Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Builder left debris behind ...

... in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 8:44*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/11 8:52 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:44 pm, "Percival P. wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

When I opened up a knee wall area to put in storage shelves, part of the
framing created small cavities that were to be covered with drywall.

Before I closed it up, I had each of my 4 kids draw a picture, sign it,
date it and stash it in a cavity. If anyone ever remodels that room,
they'll find a few cute surprises.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jul 4, 8:44*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our
30+ yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to
pick it up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

Beer cans.

Workman took a crap in the toilet and did not flush it.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:iutmq5$5rs$1
@dont-email.me:

.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Oh, yeah.

You should see what's under the concrete in your basement, and under the
topsoil in your yard.

I think the problem has gotten worse than in previous years, since many
places no longer allow builders to burn debris on-site like they used to.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 9:08*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:iutmq5$5rs$1
@dont-email.me:

.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Oh, yeah.

You should see what's under the concrete in your basement, and under the
topsoil in your yard.

I think the problem has gotten worse than in previous years, since many
places no longer allow builders to burn debris on-site like they used to.

--
Tegger

My comment will go off topic but this string made me think of it.

About a year ago we were doing some repair on our 5th wheel trailer so
we could sell it. On one side the basement floor floor had a small
area where the plywood sub-floor had rotted (basement is a lower
storage compartment on these RVs). I decided to do the repair right
and cut out an entire section of the floor and replaced it with
plywood. When the floor panel was removed the insulation, which
rested on a rubber belly membrane, was damp. I pulled the insulation
out and got some similar fiberglass bat insulation to replace it. As
I was preparing to install the insulation it occurred to me if water
found its way in again, the insulation would again get soaked, again
exposing the lower plywood to rot.

At that time we were cleaning up the gift shop of the museum where we
do volunteer work. I remembered we had a bunch of 2" rubber balls we
were going to donate to the towns Christmas parade group for give-
away's. When it went to the museum I also found a box full of yellow
rubber ducks that were also slated for give away, so I grabbed a hand
full.

The dozen or so balls and ducks worked well. I scattered them around
the rubber membrane, put the insulation bat in and installed the new
plywood floor. A little Bondo smoothed things out and I reinstalled
the vinyl flooring. It was as good as new.

As I was cleaning up a vision came to mind. Some day, in the future,
some RV repair guy was called on to fix wiring or plumbing in this
area. As they often do, he was lie under the trailer with a box knife
and slice the section of membrane away for access. He would then be
pummeled with an avalanche or rubber ducks and balls. "What the
F***!!!!

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 10:35*pm, RonB wrote:
On Jul 4, 9:08*pm, Tegger wrote:

[...]

RonB- Hide quoted text -

over the years i have left time capsules in previous homes. kinda
leaving my mark.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2011 9:35 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jul 4, 9:08 pm, wrote:
"Percival P. wrote in news:iutmq5$5rs$1
@dont-email.me:

[...]

U R Mean. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 10:10*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 7/4/2011 9:35 PM, RonB wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:08 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Didn't start off that way - cheap way to space the insulation. But I
would like to be hiding in the corner if anyone ever opens that
bay. :^}

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 12:20*am, "
wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:48:37 -0400, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 07/04/11 8:52 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:44 pm, "Percival P. *wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our 30+
yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to pick it
up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

When I opened up a knee wall area to put in storage shelves, part of the
framing created small cavities that were to be covered with drywall.

Before I closed it up, I had each of my 4 kids draw a picture, sign it,
date it and stash it in a cavity. If anyone ever remodels that room,
they'll find a few cute surprises.

I know people who have put the day's newspaper in such places. *The way
newspapers are going, those who find them likely won't have a clue what they
are. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it's time to start sticking iPads and Kindles in the wall.

Those will be ancient technology by the time the walls get opened up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 02:05:18 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our
30+ yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty
sheetrock adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be
bothered to pick it up and take it away. Is/was this a common
practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

Beer cans.

Workman took a crap in the toilet and did not flush it.

I wasn't going to go there but at least they made it into the toilet.

When scrounging a job site for drywall buckets, I've learned to pull off
the tops of any buckets to make sure they are empty. Of course, you know,
I took home a bucket of **** once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
When scrounging a job site for drywall buckets, I've learned to pull
off the tops of any buckets to make sure they are empty. Of course,
you know, I took home a bucket of **** once.

I saw you - the guy with the sh.t eating grin running with the bucket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

Red Green wrote:
When scrounging a job site for drywall buckets, I've learned to pull
off the tops of any buckets to make sure they are empty. Of course,
you know, I took home a bucket of **** once.

I saw you - the guy with the sh.t eating grin running with the bucket.

Was wondering why your grin was bigger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 9:50*am, Red Green wrote:
" wrote :

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 02:05:18 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our
30+ yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty
sheetrock adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be
bothered to pick it up and take it away. Is/was this a common
practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

Beer cans.

Workman took a crap in the toilet and did not flush it.

I wasn't going to go there but at least they made it into the toilet.

When scrounging a job site for drywall buckets, I've learned to pull off
the tops of any buckets to make sure they are empty. Of course, you know,
I took home a bucket of **** once.- Hide quoted text -

My grandfather was a mason. In his day, they would sh*t in the empty
concrete bags and toss them into the back of a truck to take to the
dump.

He loved to tell the story of how he was teaching a young mason the
tricks of the trade.

"After laying a few courses, step back a bit to make sure your lines
are straight."

He was so engrossed in the "teaching moment" that he forgot he
standing on some scaffolding. He fell backward off the scaffolding
into the back of a truck.

Luckily a bag of sh*t cushioned his fall. Not so lucky was that the
sh*t squirted out of the bag.

From some reason the young mason didn't want Grandpa to teach him
anything else that day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some of the floor in my trailer is insulated with styrofoam
packing peanuts. Same concept.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RonB" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, if you hid an ipad, it would be "quaint" and "antique"
when found.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Before I closed it up, I had each of my 4 kids draw a
picture, sign it,
date it and stash it in a cavity. If anyone ever remodels
that room,
they'll find a few cute surprises.

I know people who have put the day's newspaper in such
places. The way
newspapers are going, those who find them likely won't have
a clue what they
are. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Quit that! I just wrote that....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I know people who have put the day's newspaper in such
places. The way
newspapers are going, those who find them likely won't
have a clue what they
are. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it's time to start sticking iPads and Kindles in the
wall.

Those will be ancient technology by the time the walls get
opened up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's pathetic. And disappointing, I'm sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Workman took a crap in the toilet and did not flush it.

I wasn't going to go there but at least they made it into
the toilet.

When scrounging a job site for drywall buckets, I've learned
to pull off
the tops of any buckets to make sure they are empty. Of
course, you know,
I took home a bucket of **** once.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 02:05:18 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

wrote:

On Jul 4, 8:44 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
.. in the cavity behind the one-piece bath/shower surround of our
30+ yr-old house -- many offcuts of sheetrock and an empty sheetrock
adhesive container. I assume they simply couldn't be bothered to
pick it up and take it away. Is/was this a common practice?

Perce

yeah I have found all sorts of stuff in walls. Including glass milk
bottles from 1949 when this home as built..

Beer cans.

Workman took a crap in the toilet and did not flush it.

I wasn't going to go there but at least they made it into the toilet.

Yeah, I have heard of them using the heating ducts in the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 22:45:52 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Jul 5, 5:20*am, "
wrote:
[...]

My previous house was around five hundred years old.

Are you the original owner?

I did some replastering work and behind the old plaster I found a
fireplace in the wall thickness (which was stone, over four feet
thick.)
The hole had been filled with loose stones which I removed in order to
cement them back as not being cemented had caused the trouble.
It was filled with all sorts of junk including pottery, jars, glass
bottles, leather shoes, toys, big nails. I found out it was about 150
years old. Apparently it was customary to put stuff like this in the
house walls for good luck. So, I deemed it wise to put it back.

In another part of the house I found a horse shoe built into the wall.
This must have been done when the house was orginally built. I put
that back as well. No point in taking chances.
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://
www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2"
xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
Document
nameKmlFile/name
Style id="sn_ylw-pushpin01"
IconStyle
scale1.1/scale
Icon
hrefhttp://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pushpin/ylw-pushpin.png/
href
/Icon
hotSpot x="20" y="2" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/
/IconStyle
/Style
Style id="sh_ylw-pushpin2"
IconStyle
scale1.3/scale
Icon
hrefhttp://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pushpin/ylw-pushpin.png/
href
/Icon
hotSpot x="20" y="2" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/
/IconStyle
/Style
StyleMap id="msn_ylw-pushpin130"
Pair
keynormal/key
styleUrl#sn_ylw-pushpin01/styleUrl
/Pair
Pair
keyhighlight/key
styleUrl#sh_ylw-pushpin2/styleUrl
/Pair
/StyleMap
Placemark
nameTy'r Ywen Farm./name
LookAt
longitude-3.020987665836357/longitude
latitude51.73579878392064/latitude
altitude0/altitude
heading0.01776560955128439/heading
tilt0/tilt
range47.49720295966286/range
altitudeModerelativeToGround/altitudeMode
gx:altitudeModerelativeToSeaFloor/gx:altitudeMode
/LookAt
styleUrl#msn_ylw-pushpin130/styleUrl
Point
coordinates-3.020987665836357,51.73579878392064,0/coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/Document
/kml

But no skeletons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 17:46:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Now, if you hid an ipad, it would be "quaint" and "antique"
when found.

Go to the store and buy a kid's toy and put it in the wall, in it's box. It'll
be worth a fortune.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Now, if you hid an ipad, it would be "quaint" and "antique"
when found.

Go to the store and buy a kid's toy and put it in the wall, in it's box. It'll
be worth a fortune.

We have saved all the dolls, and the boxes they came in since 1978.

Good for you! Alas, most of my son's toys were broken and discarded. He had
all of the original Transformers, as well as a good number of the Star Wars
collection. His Voltron did make it, but no box. My wife has an original
Barbie - no box. The box is worth far more than the doll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wish I still had the Star Trek Communicator I got when I was
a boy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Now, if you hid an ipad, it would be "quaint" and "antique"
when found.

Go to the store and buy a kid's toy and put it in the wall,
in it's box. It'll
be worth a fortune.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Now, if you hid an ipad, it would be "quaint" and "antique"
when found.

Go to the store and buy a kid's toy and put it in the wall, in it's box. It'll
be worth a fortune.

We have saved all the dolls, and the boxes they came in since 1978.

Good for you! Alas, most of my son's toys were broken and discarded. *He had
all of the original Transformers, as well as a good number of the Star Wars
collection. *His Voltron did make it, but no box. *My wife has an original
Barbie - no box. *The box is worth far more than the doll.

Hey, there's an opening. How difficult can it be to make boxes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2011 5:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's pathetic. And disappointing, I'm sure.

-- Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . "Red Green" wrote in message ...
Workman took a crap in the toilet and did not flush it.

I wasn't going to go there but at least they made it into
the toilet.

When scrounging a job site for drywall buckets, I've learned
to pull off
the tops of any buckets to make sure they are empty. Of
course, you know,
I took home a bucket of **** once.

(Damnit, Normy, if you MUST top-post, QUIT using a sig delimiter. PITA
to paste stuff back in.)

I learned as a young kid doing construction cleanup- if the lid was
pounded back onto the bucket, throw it away unopened. And look around
corners in closets before you sweep with a pushbroom- those roach-coach
milk cartons in use back then made great one-use urinals.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

(Damnit, Normy, if you MUST top-post, QUIT using a sig delimiter. PITA
to paste stuff back in.)

I've noticed that too. It's an inconvenient setup, from a replier's point
of view.

Luckily, my news client (XNews) allows me to defeat the "-- " sig function
simply by highlighting the text I wish to quote in my reply before
replying.

"Normy" can defeat it himself by simply removing the space after the
double-hyphen. If he knows how to do that...

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tegger wrote:

aemeijers wrote in
:

(Damnit, Normy, if you MUST top-post, QUIT using a sig delimiter. PITA
to paste stuff back in.)

I've noticed that too. It's an inconvenient setup, from a replier's point
of view.

Luckily, my news client (XNews) allows me to defeat the "-- " sig function
simply by highlighting the text I wish to quote in my reply before
replying.

"Normy" can defeat it himself by simply removing the space after the
double-hyphen. If he knows how to do that...

Unlike Jesus, Normy clearly doesn't give a god damn rat's ass about the
preferences or convenience of others. However, the "select text first"
approach works on my newsreader, also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2011 12:37 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've noticed that too. It's an inconvenient setup, from a replier's point
of view.

Luckily, my news client (XNews) allows me to defeat the "-- " sig function
simply by highlighting the text I wish to quote in my reply before
replying.

"Normy" can defeat it himself by simply removing the space after the
double-hyphen. If he knows how to do that...

Unlike Jesus, Normy clearly doesn't give a god damn rat's ass about the
preferences or convenience of others. However, the "select text first"
approach works on my newsreader, also.

Oh, like this?

Learn something every day on here- I'll try to remember it for next
time, but with my swiss-cheese memory, who knows?

I'm using Thunderbird at the moment, if anyone cares...

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/05/11 5:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Quit that! I just wrote that....

-- Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I know people who have put the day's newspaper in such
places. The way
newspapers are going, those who find them likely won't
have a clue what they
are. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it's time to start sticking iPads and Kindles in the
wall.

Those will be ancient technology by the time the walls get
opened up.

I wrote that *days* ago.

Loft debris mike[_7_] UK diy 5 April 19th 11 09:23 PM
Greenish debris coming from hot tap None UK diy 44 March 5th 10 05:10 PM
composting gutter debris Kyle Home Repair 2 November 23rd 09 03:35 AM
Debris Chute MB Home Repair 7 December 27th 05 06:08 PM
hot water heater debris iradi8 Home Repair 6 January 24th 05 03:07 PM