Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good phillips driver bit

On 07/17/11 02:44 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws? These pieces of crap they sell for
$.75-1.00 ea on lumberyard checkout counters, where you grab a
handfull like promo popcorn cuz they're cheap Chinese ****, and most
ppl have settled for this absurd scenario. Why!?

I'd gladly pay $5-10 for a single bit that would last longer than a
hundred screws before it's useless garbage and I gotta reach for new
one like it was consumable sandpaper. Why do ppl pay hundreds for
quality power tools then settle for 88 cent table bits!? It's insane!

I'm not an advocate of cheap tools, but I've not had too much trouble
with power bits. Are you sure your bit matches the screw? Many or most
deck screws are pozidriv, not phillips.

And at many of the "home improvement" stores nobody has ever heard of
Pozidriv, even though one will sometimes find them there in a set of
assorted bits. Look for bits marked "PZ" followed by a number.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:27:49 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

I've never noticed that. I went down to the garage and found a couple of
boxes of them (GripRite). One wasn't marked anywhere as Pozidriv and had no
such markings on the head (no radials between the slots). The only marking on
the head was an 'H', which I assume meant that it was hardened? The other box
was Torx. ;-)

And at many of the "home improvement" stores nobody has ever heard of
Pozidriv, even though one will sometimes find them there in a set of
assorted bits. Look for bits marked "PZ" followed by a number.

I *have* noticed that. I needed a couple of Pozidriv screwdrivers at work
(production was rounding out the heads). I had to order them over the
Internet. Even the woodworking stores don't seem to carry PZ drivers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Odd,I got 2 of the PZ bits included in Harbor Freight's $1.99
screwdriver,the one with the reddish orange handle and black rubber grip.
PZ-1 and PZ-2,Phillips 1 and 2,and 3 flat blade bits.

for deck screws,I'd rather use square drive.

Phillips screws main problem is camout.
Pozidrive was a little better,but TorX and sq.drive top them.

Many people don't push hard enough when driving Phillips,or don't seat the
bit fully at first,and once the camout has begun,it only gets worse.
and don't tilt the driver off axis.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:05:14 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

For deck screws, I'd much rather have Torx. That's what I've been buying
lately. They're expensive but so are decks.

Phillips screws main problem is camout.

Since they were designed to cam out (here we go again), that's not surprising.

Pozidrive was a little better,but TorX and sq.drive top them.

Agreed, Pozidriv is good but it can't come close to Torx. I like the way the
bit holds onto the driver, too. It's great for awkward places.

Many people don't push hard enough when driving Phillips,or don't seat the
bit fully at first,and once the camout has begun,it only gets worse.
and don't tilt the driver off axis.

No question, but sometimes it's hard not to. After a few hours in the sun, I
get tired and the driver starts spinning. An impact driver helps a *lot*.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:38:44 -0700, RosemontCrest
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 7:21 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:16:34 -0700,
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 6:37 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:32:49 -0700,
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 4:20 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Agreed, Pozidriv is good but it can't come close to Torx. I like the way the
bit holds onto the driver, too. It's great for awkward places.

How does a Torx bit "hold onto" the driver any better or differently
than any other bit with a hex shaft? Did you mean to type that you like
the way that Torx bits hold onto the fastener?

Yes, sorry. "...the Torx *screw* holds onto the driver"

Okay. I'll take that to mean that you like the way that Torx *bits* hold
onto Torx *screws* and that the *driver* has nothing to do with that
interface.

No, I meant driver. Perhaps you don't know what a screwdriver is?

I was assuming replaceable hex bits installed in a driver of some sort,
not necessarily a screwdriver, with the screw being held by the bit, not
the driver.

Even if you couldn't understand that a screwdriver is what is used to drive
screws, you're being an ass.

Yes, I know what is a screwdriver. Do you often punctuate statements in
the form of a question?

When it is a question, I generally end a sentence with a question mark, yes.
BTW, you answered the question. I would assume that you know that it was a
question. Why the surprise? Don't answer. That was a "rhetorical question"
(look it up).

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
news
wrote:

Phillips screws main problem is camout.

Since they were designed to cam out (here we go again), that's not
surprising.

Do you REALLY believe Phillips was "designed" to camout?
what gave you that idea?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

On 7/17/2011 7:21 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:16:34 -0700,
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 6:37 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:32:49 -0700,
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 4:20 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[...]

I think you're feeding a troll.

I killfiled this guy long ago.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

" wrote innews
wrote:
Phillips screws main problem is camout.

Since they were designed to cam out (here we go again), that's not
surprising.

Do you REALLY believe Phillips was "designed" to camout?
what gave you that idea?

I don't know whether it's really true or not, but that seems to be the
accepted story.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip...river#Phillips

Phillips
Phillips drive tool and fastener sizes[3] Tool size Fastener size
0 0–1
1 2–4
2 5–9
3 10–16
4 18–24
Created by Henry F. Phillips, the Phillips screw drive was purposely
designed to cam out when the screw stalled, to prevent the fastener
damaging the work or the head, instead damaging the driver. This was
caused by the relative difficulty in building torque limiting into the
early drivers.

The American Screw Company was responsible for devising a means of
manufacturing the screw, and successfully patented and licensed their
method; other screw makers of the 1930s dismissed the Phillips concept
because it calls for a relatively complex recessed socket shape in the
head of the screw — as distinct from the simple milled slot of a
slotted type screw.

There are five relatively common (and two rather uncommon) Phillips
drive sizes that are different from the screw size; they are
designated 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 (increasing in size).[3][5]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:16:02 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
news
wrote:

Phillips screws main problem is camout.

Since they were designed to cam out (here we go again), that's not
surprising.

Do you REALLY believe Phillips was "designed" to camout?

Like I said, here we go again...

what gave you that idea?

It was designed to cam out before breaking the screw. DAGS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2011-07-18, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It was designed to cam out before breaking the screw. DAGS.

What horsecrap.

It was developed to reduce assembly time on mass production assembly
lines. The worker with driver tool only requires a quarter turn to
align for engagement instead of up to a half turn. A phillips
fastener is also self centering. This not to say phillips fasteners
can't cam out, but so can straight slot fasteners. If the proper tool
is used, there's no reason for a phillips fasteners to cam out.

Here's the DAGS you obviously didn't do.

http://www.phillips-screw.com/histor...t_phillips.htm

nb

nb

Phillips screws are designed so that the driver cams out before the
screw can be overtorqued. The fact that you found a single article that
didn't happen to mention that, but does talk about some other features
and advantages of the design, doesn't mean the cam-out thing isn't true.
Sorry notbob, on this one, you're notright.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2011 6:19 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
z wrote in
:

wrote:

On 7/17/2011 7:21 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:16:34 -0700,
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 6:37 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:32:49 -0700,
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 4:20 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[...]

I'm not trying to be an ass or a troll. I was simply seeking clarification.

There are times that I use a ratchet with a 1/4" socket and a bit to
drive screws. I wouldn't call that a screwdriver, but the ratchet is the
driver.

"Perhaps you don't know what a screwdriver is" is a statement, not a
question. "Do you perhaps not know what is a screwdriver?" is a question.

I'm not a troll; this will be my last response to this thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzz wrote innews
wrote:
Phillips screws main problem is camout.

Since they were designed to cam out (here we go again), that's not
surprising.

Do you REALLY believe Phillips was "designed" to camout?
what gave you that idea?

I don't know whether it's really true or not, but that seems to be the
accepted story.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip...river#Phillips

Maybe. But the patent
http://www.google.com/patents?id=MIN...page&q&f=false
which is reference by the wiki article doesn't claim the "cam out" feature.

The biggest single "consumer" of Philips screws and bits is the
"drywall" industry. Many of these drivers seem to use "cam out" to
control penetration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:47:58 -0400, John Gilmer
wrote:

zzz wrote innews

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip...river#Phillips

Maybe. But the patent
http://www.google.com/patents?id=MIN...page&q&f=false
which is reference by the wiki article doesn't claim the "cam out" feature.

The biggest single "consumer" of Philips screws and bits is the
"drywall" industry. Many of these drivers seem to use "cam out" to
control penetration.

No, they use a specially designed driver that sets the "depth" of the
screw. When that depth is reached, the "clutch" disengages - not a
"cam-out" function at all. Otherwize you could just use a drill with a
$0.99 philips bit to hang drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-19, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I know you, unfortunately, NutHob.

Yet, you continue to nymshift to avoid my KF.

I know you love me.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-19, notbob wrote:

I know you, unfortunately, NutHob.

Gotchya, ya' strippy assed lil' turd.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

No, they use a specially designed driver that sets the "depth" of the
screw. When that depth is reached, the "clutch" disengages - not a
"cam-out" function at all. Otherwize you could just use a drill with a
$0.99 philips bit to hang drywall.

You can't be serious. A device that actually sets the depth the screw can
penetrate, then contacts the drywall, and automatically disengage the bit?

Preposterous.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-20, Steve B wrote:

You can't be serious. A device that actually sets the depth the screw can
penetrate, then contacts the drywall, and automatically disengage the bit?

Preposterous.

Not at all. A clutch head driver:

http://tinyurl.com/3osp28v

They make 'em fer electric/air/hand powered tools for many different
fastener types.

I don't know about setting depth. That's pretty much the function of
the screw length. But, definitely will disengage the bit when screw
bottoms out and/or reaches a specific torque setting. My first
experience was with an air clutch head driver for self-tapping
hex/flange sheet metal screws. Suckers would drive into 1/8" steel
like soft butter, then the bit would disengage when bottomed out.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-20, Steve B wrote:

You can't be serious. A device that actually sets the depth the screw
can
penetrate, then contacts the drywall, and automatically disengage the
bit?

Preposterous.

Not at all. A clutch head driver:

http://tinyurl.com/3osp28v

They make 'em fer electric/air/hand powered tools for many different
fastener types.

I don't know about setting depth. That's pretty much the function of
the screw length. But, definitely will disengage the bit when screw
bottoms out and/or reaches a specific torque setting. My first
experience was with an air clutch head driver for self-tapping
hex/flange sheet metal screws. Suckers would drive into 1/8" steel
like soft butter, then the bit would disengage when bottomed out.

nb

psssssssssst ............. look for the ;-) Anyone who doesn't know about a
depth setting drywall screw driver is a sure newbie.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:09:36 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:47:58 -0400, John Gilmer
wrote:

zzz wrote innews
wrote:
Phillips screws main problem is camout.

Since they were designed to cam out (here we go again), that's not
surprising.

Do you REALLY believe Phillips was "designed" to camout?
what gave you that idea?

I don't know whether it's really true or not, but that seems to be the
accepted story.

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip...river#Phillips

Maybe. But the patent
http://www.google.com/patents?id=MIN...page&q&f=false
which is reference by the wiki article doesn't claim the "cam out" feature.

The biggest single "consumer" of Philips screws and bits is the
"drywall" industry. Many of these drivers seem to use "cam out" to
control penetration.

No, they use a specially designed driver that sets the "depth" of the
screw. When that depth is reached, the "clutch" disengages - not a
"cam-out" function at all.

This sort cam out when the depth is reached:

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...-2-screws.html

Otherwize you could just use a drill with a
$0.99 philips bit to hang drywall.

Do it all the time. It's not something I'd do when hanging multiple sheets,
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-19, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I know you, unfortunately, NutHob.

Yet, you continue to nymshift to avoid my KF.

You're a ****ing liar, too.

I know you love me.

Wrong, NutJob.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-19, notbob wrote:

I know you, unfortunately, NutHob.

Gotchya, ya' strippy assed lil' turd.

What a liar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-20, Steve wrote:

[...]

Some people are humor and irony impaired, they often don't know when
you're pulling their leg. I run into it a lot with my Evangelical
Southern Baptist cousins, Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks and um,
.....(me ducks behind immovable object)......er,.......... women. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some people are humor and irony impaired, they often don't know when
you're pulling their leg. I run into it a lot with my Evangelical
Southern Baptist cousins, Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks and um,
....(me ducks behind immovable object)......er,.......... women. :-)

There are a lot of "satire impaired," too.

I see it on this newsgroup with almost every post I make.

----
Baptist story:
I once dated a lady whose sister and brother-in-law were Baptist
missionaries. They came to town for the Thanksgiving holiday and I had an
opportunity to have the following conversation:

Me: "You're Baptist missionaries, right?"

Brother-in-law: "Right."

Me: "I mean you're professional missionaries. You get a paycheck from the
Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention - you're not just
passing out tracts on the street corner?"

BIL: "Right"

Me: "So let me ask: Why are you missionaries to Mexico? That's got to be the
most Christian country on the planet. Wouldn't you get more souls for the
buck if you were in Tanzania or Pago-Pago?"

BIL: "No. You see the Catholics in Mexico are not really Christians..."

One of the few times in my life I left a conversation totally bewildered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2011 10:00 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I have them all in my family. One of my cousins on my father's branch of
the tree is a fairly well known Southern Baptist evangelist. He once
asked my mother if she was in The Mafia because Mom is from The Italian
side of the family. I even have Jewish cousins which is why I consider
everyone to my cousin.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-20, Steve B wrote:

You can't be serious. A device that actually sets the depth the screw can
penetrate, then contacts the drywall, and automatically disengage the bit?

Preposterous.

Not at all. A clutch head driver:

That was a *joke*, son.
[and *that's* Foghorn Leghorn]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

BIL: "No. You see the Catholics in Mexico are not really Christians..."

One of the few times in my life I left a conversation totally bewildered.

It's all about market share.