Carl West

Default Phillips Spec(s)

So I've got a bunch of beat up Phillips head drivers and I want to clean them up and make 'em useful again.

Some have a fairly acute angle to them, some are less so, which is right?

What I'd really like to find is the spec(s) for the geometry of the various sizes of Philips bits. I haven't found the right set of words to let Google find it for me. :\

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

As always, put on rubber gloves, wear eye protection, stand on an electrically insulating mat, dress in old clothes, avoid electrical shock by working with one hand in your pocket, and do it outdoors in a well ventilated area. Lastly, to avoid personal injury, have it done professionally.
- http://www.homemetalshopclub.org
whoanellie

"Carl West" wrote in message
et...

[...]

You might ask the Phillips Screw Co.
I guess they hold the patent.

---

Bob May

They're not all Phillips screwdrivers. There are other designs of the +
shaped bits and you have a combination of several different types.

--
There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans!
Go count if you don't believe me!

Leo Lichtman

Bob May wrote: They're not all Phillips screwdrivers (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^
When I was learning to service a number of foreign-made machines, we were
told that the metric + screwdrivers were sharper than the American ones. We
called them ALL Phillips screwdrivers. There is probably a lot more to the
answer than this.

What do you call a drink made from milk of magnesia and vodka? Ans.--a
Phillips screwdriver.

Robin S.

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Bob May wrote: They're not all Phillips screwdrivers (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^
When I was learning to service a number of foreign-made machines, we were
told that the metric + screwdrivers were sharper than the American ones.

We
called them ALL Phillips screwdrivers. There is probably a lot more to

the
answer than this.

More than likely Pozidrive. They are noticable because the driver has 4 tiny
extra *wings* offset 45º from the larger ones (like a Phillips). Typically
the two are not exactly interchangeable, but I suppose you could mismatch
them in a pinch.

Regards,

Robin

larry g

I believe that the sharp angled ones are Reed&Prince style.
lg
no neat sig line
"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Bob May wrote: They're not all Phillips screwdrivers (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^
When I was learning to service a number of foreign-made machines, we

were
told that the metric + screwdrivers were sharper than the American ones.

We
called them ALL Phillips screwdrivers. There is probably a lot more to

the
answer than this.

More than likely Pozidrive. They are noticable because the driver has 4

tiny
extra *wings* offset 45º from the larger ones (like a Phillips). Typically
the two are not exactly interchangeable, but I suppose you could mismatch
them in a pinch.

Regards,

Robin

Gary Coffman

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:35:24 GMT, Carl West wrote:
So I've got a bunch of beat up Phillips head drivers and I want to clean them up and make 'em useful again.

Some have a fairly acute angle to them, some are less so, which is right?

What I'd really like to find is the spec(s) for the geometry of the various sizes of Philips bits. I haven't found the right set of words to let Google find it for me. :\

US and Japanese Philips are different. The Japanese standard ones have
a more acute angle. A US Philips driver tends to round out Japanese standard
Philips screws. Found this out when we started getting Sony broadcast
equipment. We had to order sets of Japanese standard screwdrivers for
the shop to avoid ruining the screws.

They also use a different slotted screw design. It has a hole in the center
of the slot, and the driver has a pin. Really much better than the plain slotted
ones we use here.

Gary