Da-man

Default Phillips

I was given a Phillips unit to look at, and wanting to have some service
info - I wrote to the Phillips company from their website. No reply. I was
explicit on the model. While I probably could repair it without info, I
prefer to have the info.

Has anyone else had luck in contacting them?

This isn't the first time I've had trouble contacting any manufacturer. I
think it is pretty low of them to not even reply - even if no info is
available, once they've pocketed their profits. The last manufacturer, I
told off in a 3rd e-mail after the first two went unanswered - about the
same thing I just said - profits and no service. That got a response as to
how to proceed with service. Maybe we all ought to start showing our disgust
with these companies who run with the money.

I really must wonder why a company has a "contact us" button on their
website, when they know full well they'll never answer any e-mails. Yes,
they may get quite a few, but come - on..... What IS customer service
"supposed" to expect?
A day at the beach? Some companies who do care about customer service have
you fill out surveys as to how well they did. That gets to be a pain in the
ass too, but at least they show they care.

I'll post the model number later in the day - when I get a chance to look at
the unit (its not here in front of me), maybe someone has a lead on some
information I can make use of.

As a side note... I know Howard Sams is still in business, but how are they
doing with more recent TVs, Stereos, or whatever they're covering? Just what
ARE they covering now days? OR just selling copies of info from days gone
by?

DM

NSM

"Da-man" wrote in message
erio.net...
| I was given a Phillips unit to look at, and wanting to have some service
| info - I wrote to the Phillips company from their website. No reply. I was
| explicit on the model. While I probably could repair it without info, I
| prefer to have the info.

They seem to be selling cheap crap these days like so many others. See if
they have a local distributor.

Wolfgang F. Gärber

Dear Da-man,

I´m working for these guys (....)
As far as I know - there are specially dongled Service CD´s available
for authorized Philips service centers (stores).
I have (had) good experiences with almost any other brand - contacting
local distributors correctly.
It works very well on small distributors - best is to visit such a
service-center
personally - ask for copies of schematics - and if they disagree - start
discussing
about their policy - and frigthen them by blameing them at all your
"consumer" friends.
I have very good experience with Sony, very competent telephone support .
(even if you are a private person) - I could order service manual on the
phone - as well
as ordering drive belt for 25 year old quadrophonic tape recorders.

I also disagree with a service policy that is restricted to authorized
stores - and doesn´t
support interested private persons. (I think this is some kind of
fundamental right ;- )))

If you can mail me the 12NC (12 digit number identification code on the
device or the pcb -
I can look if I can hel you ...

Wolfgang

"Da-man" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
erio.net...
[...]

NSM

"BubbaJim" wrote in message
0.153...

| I think that the companies stopped giving out repair info on their TVs
| Besides, it can take away from a technicians livelihood as well. Look at
| the automotive industry...can you even find the spark plugs on a modern
| car these days?

I can find them but only Dr Zoidberg can get at them.