Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Actuary work

On 1/18/2012 1:53 PM, harry wrote:
On Jan 18, 5:32 pm, wrote:
On 1/18/2012 12:32 AM, micky wrote:

On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not
for people.

He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he
predicted how long your refrigerator would last. So that they could
sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.

When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years
ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."

IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a self
insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If you
really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a
second-hand one.

Extended warranties are high profit items. I always decline them

I was looking at a Swiss made washing machine yesterday with a life
time guarantee. $2500. I examined it closely. It was incredibly well
made and efficient. (30% better than the normal best rating)

http://www.vzug.com/ch/en/product/ch-Catalog/265200
Only 2 years on the website?

I seem to recall something about a five year limit on warranty on
electrical items by law in The U.S., I may be drain bamaged but I'm
darn sure I read it someplace. o_O

TDD