Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Removing Rain-X from car windshield

In article
,
Ron wrote:

On Feb 8, 1:20*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron wrote:
I'm talking about PURE Rain-X.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshie...from-Squeaking

It's funny that pages such as the one above never mention cleaning the
wiper
blades. I do this regularly, and the wiping performance immediatle
improves. I
replace the blades every 5-7 years. This is in Seattle, where wipers get
used a
lot.

5-7 years???? Here in FL I have to replace mine every six months
because the sun dries them out.

Solar radiation exposure is a leading cause of rubber product
deterioration. Different types and blends do vary a good bit in their
resistance.

In the case of wipers, the wiper 'park' position and arm design are one
factor; some 'shade' the rubber components better than others.

Probably even more important is where the individual vehicle 'specimen'
is normally parked. Wiper daily average direct sun exposure times range
from some hours a day to nearly zero...

It's easy to understand how people, even living in the same household,
can experience greatly varying wiper life.

Erik