Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good phillips driver bit

On 17 Jul 2011 18:36:07 GMT, notbob wrote:

I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws?

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's and have pretty good luck. But I'm moving
to square drive from McFeely's and buying their bits. That and an
impact driver makes a world of difference.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-17, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's.....

That pretty much says it all.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On 17 Jul 2011 18:36:07 GMT, wrote:

I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws?

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's and have pretty good luck. But I'm moving
to square drive from McFeely's and buying their bits. That and an
impact driver makes a world of difference.

Jim

It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and
driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be
another 70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)

The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used
in Canada for decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:52:13 -0700, Ned Flanders
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On 17 Jul 2011 18:36:07 GMT, wrote:

I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws?

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's and have pretty good luck. But I'm moving
to square drive from McFeely's and buying their bits. That and an
impact driver makes a world of difference.

Jim

It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and
driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be
another 70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)

The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used
in Canada for decades.

Um, Robertson screws have been used in the US "for decades", too. I started
using them about thirty years ago. For anything other than hanging sheetrock,
and such, I generally use either Robertson or Torx.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and
driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be
another 70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)

The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used
in Canada for decades.

-----------------

Robertson Screw driver was invented 10 miles down the road from me. They
named a school after him and the Robertson Corporation is still around in
Milton.

HOWEVER, the square head screw was indeed invented by a Yankee, 15 years
before the Canuck version, in New York City. Robertson's screw worked
because he figured out a good manufacturing process. The American screw
head was a failure and that's why the Yanks used Phillips

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ned Flanders" wrote in message
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On 17 Jul 2011 18:36:07 GMT, wrote:

I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws?

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's and have pretty good luck. But I'm moving
to square drive from McFeely's and buying their bits. That and an
impact driver makes a world of difference.

Jim

It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and
driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be another
70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)

The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used in
Canada for decades.

Yes, I found that out in the 60's doing appliance repair on washers and
dryers that were brought in from Canada. Had to make a driver to get them
apart. Replaced screws with hex head that was used

on American brands. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-17, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's.....

That pretty much says it all.

nb

try "RacKies" from "Rack A Tiers" brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2011 4:52 PM, Ned Flanders wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On 17 Jul 2011 18:36:07 GMT, wrote:

I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws?

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's and have pretty good luck. But I'm moving
to square drive from McFeely's and buying their bits. That and an
impact driver makes a world of difference.

Jim

It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and
driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be
another 70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)

The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used
in Canada for decades.

Most electrical panels and circuit breakers are using screws that will
fit Robertson, Phillips and flat blade screw drivers. The combo screws
make it easy to work on the stuff.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

....and that makes it too easy to strip the panel. DAMHIKT. :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

I have all the bits in one screwdriver that I carry in my pocket.
I have a Megalok multi bit screwdriver made by Megapro. I bought
from WW Grainger who for some reason quit stocking the Megalok
even though they still sell the other Megapro screwdrivers. The
drivers are made in USA and the best of the type I've ever owned.
I carry all sorts of tools in my pockets, enough that I'm often
called: Inspector Gadget. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/69emrj8

http://www.megapro.net/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 17, 5:52*pm, Ned Flanders wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On 17 Jul 2011 18:36:07 GMT, *wrote:

I've asked before and got no good answer. *Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws?

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's and have pretty good luck. *But I'm moving
to square drive from McFeely's and buying their bits. * *That and an
impact driver makes a world of difference.

Jim

It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and
driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be
another 70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)

The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used
in Canada for decades.

My grandfather had a camper shell on his old Chevy pickup that was
held together primarily by Robertson screws. I remember this because
of the difficulty of finding drivers for them. In fact, I think that
when my father purchased said truck complete with camper shell, my
grandfather gave him a Robertson driver which appeared to be made by
shaping the shank of an old Phillips driver on a bench grinder :/

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

The Klein 10-in-1 (now 11-in-1, but I still keep calling it a 10-in-1
out of habit) includes two sizes of Robertson as well, FWIW.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2011 8:35 AM, N8N wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

I should have written that the Megalock has all the bits I normally need
which is 14 with the 7 double sided bits, 4 of which are Robertson. I've
a separate multi-bit driver with tamper resistant bits in my tool bag.
Of course, there is the big honking Klein in the tool bag that doubles
as a chisel so it's beat all to hell. :-)

TDD

P2R phillips bit -- what is it? Esther & Fester Bestertester Home Repair 36 October 25th 20 07:44 AM
Good time to buy a drill driver The Medway Handyman UK diy 9 May 5th 09 09:51 PM
drill-driver vs magazine driver £200 budget tom patton UK diy 13 March 27th 05 12:24 PM
Phillips Da-man Electronics Repair 3 December 15th 04 07:24 PM
Angled drill/driver - any good? David Kerr UK diy 7 January 5th 04 01:17 PM