Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good time to buy a drill driver

FYI

http://content.screwfix.com/E09W14A_...sion&source=aw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
FYI

http://content.screwfix.com/E09W14A_...sion&source=aw

I bought myself the Ryobi 'one+' drill/driver set for Christmas g -
and was so impressed with it that I've been collecting more tools from
the range over the past months.

Up to now I've always used 'no-name' cordless tools - but the difference
I've found with the Ryobi's has been amazing. I know that 'pros' would
probably sniff at them - but I'm impressed...

So much so that I also shelled out for their reciproicating saw (lovely
for 'pruning' our 9ft high fuschia hedge) and their impact driver (never
had one before and looking forward to using it on a 'big job'.

Anyway - Screwfix are offering the one+ hedge trimmer and the one+
strimmer for nearly £100 each (and they don't deliver to Ireland!)
However, good old CPC just delivered me both tools for 112.81 euro inc
VAT (about £100 total) - including 4 batteries and two chargers...

It's easy to get taken in by the old 'loss leader' strategy - and assume
that everything sold by the likes of Screwfix is a bargain - they have
ways of 'getting their own back'!

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"adrian" wrote in message
HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
FYI

http://content.screwfix.com/E09W14A_...sion&source=aw

I bought myself the Ryobi 'one+' drill/driver set for Christmas g - and
was so impressed with it that I've been collecting more tools from the
range over the past months.

Up to now I've always used 'no-name' cordless tools - but the difference
I've found with the Ryobi's has been amazing. I know that 'pros' would
probably sniff at them - but I'm impressed...

I know many pros who use Ryobi. Medium duty, they are perfectly suitable.
The ONE+ Impact Driver is good and cheap enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
FYI

http://content.screwfix.com/E09W14A_...sion&source=aw

The best deal on that page is probably the rebadged Makita jigsaw at £75
- not far off mid range money for a seriously good bit of kit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 10:27, John Rumm wrote:

The best deal on that page is probably the rebadged Makita jigsaw at £75
- not far off mid range money for a seriously good bit of kit.

What is that red "Site" stuff like? I know it's made in the same
factory as Makita, but what's the quality like? Chinese manufacturing
has got to the sophistication where location is no longer a guarantee
of comparable quality - now they can make each factory build to any
quality / price level they like, according to what their marketing
people think will turn the most profit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 May 2009 07:28:32 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

FYI

http://content.screwfix.com/E09W14A_...sion&source=aw

Thanks for the link. I'm tempted by the Erbauer 14.4V Li-Ion Drill
Driver but it seems amazingly cheap. Anyone know whether these are
any good?

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 10:54, Mark wrote:

I'm tempted by the Erbauer 14.4V Li-Ion Drill
Driver but it seems amazingly cheap. *Anyone know whether these are
any good?

90 for Li-ion ? That's cheap! Cheap enough I'd be tempted just to
try it. Erbauer seems middling, but two lions for that price ought to
pay for itself.

The Makita "two for one while we can still sell cadmium" bargain pack
is still a good deal.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38686/...OCFFI?ts=20759
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 5 May, 10:27, John Rumm wrote:

The best deal on that page is probably the rebadged Makita jigsaw at £75
- not far off mid range money for a seriously good bit of kit.

What is that red "Site" stuff like? I know it's made in the same
factory as Makita, but what's the quality like? Chinese manufacturing

I am guessing (never having actually used any Site branded kit in anger)
that it is exactly the same as last years model of Makita... From the
look of it (I have handled one unpowered at a trade counter), it feels
just like the real thing.

has got to the sophistication where location is no longer a guarantee
of comparable quality - now they can make each factory build to any
quality / price level they like, according to what their marketing
people think will turn the most profit.

Oh indeed. It may be that the quality of windings or something is lower
etc, although the solidity and weight are there, as is the cast
baseplate etc. If I didn't already have the real thing, I think that is
a case where I would be willing to take a punt at least once just to see.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 5 May, 10:54, Mark wrote:

I'm tempted by the Erbauer 14.4V Li-Ion Drill
Driver but it seems amazingly cheap. Anyone know whether these are
any good?

90 for Li-ion ? That's cheap! Cheap enough I'd be tempted just to
try it. Erbauer seems middling, but two lions for that price ought to
pay for itself.

The Makita "two for one while we can still sell cadmium" bargain pack
is still a good deal.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38686/...OCFFI?ts=20759

Only two batteries though & I suspect they are only 1.3a/hr.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 5 May, 10:54, Mark wrote:

I'm tempted by the Erbauer 14.4V Li-Ion Drill
Driver but it seems amazingly cheap. Anyone know whether these are
any good?

90 for Li-ion ? That's cheap! Cheap enough I'd be tempted just to
try it. Erbauer seems middling, but two lions for that price ought to
pay for itself.

The Makita "two for one while we can still sell cadmium" bargain pack
is still a good deal.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38686/...OCFFI?ts=20759

Only two batteries though & I suspect they are only 1.3a/hr.

Still a reasonable deal, and the charger will handle a pair of better
NiMh batts when it comes time to replace.

--
Cheers,

John.