gas station along each edge of the blade, or wet a paper towel,
and squeeze the edge of the bade with it and rub fron end to end a couple times.

Somebody else said rubbing alcohol.
How's it work with just washing fluid?
I use that often anyway, out of the spritzers.
I'm not getting this.
Seems the rubber wiper edges would have to get reconditioned somehow
to go evenly along the glass again, and not streak.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

[...]

I said to use rubbing alcohol. As a matter of fact some of the wiper
blades I've bought had a alcohol wipe included.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:32:42 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

I said to use rubbing alcohol. As a matter of fact some of the wiper
blades I've bought had a alcohol wipe included.

I'll give rubbing alcohol a try next time the blades give me trouble.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, do any of you actually clean your wipers? I find it instantly restores them
to like new condition after they begin to "wear out". In fact, the ones used for
the last 2 years came out of the trash can outside a local car parts place.

Never did, but I'll try it next time they start streaking.
Been paying 12-15 bucks each for the ones I've been using.
They last 2-3 years, depending.
What do use to clean them?

rubbing alcohol

Wash them when hands washing the car. The rag tuners black... I have
used Armour-all, applied after cleaning and it seemed to help the
wiper blades. Don't know if the AA has any adverse effect on the
blades.

I live in the desert so we don't worry much about wiper blades. They
just die early because it seldom rains :-\

I never had a problem in the desert, then was thinking how much I used
them. After two years my paint was going bad, and hoses under the hood
started going bad.

I used aa heavily on my tires, they started cracking after a year.

It's hard to tell what the blades are made of. Might be vinyl. Maybe a
vinyl conditioner. I usually like to wax my windshields to.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 6, 2012 at 12:55:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I put some Rain-x on my windshield on the outside. I noticed they sell
one bottle for the outside of the window and one for the inside. I
figured they just wanted to sell two bottles and it's the same stuff.
It works fine on the outside. Rather than do the whole inside, I
thought I'd try it first and only did 1/4 of the windshield. I guess
the outside type dont work too well inside. When it's cold, the part
with the Rain-x gets all fogged up, while the rest of the window dont.
Worse yet, it's really hard to wipe off the fog, or whatever is the
correct word for that. (It's not cold enough to be frost, but it's
fogged up with moisture).

I guess I just have to remove it from that 1/4 th of the window. Anyone
know what will remove it?

Thanks

I had this same problem on interior and exterior. Tried every non-lethal thing I owned. None of them worked. Found a review of a product from Griot's Garage and it worked. Griot's Garage 6" Glass Polishing Pad along with Griot's glass polishing liquid removed the remains of a RainX windshield sealer that was distorting my vision during rain storms. Pad and polishing liquid required 30 minutes work and I now no longer have the problem. Great product - found them on Amazon but can buy them direct from Griot's Garage too. Highly recommend them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 3:14:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Your answer is 4 years overdue...he's already sold the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2016 3:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather
easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get
rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no
longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2016 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather
easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get
rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no
longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.

I love how people on this group are so kind and helpful
for each other. Restores my confidence in humanity.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 7:39:57 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/2/2016 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather
easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get
rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no
longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.

I love how people on this group are so kind and helpful
for each other. Restores my confidence in humanity.

Why is that? Ed only replied as you often do (Ed is abit funnier though) trying to be absurd.
Rain-X is great stuff (oh wait, that's foam in a can?). It's the only thing that will get you by, with no wipers!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2016 8:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/2/2016 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather
easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get
rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no
longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.

I love how people on this group are so kind and helpful
for each other. Restores my confidence in humanity.

I know a EE that used a Brillo pad on his car hood to remove some tree sap.

To his credit, he was smart enough to stop rubbing when he got to the primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 8:39:57 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/2/2016 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather
easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get
rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no
longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.

I love how people on this group are so kind and helpful
for each other. Restores my confidence in humanity.

Whoops, you forgot something.

Removing Rain-X from car windshield (The helpfulness of a.h.r posters)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in :

On 6/2/2016 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather
easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get
rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no
longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.

I love how people on this group are so kind and helpful
for each other. Restores my confidence in humanity.

Like the Mountain Meadows Massacre restores your confidence in humanity?
As you may recall the Mountain Meadows Massacre was the killing of
roughly 120 emigrants who were passing through Southern Utah in September
1857. They were murdered by Mormons.

http://mountainmeadowsmassacre.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I noticed the same thing on my 2018 vehicle that came with Crystal Fusion with the first application free. It made my wipers shudder and shake and seemed to do more harm than good. I did not renew it. I wonder how long that crap lasts and if after two years it's still there? Is there any solvent you can use to get rid of it? I would not recommend this to anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

....correct word

Defog, Defogger(vehicle climate control mode)

As far as inside windshield defog/defrost sprays are concerned, I call
GIMMICK. Rain-X externally works well for me. I use it on all fixed glass
and plastic(headlamp, taillight) surfaces on my cars, and on topside of
moonroofs.