Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Composting toilets

Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 8/24/2007 2:41 PM Eigenvector said the following:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

Not to mention a compost pile.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

Great reading for enjoying one's day off:

http://weblife.org/humanure/default.html

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

http://www.google.com/search?q=rockefeller%20compost

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:

Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

If you look at the recommendations for pumping a septic tank you'll find
for a single occupancy house with a typical 1,000 gal septic tank and no
kitchen garbage disposer you pretty much don't have to pump the tank
since there is virtually no chance of adding to the sludge at a rate
faster than the bacteria can do their thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 8/24/2007 4:35 PM Pete C. said the following:
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Yep, chicken bones don't decay as fast as stool. Hell, there are
dinosaur bones (not fossilized) that are still being dug up.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Pete C. wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I try to tell my wife that but she insists in having pumped out every
2-3 years. But even so, with cost of pumping, I think it would be
foolish to put in a composting toilet which probably costs thousands of
dollars. I'm only familiar with one composting toilet. It's in a park
with no water and is solar powered and always stinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

It doesn't work that way in our district. Here a septic drain field is
impossibly large by code, much much larger than the one my house was built
on. My presumption is that they are trying to encourage everyone to get
onto sewer. Until my septic fails I won't do that - or at least until they
put a lien on my property.

I was wondering about the composting toilet because it would dramatically
change the lifespan of an older drain field.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:41:15 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

Used, yes. Worked fine, clean and odorless. I understand it was very
little maintenance work.

It was a Clivus multrum -- they've been around 30+ years in North America,
longer than that in Sweden. If you feel like you need a flush toilet,
they've got a foam-flush model that uses only a tiny amount of water.
http://www.clivusmultrum.com/products_basic.shtml,

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Kay

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 8/24/2007 7:19 PM Eigenvector said the following:
"Ann" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

It doesn't work that way in our district. Here a septic drain field is
impossibly large by code, much much larger than the one my house was built
on. My presumption is that they are trying to encourage everyone to get
onto sewer. Until my septic fails I won't do that - or at least until they
put a lien on my property.

I was wondering about the composting toilet because it would dramatically
change the lifespan of an older drain field.

Where I lived before, we had a septic system. They put in municipal
sewers and although you didn't have to hook up to the muni system, they
charged you as if you were connected.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

Used, yes. Worked fine, clean and odorless. I understand it was very
little maintenance work.

It was a Clivus multrum -- they've been around 30+ years in North America,
longer than that in Sweden. If you feel like you need a flush toilet,
they've got a foam-flush model that uses only a tiny amount of water.
http://www.clivusmultrum.com/products_basic.shtml,

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Kay

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while to
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"willshak" wrote in message
on 8/24/2007 7:19 PM Eigenvector said the following:
"Ann" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" expounded:

[...]

That would **** me off - getting charged for something you don't need or
use.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
on 8/24/2007 7:19 PM Eigenvector said the following:
"Ann" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" expounded:

[...]

If I put in a new well I must pay to have the old one capped. I'd like
to use it just for Irrigation but big brother says one well per
dwelling.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

g'day eigenvector,

we sued a composting toilet when we lived in rural, they are the
greatest product out and if fitted to all homes would save lots of
water resources in our drought ridden towns.

the one we used was natur-loo (you will be able to google a link to
their site), even if you can't get it over there it will give you a
look at waht is a very simple versatile system, with very minimal
mechanical application involved (if you have good wind where you are
then there is no need for the electric driven vent fans).

we ran ours as dry system meaning all but incidental urines was kept
out of the system (that is better used fresh onto food trees or
gardens), we were very pleased.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:41:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.gardens.]
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:49:28 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while to
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

I was at Powell's technical today, and did they every have a book for you:
Lloyd Kahn's Septic System Owners' Manual (rev). Included an early 20th
century composter built from a wooden barrel...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while to
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

Thought about something else... what does it cost to plumb a bathroom?
Pipe ain't cheap, either, and plumbers are downright pricey...

Kay

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 8/25/07 6:23 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 8/24/07 6:08 PM, in article
,
"Ann" wrote:

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).

But Ann, don't you need to put in a Title 5 septic system prior to the land
changing hands? May it be a long time from now...

If you sell your house you need to have a Title 5 inspection done. If
your system passes (it won't if it's older than ten years or so) then
you're good to go. If it doesn't, then it has to be repaired or
replaced. The selling price can be adjusted so the seller does it, if
it's decided the buyer is going to do it, he/she'd better have their
own financing because lenders won't lend on it until the system is
fixed.

And it's a great scam, lots of official paperwork arrives at homes,
especially those belonging to the elderly, claiming all homes must have
Title 5 septic by (fill in the date).....

I did it because I had to, the cesspool failed. I have no plans on
selling, but it's good to know it's done. We just had it pumped for
the first time, every three years we'll get it done again.

(BTW - it is total crook of **** in my book)

The way the regulations are written yes, it is. In more ways than
one! G

In every possible way actually!

low odour grass composting station: build or buy? links, tips wanted bent Woodworking 12 May 8th 07 05:04 PM
Old toilets # Fred # Home Repair 13 August 18th 06 02:26 AM
Speaking of composting.... [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 20th 06 11:31 PM
One Piece Toilets [email protected] UK diy 10 July 5th 05 08:11 PM
Toilets... dirty stinking toilets! dougga Home Repair 6 October 27th 04 06:56 PM