Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Removing Rain-X from car windshield

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:39:14 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Feb 9, 1:15 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:33:00 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

So, do any of you actually clean your wipers? I find it instantly restores them
to like new condition after they begin to "wear out". In fact, the ones used for
the last 2 years came out of the trash can outside a local car parts place.

Never did, but I'll try it next time they start streaking.
Been paying 12-15 bucks each for the ones I've been using.
They last 2-3 years, depending.
What do use to clean them?

rubbing alcohol

Wash them when hands washing the car. The rag tuners black... I have
used Armour-all, applied after cleaning and it seemed to help the
wiper blades. Don't know if the AA has any adverse effect on the
blades.

I live in the desert so we don't worry much about wiper blades. They
just die early because it seldom rains :-\

I never had a problem in the desert, then was thinking how much I used
them. After two years my paint was going bad, and hoses under the hood
started going bad.

I used aa heavily on my tires, they started cracking after a year.

It's hard to tell what the blades are made of. Might be vinyl. Maybe a
vinyl conditioner. I usually like to wax my windshields to.

Greg