David Kerr

Default Angled drill/driver - any good?

Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found
myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in
Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather
puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they
didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth
having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75
quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

TIA,

David
Andy Hall

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:27:00 +0000, David Kerr
wrote:

Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found
myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in
Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather
puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they
didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth
having?

I have a Makita DA391 which is an excellent drill. This is in the
£160 range from Screwfix - I bought mine in the U.S. for about $150.

It is only a 9.6v battery device, but don't be fooled by that - it has
a low gear ratio so is able to achieve good torque. Generally you
don't want high speed anyway.

Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75
quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

Whether you will get one at that low a price, I doubt. One thing
that is important is good slow speed control while maintaining torque
which Makita drills do have.

I use this tool a lot more than I anticipated that I would.

TIA,

David

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
MrCheerful

"David Kerr" wrote in message

Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found
myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in
Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather
puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they
didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth
having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75
quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

TIA,

David

I used to have the use of a makita angle drill, it was brilliant, but I
can't afford to buy one of my own, in truth I have rarely found a job that I
can't do another way. So , nice to have and useful but not indispensible.

MrCheerful

The Natural Philosopher

David Kerr wrote:

Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found
myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in
Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather
puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they
didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth
having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75
quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

They are invaluable when nothing else works, but they seldom have the
power - partly because of exertng the pressure.

TIA,

David

RichardS

"David Kerr" wrote in message

Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found
myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in
Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather
puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they
didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth
having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75
quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

If you have a need for an angle drill then there isn't really another tool
that will do the job as well.

I'd pop down to the local independent hire shop if your need is likely to be
transient. If PPro, Nutool, Ferm and the likes release one for a moderate
amount of money then that would change the economics of the situation
somewhat, and I'd be tempted to get one for occasional use then.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers

Friend of mine has a corded one (from RS, and yes it was expensive)

Dead handy when you need it. Not a great deal of use otherwise. Most
of the time it gets used it's for wire brushing, as this is much
easier to handle than with a "standard" drill grip.

--
Smert' spamionam
Neil Bush

David Kerr wrote:
Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found
myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in
Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather
puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they
didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth
having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75
quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

TIA,

David

David,
I have used something like this in similar circumstances:

Neil

IMM

"David Kerr" wrote in message

Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found
myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled
drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in
Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather
puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they
didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth
having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75
quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

Ryobi now sell one for £100 plus VAT inc a 14.4 v drill driver. So
excellent value for money if you need the two. Ryobi are a good make.
http://www.protrade.co.uk

I have seen this attachment for sale in tool shops for £12
http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,132.html

I bought the above for £10 and this angle driver below for a £5 at the local
tool stall. Does the job well, and all for £15. Beats paying £170

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=313405

---