Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Actuary work

On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 5:32*am, micky wrote:
On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. * So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. *That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. *If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Exactly so.
In the UK a couple of years back, when you bought anything, the
salesperson would spend the next few minutes trying to sell insurance.
It's stopped now, I think everyone wised up.

Mind you,some manufacturers are offering "lifetime guarantees".
Wonder exactly what that means?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:46:52 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. *That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. *If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Exactly so.
In the UK a couple of years back, when you bought anything, the
salesperson would spend the next few minutes trying to sell insurance.
It's stopped now, I think everyone wised up.

Mind you,some manufacturers are offering "lifetime guarantees".
Wonder exactly what that means?

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty
for $9.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a
self insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If
you really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Exactly so.
In the UK a couple of years back, when you bought anything, the
salesperson would spend the next few minutes trying to sell
insurance. It's stopped now, I think everyone wised up.

Mind you,some manufacturers are offering "lifetime guarantees".
Wonder exactly what that means?

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty
for $9.

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98 mouse
pad.

I declined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Extended warranty so you can bring your router to Heaven?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty
for $9.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Didn't need the mousepad warranty, cause you're using Linux mouse, and Linux
mice don't get virusses?

OTOH, maybe the replacement value is less than the $9 warranty?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty
for $9.

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98 mouse
pad.

I declined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My socks I am wearing have a lifetime warranty.

"I plan on living forever. So far so good."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 7:52*am, Thomas wrote:
My socks I am wearing have a lifetime warranty.

"I plan on living forever. So far so good."

Read the fine print, I bet it is the lifetime of the socks, not youG.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2012 12:32 AM, micky wrote:
On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Extended warranties are high profit items. I always decline them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 5:32*pm, Frank wrote:
On 1/18/2012 12:32 AM, micky wrote:

On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. * So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. *That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. *If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Extended warranties are high profit items. *I always decline them

I was looking at a Swiss made washing machine yesterday with a life
time guarantee. $2500. I examined it closely. It was incredibly well
made and efficient. (30% better than the normal best rating)

http://www.vzug.com/ch/en/product/ch-Catalog/265200
Only 2 years on the website?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the UK a couple of years back, when you bought anything, the
salesperson would spend the next few minutes trying to sell insurance.

I follow a regular routine when a cashier / clerk ask -- "would you
like an extended warranty today?"

"Sure, maybe, get it out so I can read it."

(usually a long line behind me with people rolling their eyes)

Clerk: "Sir, we don't have it at the counter"

"Okay, then I don't want one."

These EWs don't cover the part that is mostly likely to fail
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 12:32*am, micky wrote:
On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. * So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. *That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. *If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

"That way your a self insurer and you get to keep the profit
you'll likely make"

Did you mean that *they'll* likely make?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2012 2:53 PM, harry wrote:
On Jan 18, 5:32 pm, wrote:
[...]

That's about 5 times what our new washing machine cost last year. We got
rid of our 25 year old machine just because it was showing it's age.
New machine holds more clothes, uses less water and is quieter.

Same with TV sets. I had a fully functional color TV that was maybe 25
years old and even the charities refused it. I had to toss it in the trash.

A fine, old firearm, I'd keep forever but not a washing machine or TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Didn't need the mousepad warranty, cause you're using Linux mouse, and
Linux mice don't get virusses?

OTOH, maybe the replacement value is less than the $9 warranty?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended
warranty for $9.

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98
mouse pad.

I declined.

I would have asked for written coverage details (for laughs). Normal wear &
tear not covered for sure...which leaves...what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:18:39 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
m:

Didn't need the mousepad warranty, cause you're using Linux mouse, and
Linux mice don't get virusses?

OTOH, maybe the replacement value is less than the $9 warranty?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended
warranty for $9.

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98
mouse pad.

I declined.

I would have asked for written coverage details (for laughs). Normal wear &
tear not covered for sure...which leaves...what?

I can handle this question folks:

Empty wallet!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. *That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. *If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Exactly so.
In the UK a couple of years back, when you bought anything, the
salesperson would spend the next few minutes trying to sell insurance.
It's stopped now, I think everyone wised up.

Mind you,some manufacturers are offering "lifetime guarantees".
Wonder exactly what that means?

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty
for $9.

LOL. I would ask my heirs if they wanted to chip in on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a
self insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If
you really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Exactly so.
In the UK a couple of years back, when you bought anything, the
salesperson would spend the next few minutes trying to sell
insurance. It's stopped now, I think everyone wised up.

Mind you,some manufacturers are offering "lifetime guarantees".
Wonder exactly what that means?

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty
for $9.

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98 mouse
pad.

I declined.

In the last two weeks, at the Giant around here, the two new catch
phrases at the cash register are, Did you find everyhing? and when
done, Do you need help with the groceriss.

As to the first, I told them to stop rearranging things and I won't
have troublei finding them, but I know they don't car what I say to
the cashier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:18:39 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
m:

Didn't need the mousepad warranty, cause you're using Linux mouse, and
Linux mice don't get virusses?

OTOH, maybe the replacement value is less than the $9 warranty?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime
warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended
warranty for $9.

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98
mouse pad.

I declined.

I would have asked for written coverage details (for laughs). Normal wear &
tear not covered for sure...which leaves...what?

What's left?

Mous pad oxidation, mouse pad fission, and mouse pad fusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Just bought a Whirlpool POS dishwasher to replace same brand 14 years old
that was still working but showing the need for minor repairs.Whirlpool sent
a letter to see if we would like an extended warranty. (Chinese Crap?) My
reply is I won't spend ten cents on the POS after the year warranty expires.
Early Whirlpool stuff was good. 1961 washer and 1967 dryer bought new. Ten
years ago replaced them with Maytag because the Maytag was not as wide at
would fit our remodeling utility room. Gave the old Whirlpool set to oldest
son. He is still using them. Did buy an extended warranty on our 2007 Dodge
Caravan however. That has paid off as many repairs have been needed to date.
Recent Consumers Report showed these Caravans 2002 through 2007 were the
worst of the worst vehicles for needed repairs. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2012 1:53 PM, harry wrote:
On Jan 18, 5:32 pm, wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall something about a five year limit on warranty on
electrical items by law in The U.S., I may be drain bamaged but I'm
darn sure I read it someplace. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 5:32 pm, *wrote:
[...]

A fine, old firearm, I'd keep forever but not a washing machine or TV.- Hide quoted text -

You can buy a washing machine over here for less than $200 but it will
be a heap of crap.
I have a Miele,German made, it has lasted twenty odd years, no
repairs.
It was $1200,very expensive at the time.
I had a friend, worked in a washing machine developement lab,
(Hoover) he recommended it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 5:32 pm, *wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to replace
(house) and what I legally have to (car)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Didn't need the mousepad warranty, cause you're using Linux mouse,
and Linux mice don't get virusses?

Er, no. Linux is a knock-off of a 50-year old operating system designed by a
money-losing division of your local telephone company. That's possibly why
Linux has less than 2% of the installed operating system base.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just what I needed, this morning. A serious answer to a stupid off topic
quip.

Glad I didn't make a prostate joke. Then, you could have gone with the flow,
bro.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Didn't need the mousepad warranty, cause you're using Linux mouse,
and Linux mice don't get virusses?

Er, no. Linux is a knock-off of a 50-year old operating system designed by a
money-losing division of your local telephone company. That's possibly why
Linux has less than 2% of the installed operating system base.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 1:26*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Just what I needed, this morning. A serious answer to a stupid off topic
quip.

Glad I didn't make a prostate joke. Then, you could have gone with the flow,
bro.

No-one can tell when you're being serious or not.
It's a problem with religious nuts.

Tell us a joke. Precede your joke with the word joke and then we can
be sure. About prostrates if you like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Just what I needed, this morning. A serious answer to a stupid off topic
quip.

Glad I didn't make a prostate joke. Then, you could have gone with the flow,
bro.

No-one can tell when you're being serious or not.
It's a problem with religious nuts.

Tell us a joke. Precede your joke with the word joke and then we can
be sure. About prostrates if you like.

there's no "R" in prostate.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Just what I needed, this morning. A serious answer to a stupid off topic
quip.

Glad I didn't make a prostate joke. Then, you could have gone with the flow,
bro.

No-one can tell when you're being serious or not.
It's a problem with religious nuts.

Tell us a joke. Precede your joke with the word joke and then we can
be sure. About prostrates if you like.

more correctly, there's only ONE "R" in prostate.
--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Jan 2012 21:34:50 GMT, Han wrote:

harry wrote in news:e1b37b0a-91a8-419e-af63-
:

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to replace
(house) and what I legally have to (car)

Don't you have compulsory health insurance of some dubious quality?

Sure, but it's "free".
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
Just what I needed, this morning. A serious answer to a stupid off topic
quip.

Glad I didn't make a prostate joke. Then, you could have gone with the flow,
bro.

No-one can tell when you're being serious or not.
It's a problem with religious nuts.

Tell us a joke. *Precede your joke with the word joke and then we can
be sure. About prostrates if you like.

more correctly, there's only ONE "R" in prostate.
--
Steve Barker

Ah. That rather spoilt the sarcasm. :-)

Prostration is the placement of the body in a reverentially or
submissively prone position.
I was referring to our friend's religious persuasions. I thought I
might catch him out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 9:34*pm, Han wrote:
harry wrote in news:e1b37b0a-91a8-419e-af63-
:

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to replace
(house) and what I legally have to (car)

Don't you have compulsory health insurance of some dubious quality?

It's not considered insurance over here. it's considered to be a
right.

The difference is that no-one is making a profit out of someone elses
bad fortune. We consider that to be immoral.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
Just what I needed, this morning. A serious answer to a stupid off topic
quip.

Glad I didn't make a prostate joke. Then, you could have gone with the flow,
bro.

No-one can tell when you're being serious or not.
It's a problem with religious nuts.

Tell us a joke. *Precede your joke with the word joke and then we can
be sure. About prostrates if you like.

more correctly, there's only ONE "R" in prostate.
--
Steve Barker

Which is more important, the ability to count or tospellBTW?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:55:32 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:28*am, "
wrote:
On 19 Jan 2012 21:34:50 GMT, Han wrote:

harry wrote in news:e1b37b0a-91a8-419e-af63-
:

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to replace
(house) and what I legally have to (car)

Don't you have compulsory health insurance of some dubious quality?

Sure, but it's "free".

Nothing is free.

Gee, you Europeons think it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:54:42 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Jan 19, 9:34*pm, Han wrote:
harry wrote in news:e1b37b0a-91a8-419e-af63-
:

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to replace
(house) and what I legally have to (car)

Don't you have compulsory health insurance of some dubious quality?

It's not considered insurance over here. it's considered to be a
right.

The difference is that no-one is making a profit out of someone elses
bad fortune. We consider that to be immoral.

Oh, your doctors work for free?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:55:32 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:28*am, "
wrote:
On 19 Jan 2012 21:34:50 GMT, Han wrote:

harry wrote in news:e1b37b0a-91a8-419e-af63-
:

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to
replace (house) and what I legally have to (car)

Don't you have compulsory health insurance of some dubious quality?

Sure, but it's "free".

Nothing is free.

Gee, you Europeons think it is.

I was Dutch, but no longer.
Have you ever heard of free shipping? grin.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jan 19, 9:34*pm, Han wrote:
harry wrote in news:e1b37b0a-91a8-419e-af63-
:

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to
replace (house) and what I legally have to (car)

Don't you have compulsory health insurance of some dubious quality?

It's not considered insurance over here. it's considered to be a
right.

The difference is that no-one is making a profit out of someone elses
bad fortune. We consider that to be immoral.

Oh, your doctors work for free?

No they don't work for free, but some work more for helping people,
rather than getting rich and/or playing the insurance and the patient.
At least that was what the trauma surgeon said more or less. The one
that repaired my badly fractured leg in Holland. I got 2 plates and a
dozen or so screws in my right leg after both tibia and fibula broke just
above the ankle. Less than $10K total, including the ambulance. I was
traveling again after 3 days.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jan 2012 03:35:39 GMT, Han wrote:

Have you ever heard of free shipping? grin.

Yeah, but they expect you to by something to get it. Always a catch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 19 Jan 2012 21:34:50 GMT, Han wrote:

harry wrote in news:e1b37b0a-91a8-419e-af63-
:

I never buy insurance except for stuff I couldn't afford to replace
(house) and what I legally have to (car)

Don't you have compulsory health insurance of some dubious quality?

Sure, but it's "free".

Nothing is free.

Gee, you Europeons think it is.- Hide quoted text -

Heh. You are the one living in a fascist state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 4:29*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 21 Jan 2012 03:35:39 GMT, Han wrote:

Have you ever heard of free shipping? *grin.

Yeah, but they expect you to by something to get it. *Always a catch.

Or, "Nothing to pay for X months". When I hear that, I know it's
expensive goods.