Posted to alt.home.repair

Default composting gutter debris

I just cleaned the gutters of the house we bought last year, and there
was ~1" of a sandy dirty debris in the bottom of the gutters. It
looked like some dirt mixed with the sandy/pebbly offal from the
roof's shingles.

I'm thinking this might be very good to add to the composting bin, or
very bad. Anyone have experience doing this, or know if this stuff
might contain something that would be harmful either to the bacteria
breaking down the compost or to the vegetable garden once we add it
there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:28:25 -0800 (PST), Kyle
wrote:

I just cleaned the gutters of the house we bought last year, and there
was ~1" of a sandy dirty debris in the bottom of the gutters. It
looked like some dirt mixed with the sandy/pebbly offal from the
roof's shingles.

I'm thinking this might be very good to add to the composting bin, or
very bad. Anyone have experience doing this, or know if this stuff
might contain something that would be harmful either to the bacteria
breaking down the compost or to the vegetable garden once we add it
there?

Sure you can add it. There is *some* asphalt/cinders in it that won't
compost, but maybe you can separate that out? I usually throw gutter
debris across the grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 7:28*pm, Kyle wrote:
I just cleaned the gutters of the house we bought last year, and there
was ~1" of a sandy dirty debris in the bottom of the gutters. It
looked like some dirt mixed with the sandy/pebbly offal from the
roof's shingles.

I'm thinking this might be very good to add to the composting bin, or
very bad. Anyone have experience doing this, or know if this stuff
might contain something that would be harmful either to the bacteria
breaking down the compost or to the vegetable garden once we add it
there?

It's great to add, the granules help to keep the soil from compacting
and the debris from leaves and seed pods is good compost

composting toilets legal? Okikuru Home Ownership 2 January 30th 09 01:20 AM
Composting Edward W. Thompson UK diy 16 October 18th 08 01:27 PM
Composting toilets Eigenvector Home Repair 19 August 26th 07 10:04 AM
low odour grass composting station: build or buy? links, tips wanted bent Woodworking 12 May 8th 07 05:04 PM
Speaking of composting.... [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 20th 06 11:31 PM