Posted to alt.home.repair
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default Actuary work

"micky" wrote in message
On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Just bought a Whirlpool POS dishwasher to replace same brand 14 years old
that was still working but showing the need for minor repairs.Whirlpool sent
a letter to see if we would like an extended warranty. (Chinese Crap?) My
reply is I won't spend ten cents on the POS after the year warranty expires.
Early Whirlpool stuff was good. 1961 washer and 1967 dryer bought new. Ten
years ago replaced them with Maytag because the Maytag was not as wide at
would fit our remodeling utility room. Gave the old Whirlpool set to oldest
son. He is still using them. Did buy an extended warranty on our 2007 Dodge
Caravan however. That has paid off as many repairs have been needed to date.
Recent Consumers Report showed these Caravans 2002 through 2007 were the
worst of the worst vehicles for needed repairs. WW